Hearing aids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Ok, hearing your description of the fan that probably wouldn't be good for me. I think a simple white noise machine would be better with my noise sensitivity levels. I might technically have a little bit of hearing loss, but what I can hear I am super sensitive to.
    Something quieter than what I have wouldn't work for me, but most white noise machines should have a volume control. You can also find videos on YouTube that are recordings of rain, and some of them don't have birds or thunder. I'm sure there are other recordings of white noise on YouTube, and there are websites that will convert a YouTube video to mp3 if you need to. Those sites do tend to have a lot of ads and questionable pop-ups so preferably you'd figure out how to play the video directly. Do you have a computer with decent speakers or another way to play YouTube videos in your bedroom? Even speakers plugged into your phone or something.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Something quieter than what I have wouldn't work for me, but most white noise machines should have a volume control. You can also find videos on YouTube that are recordings of rain, and some of them don't have birds or thunder. I'm sure there are other recordings of white noise on YouTube, and there are websites that will convert a YouTube video to mp3 if you need to. Those sites do tend to have a lot of ads and questionable pop-ups so preferably you'd figure out how to play the video directly. Do you have a computer with decent speakers or another way to play YouTube videos in your bedroom? Even speakers plugged into your phone or something.
      Well, I have a computer in my room yeah, but it not only emits light that makes sleep very difficult, but is hooked up to a TV screen for a monitor instead of having speakers and a monitor. I might be able to hook up a cell phone to do that, but not sure it would work well given its level of volume options.

Comment

reading up on the hearing aids for Tinnitus, they seem to work by making sounds loud enough to mask the tinnitus. I guess that makes sense since I don't really notice the ringing when I am in a noisy situation, but hear it more when I am in a quiet room and nothing to take my mind off of it.

I have seen some apps that try to do some weird tricks to get rid of tinnitus like playing back an out of phase sound to what you are hearing (you have to play with the settings to get the right frequency that matches your tinnitus) but none of the ones I tried did any good.

Comment

Well, I have a computer in my room yeah, but it not only emits light that makes sleep very difficult, but is hooked up to a TV screen for a monitor instead of having speakers and a monitor. I might be able to hook up a cell phone to do that, but not sure it would work well given its level of volume options.
          If you have an Echo, Alexa can play ambient sounds, from rain to fan sounds. "Alexa, Open Fan Sounds" or "Alexa, open Ambient Sounds" "Alexa, open up Ambient Noise"

Comment

If the computer emits light, there are black stickers you can get to cover power indicator lights and such. If it has lighting like what's popular on gaming computers nowadays, you can turn that off in motherboard settings.

​​​​​​For the speakers, I would get a decent set of speakers so you can turn the monitor off once you turn on the sounds. It would probably sound better than built-in speakers anyway and the monitor would emit no light. Speakers that have their own power supply (i.e. they plug into a wall outlet) can also be used with a cell phone. Separate speakers will also have a volume control that is independent of the phone's volume control. For the best sound, you'd set your phone volume right at the middle and use the volume control on the speakers for adjusting volume.

Using speakers will allow much more variety in finding white noise that works for you. If you get a white noise generator, they generally have something like five options for different sounds.

Comment

If the computer emits light, there are black stickers you can get to cover power indicator lights and such. If it has lighting like what's popular on gaming computers nowadays, you can turn that off in motherboard settings.

​​​​​​For the speakers, I would get a decent set of speakers so you can turn the monitor off once you turn on the sounds. It would probably sound better than built-in speakers anyway and the monitor would emit no light. Speakers that have their own power supply (i.e. they plug into a wall outlet) can also be used with a cell phone. Separate speakers will also have a volume control that is independent of the phone's volume control. For the best sound, you'd set your phone volume right at the middle and use the volume control on the speakers for adjusting volume.

Using speakers will allow much more variety in finding white noise that works for you. If you get a white noise generator, they generally have something like five options for different sounds.
              Well, it comes with a remote for the LED's case fans and those are easy to turn off, but the graphics card has in big glowing letters "GIGABYTE" on the side, and there is an orange strip on the motherboard itself that lights up in orange. I guess I'll look in the boot options to see if I can turn those off.
              The problem would be getting the sound to come out of the TV with it off. The phone doesn't work the best since it is basically my brother's old model that he gave me so I could play a couple mobile games on it. I'm not sure it would work too well.

Comment

Well, it comes with a remote for the LED's case fans and those are easy to turn off, but the graphics card has in big glowing letters "GIGABYTE" on the side, and there is an orange strip on the motherboard itself that lights up in orange. I guess I'll look in the boot options to see if I can turn those off.
                Do you know how to get into the BIOS during the boot sequence? Or do you need help with that? What motherboard do you have?

The problem would be getting the sound to come out of the TV with it off. The phone doesn't work the best since it is basically my brother's old model that he gave me so I could play a couple mobile games on it. I'm not sure it would work too well.
                That's why I'm recommending separate speakers. Using either the computer or the phone would work fine. You wouldn't need the TV to be on because the speakers would be plugged into the computer directly, not the TV. And if your phone is capable of playing a YouTube video in the phone's internet browser or playing an mp3 with the built-in media player, it will work with the speakers, too.

Comment

Do you know how to get into the BIOS during the boot sequence? Or do you need help with that? What motherboard do you have?

That's why I'm recommending separate speakers. Using either the computer or the phone would work fine. You wouldn't need the TV to be on because the speakers would be plugged into the computer directly, not the TV. And if your phone is capable of playing a YouTube video in the phone's internet browser or playing an mp3 with the built-in media player, it will work with the speakers, too.
                  My dad might have some old speakers. Yeah, I know how to get into the BIOS, I'll check into it a bit later. Probably tomorrow when I boot up my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I have a 30 day trial period from today. And I can't download the apps to do remote fixes because my stupid iPad is too old. So if I can't get them on my phone then I won't have that option and will have to go see her if I need any adjustments.
                    I hate it that a $300 iPad because pretty much an expensive alarm clock because you can't update most of the stuff you used it for.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I hate it that a $300 iPad because pretty much an expensive alarm clock because you can't update most of the stuff you used it for.
                      I love old Android phones because you can update and install whatever you want as long as it's still useable. I never trade in my old one because I find things to use them for. My ancient Samsung Infuse was retired only a few months ago only because the battery was swollen. That was its second battery, too. I still have my Galaxy S4 but the charging port has gotten loose and wobbly and it's hard to charge now but it was my media player in the kitchen. My current phone is a two year old Galaxy S10e and it's just now paid off, so I'm going to use it as long as I can because it's nice to only pay $14/mo for service only and not have to still pay for the phone itself.

I don't buy Apple products because I don't like the manufacturer deciding I'm done using something before I can decide that for myself. I use things as long as I can before replacing them. One of my pajama shirts is an Old Navy 4th of July t-shirt from 2003. I'll throw it away the day after it falls apart when I put it on and not a moment before.

Comment

I love old Android phones because you can update and install whatever you want as long as it's still useable. I never trade in my old one because I find things to use them for. My ancient Samsung Infuse was retired only a few months ago only because the battery was swollen. That was its second battery, too. I still have my Galaxy S4 but the charging port has gotten loose and wobbly and it's hard to charge now but it was my media player in the kitchen. My current phone is a two year old Galaxy S10e and it's just now paid off, so I'm going to use it as long as I can because it's nice to only pay $14/mo for service only and not have to still pay for the phone itself.

I don't buy Apple products because I don't like the manufacturer deciding I'm done using something before I can decide that for myself. I use things as long as I can before replacing them. One of my pajama shirts is an Old Navy 4th of July t-shirt from 2003. I'll throw it away the day after it falls apart when I put it on and not a moment before.
                        I think the opposite. My android tablet, an Asus Transformer, which I paid $500 for was only updated once by Asus after I got it, then they stopped. I can't install anything else on it, can't update android, and now it is obsolete because I can't update the apps. It sits in a drawer. I had an iphone 6 that I used for over 5 years before I updated to a 10, and it STILL accepted IOS updates from Apple. In fact iphone 6's still can update to the latest ios https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/18/iphon...ted-by-ios-14/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I think the opposite. My android tablet, an Asus Transformer, which I paid $500 for was only updated once by Asus after I got it, then they stopped. I can't install anything else on it, can't update android, and now it is obsolete because I can't update the apps. It sits in a drawer. I had an iphone 6 that I used for over 5 years before I updated to a 10, and it STILL accepted IOS updates from Apple. In fact iphone 6's still can update to the latest ios https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/18/iphon...ted-by-ios-14/
                          Maybe it's a Samsung thing then. My Infuse was about 9 years old.

The one iPad I had, I got from my aunt when she got a new one and I never got to use it much because I couldn't update it to the most recent OS and couldn't install old versions of apps. At the time, only the most recent version of apps could be installed so if you had hardware with an old OS, you couldn't install anything. I think my main problem is that they limit being able to install older versions of apps on hardware that can't receive OS updates anymore.

Comment

Yeah, it's like when Microsoft kinda forced us into 'upgrading' to Windows to keep up with technology, and older PCs simply weren't designed to run that much bloatware. I would take those older PCs and fire up Linux on them, using them for gateway bridges, or routers, file servers, print servers, fax servers or whatever. It took so little RAM and hardware to run Linux on an otherwise un-Windowsable computer.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Darlin', I paid $600 for mine in 2013. Yeah, it's pretty sucky. And I don't feel like shelling out another 6 or 8 hundred after dropping 4 grand yesterday for hearing aids.

But I was able to download the apps on my phone, although there is one function that doesn't work on the android systems.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Darlin', I paid $600 for mine in 2013. Yeah, it's pretty sucky. And I don't feel like shelling out another 6 or 8 hundred after dropping 4 grand yesterday for hearing aids.

But I was able to download the apps on my phone, although there is one function that doesn't work on the android systems.
                                Have you had a chance to know if they're working for ya?

Comment