No announcement yet.

Hearing aids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhhhhh yes. This is very common for hard of hearing folks (me included)....they just can't shut the background noise off. It doesn't matter if you gradually lose hearing or lost it because of rock music or whatever. There are aids that CAN be programmed to screen out background noise.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

There are even aid that work with tinnitus! I'm not sure how it works. I get tinnitus a lot especially during allergy season.

Comment

Just got a phone call from my audiologist and my hearing aids are already here! I'm heading down in an hour to get them.

Thought I had a little more time to get used to the idea..............

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          There are even aid that work with tinnitus! I'm not sure how it works. I get tinnitus a lot especially during allergy season.
          I have it 24/7 and it is annoying. It is just another reason I don't like a very quiet room anymore. I'm at this weird point where I need something to distract me from the tinnitus, but not something too bad that it will overwhelm me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I don't have ADHD, but I have sensory overload and some other atypical traits I'm just now finding out aren't "normal". I do prefer background noise at night as a cacophony of noises makes it difficult to sleep otherwise. I should probably get a machine that generates it.
            I use a very noisy squirrel cage type fan at night. It sits in the hallway just outside the bedroom door and it is loud enough to block most outside noise. I live on a very busy main road and I can hear traffic from my bedroom. I don't really need the fan for air ventilation, so sometimes it's not even pointed into the room.

​​​​​​This is the fan I have (the price has increased since I bought mine though):
            https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-65570...ley+fan&sr=8-5
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I have it 24/7 and it is annoying. It is just another reason I don't like a very quiet room anymore. I'm at this weird point where I need something to distract me from the tinnitus, but not something too bad that it will overwhelm me.
              You may want to talk to someone then...my understanding is those aids works on canceling frequencies that you hear....I think! (Try QF's suggestion of a fan...)

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Just got a phone call from my audiologist and my hearing aids are already here! I'm heading down in an hour to get them.

Thought I had a little more time to get used to the idea..............
                They may tell you to give it a month to adjust to what you hear. The brain has to reinterpret sounds.

Comment

You may want to talk to someone then...my understanding is those aids works on canceling frequencies that you hear....I think! (Try QF's suggestion of a fan...)
                  I have in the past. From what I understand it is due to nerve damage and my jaw clenching in my sleep. All these hearing aids I'm looking up do is make white noise constantly. Most of the time it's a pretty low level, so I've gotten used to it for the most part. Even if they did work I don't think our insurance covers them. My mom needs normal hearing aids, but they won't pay for much at all.

I'll look into a fan or white noise machine, and check out QF's link.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

I use a very noisy squirrel cage type fan at night. It sits in the hallway just outside the bedroom door and it is loud enough to block most outside noise. I live on a very busy main road and I can hear traffic from my bedroom. I don't really need the fan for air ventilation, so sometimes it's not even pointed into the room.

​​​​​​This is the fan I have (the price has increased since I bought mine though):
                    https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-65570...ley+fan&sr=8-5
                    I'll look into it. Thanks.

Comment

They may tell you to give it a month to adjust to what you hear. The brain has to reinterpret sounds.
                      I have a 30 day trial period from today. And I can't download the apps to do remote fixes because my stupid iPad is too old. So if I can't get them on my phone then I won't have that option and will have to go see her if I need any adjustments.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I'll look into it. Thanks.
                        Amazon has ones that are cheaper, but the one I linked to is the only one I can recommend from experience. You might want to also look at Home Depot or Lowe's, they'll have ones meant for drying floors that are basically the same kind I have. Just make sure that wherever you buy it, you read reviews on their website first. If you see a lot of complaints that the fan is too loud, that's the one you want, lol.
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I have in the past. From what I understand it is due to nerve damage and my jaw clenching in my sleep. All these hearing aids I'm looking up do is make white noise constantly. Most of the time it's a pretty low level, so I've gotten used to it for the most part. Even if they did work I don't think our insurance covers them. My mom needs normal hearing aids, but they won't pay for much at all.

I'll look into a fan or white noise machine, and check out QF's link.
                          I hd to pay out of pocket for all except this one because due to the ACA the insurance cafeteria for the fed govt had to require their carriers to provide a flat amount per hearing aid for adults every five years. It was my understanding this was required for all policies. You check that?

Comment

I hd to pay out of pocket for all except this one because due to the ACA the insurance cafeteria for the fed govt had to require their carriers to provide a flat amount per hearing aid for adults every five years. It was my understanding this was required for all policies. You check that?
                            I mean, it is definitely possible this has changed since I last talked to her about that. I lose track of time much more easily now that I have RSD. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Amazon has ones that are cheaper, but the one I linked to is the only one I can recommend from experience. You might want to also look at Home Depot or Lowe's, they'll have ones meant for drying floors that are basically the same kind I have. Just make sure that wherever you buy it, you read reviews on their website first. If you see a lot of complaints that the fan is too loud, that's the one you want, lol.
                              Ok, hearing your description of the fan that probably wouldn't be good for me. I think a simple white noise machine would be better with my noise sensitivity levels. I might technically have a little bit of hearing loss, but what I can hear I am super sensitive to.

Comment

There are programs that can get you hearing aids if you can't afford them.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment