Hearing aids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's me. I can hear sounds really well but understanding what someone is saying if there is too much to filter out is the problem.

Went totally deaf back in kindergarten, had surgery but have always had problems with my left ear which got worse for various reasons over the years
    Have you tried hearing aids? I didn't know that you were deaf as a child and had surgery.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Have you tried hearing aids? I didn't know that you were deaf as a child and had surgery.

Yeah, my older brother thought I was faking it and would sneak up behind me and clap his hands trying to scare me. I wouldn't hear it but would be conscious of the concussion if you know what I mean. My parents told me that the reason that I talk loudly is that as I was going deaf I'd speak louder and louder because I couldn't hear myself.

Anywho had an operation. Don't know the details of it (they really don't explain much at that age back then). Have a story about going in for the surgery that tends to get the wimmenfolk to go "Awww" smiley dirtyflirt.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's me. I can hear sounds really well but understanding what someone is saying if there is too much to filter out is the problem.
        Question for everyone. Is it normal to be able to understand what others are saying in a moderately noisy environment (machinery running)? By moderately noisy, I mean not really loud enough to need ear plugs.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Question for everyone. Is it normal to be able to understand what others are saying in a moderately noisy environment (machinery running)? By moderately noisy, I mean not really loud enough to need ear plugs.
          I don't know, but one of my pet peeves is cop shows where a cop gets in a shoot-out, then arrests the bad guy, speaking in a calm voice and having no problems whatsoever hearing.

In real life, you're actually pretty much deaf for a day or two, or hear a loud ringing, and CERTAINLY don't speak in a normal voice, or hear without difficulty.

One night I was parked in a public park with my radio turned low, headlights off, engine not running, just listening to the night air, because there were reports of a rabid dog in that park at night.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, KUJO appears at my window, growling and snarling and foaming at the mouth, trying to get in my car, so I instinctively pulled my .357 magnum and shot 3 times, killing the dog. From inside the car! I got on the radio to let dispatch know, but they weren't answering. Or so I thought. I had to turn the radio up full volume to hear them answering me, and it was about 3 days before I could actually hear again.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I don't know, but one of my pet peeves is cop shows where a cop gets in a shoot-out, then arrests the bad guy, speaking in a calm voice and having no problems whatsoever hearing.

In real life, you're actually pretty much deaf for a day or two, or hear a loud ringing, and CERTAINLY don't speak in a normal voice, or hear without difficulty.

One night I was parked in a public park with my radio turned low, headlights off, engine not running, just listening to the night air, because there were reports of a rabid dog in that park at night.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, KUJO appears at my window, growling and snarling and foaming at the mouth, trying to get in my car, so I instinctively pulled my .357 magnum and shot 3 times, killing the dog. From inside the car! I got on the radio to let dispatch know, but they weren't answering. Or so I thought. I had to turn the radio up full volume to hear them answering me, and it was about 3 days before I could actually hear again.
            Lol, I don't mean quite that loud. We actually have a guy from maybe OSHA or somewhere come out anually to determine if our work environment is loud enough to require hearing protection, just because we run machinery. It has never been found loud enough, and I think it's by quite a margin. I just can't understand what people are saying four feet away from my face. It's also a problem on the phone, because I can't read lips over the phone. But at home, I can understand just fine.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              Lol, I don't mean quite that loud. We actually have a guy from maybe OSHA or somewhere come out anually to determine if our work environment is loud enough to require hearing protection, just because we run machinery. It has never been found loud enough, and I think it's by quite a margin. I just can't understand what people are saying four feet away from my face. It's also a problem on the phone, because I can't read lips over the phone. But at home, I can understand just fine.
              I do know that our frequency range of hearing changes throughout our lives, and there was even an article a while back about a phone app for kids where they could sit in class and text audible messages to the room that the other kids could hear, but teachers could not.

So, the frequency of the noise in a room may affect some people very strongly, but others not so much.

Also, for whatever reason, I noticed that in a church dinner / fellowship hall setting, where there are a lot of people in the room chatting with each other - I could hear the guy in the far corner of the room, but I was straining to hear the people across the table from me.

Hearing is weird.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have tinnitus in both ears (ringing in my ears), since I was in my 30s. I believe it was caused by working with ultrasonics when I was in my 20s. We made industrial ultrasonic cleaning machines and they were very loud when in the test tank. I made the ultrasonic generators and tested them.

I have had my hearing tested and I can mostly function around the high pitched ringing, but I often have to have the closed captioning on when watching TV shows or movies with a lot of background noise in a scene with speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I have tinnitus in both ears (ringing in my ears), since I was in my 30s. I believe it was caused by working with ultrasonics when I was in my 20s. We made industrial ultrasonic cleaning machines and they were very loud when in the test tank. I made the ultrasonic generators and tested them.

I have had my hearing tested and I can mostly function around the high pitched ringing, but I often have to have the closed captioning on when watching TV shows or movies with a lot of background noise in a scene with speech.

Have they mentioned anything when you had you hearing tested about how they are more concerned now about speech recognition than the mechanics of hearing loss?

My audiologist told me that I have mild hearing loss in my right ear, and mild to moderate in my left ear, but the greater concern was loss of speech recognition. She covered her face and I sat in a soundproof room with speakers in my ears, and she said several words that I had to repeat. I got far more correct with my right ear than my left. They were simple words, and I messed up on things like, "fin" and I thought she said "thin". So there are certain letters, speech sounds, that I am losing.

I also have trouble with certain shows that have a lot of background noise while there is dialogue going on. We like New Amsterdam, and the first season was awful, and I actually complained on their official Facebook page. They were playing drum riffs every time there was dialogue. I noticed that in subsequent seasons they've really quieted that, but now other shows are doing it, like The Rookie.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Have they mentioned anything when you had you hearing tested about how they are more concerned now about speech recognition than the mechanics of hearing loss?

My audiologist told me that I have mild hearing loss in my right ear, and mild to moderate in my left ear, but the greater concern was loss of speech recognition. She covered her face and I sat in a soundproof room with speakers in my ears, and she said several words that I had to repeat. I got far more correct with my right ear than my left. They were simple words, and I messed up on things like, "fin" and I thought she said "thin". So there are certain letters, speech sounds, that I am losing.

I also have trouble with certain shows that have a lot of background noise while there is dialogue going on. We like New Amsterdam, and the first season was awful, and I actually complained on their official Facebook page. They were playing drum riffs every time there was dialogue. I noticed that in subsequent seasons they've really quieted that, but now other shows are doing it, like The Rookie.

no they said nothing about speech recognition. So, what about deaf people? They don't have dementia. Seems like a odd thing to me. Or maybe they think that one of the signs of dementia is losing the ability in your brain to process speech, rather than actual physical hearing loss.

Comment

I do know that our frequency range of hearing changes throughout our lives, and there was even an article a while back about a phone app for kids where they could sit in class and text audible messages to the room that the other kids could hear, but teachers could not.

So, the frequency of the noise in a room may affect some people very strongly, but others not so much.

Also, for whatever reason, I noticed that in a church dinner / fellowship hall setting, where there are a lot of people in the room chatting with each other - I could hear the guy in the far corner of the room, but I was straining to hear the people across the table from me.

Hearing is weird.
                      Yup. Awhile back one chain of convenience stores used loud speakers to play an annoying squeal that adults wouldn't notice but would irritate teens hanging around in their parking lots.

As I said, I hear sounds just fine. It is understanding what is being said when there is ambient noise that's been my problem. And please enunciate

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yup. Awhile back one chain of convenience stores used loud speakers to play an annoying squeal that adults wouldn't notice but would irritate teens hanging around in their parking lots.

As I said, I hear sounds just fine. It is understanding what is being said when there is ambient noise that's been my problem. And please enunciate
                        Can you hear me now?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Can you hear me now?
                          WHAT?!? Ya gotta talk into my good ear sonny.

Seriously, I hear sounds real well. When I used to hunt I never missed the snap of a twig or rustle of leaves from 100' away.

Comment

That's why I think it's so valuable in communication to avoid contractions, particularly can and can't - would and wouldn't --- opposites, but often incorrectly heard.

(Maybe that's why I liked Ziva on NCIS -- she never used contractions! )

Comment

Many many years (in my early 30's or so, if I remember right) I thought I was starting to go deaf because I was gradually having a hard time hearing. I went to see our family doctor about it, and as it turned out I only had a good build-up of wax in my ears. Once the wax was flushed out, it was so good to suddenly be able to hear those rich bass and crisp treble sounds anew.
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

Many many years (in my early 30's or so, if I remember right) I thought I was starting to go deaf because I was gradually having a hard time hearing. I went to see our family doctor about it, and as it turned out I only had a good build-up of wax in my ears. Once the wax was flushed out, it was so good to suddenly be able to hear those rich bass and crisp treble sounds anew.
                                My dad had a terrible time with wax building up in his ears - and plugging up his hearing aids.

Comment