Hearing aids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing aids?

I had a hearing test this morning. I need hearing aids for both ears.

In 1997 I had the seasonal flu and lost hearing in my left ear. Started hearing things tinny and muffled, can't use a phone with that ear. Saw an ENT at the local university hospital and was sent for an MRI to see if there was a tumour or something that was affecting me. I was 43 that year.

There was nothing to indicate a tumour, and when I saw the ENT for the results, he said, "well, you are just getting old". I was 43 that year.

So, I've put up with the problem, but now I am 67 and know that my hearing loss is getting worse, so I had a hearing test this morning.

Was very impressed with the 40-ish year old technician, who has worn hearing aids since she was 21 and has had 3 surgeries for tumours. After her first surgery she quit her college major and studied to become an audiologist. Things have changed since 1997, and it seems now they are not as concerned about mild or moderate hearing loss as they are about the loss of speech recognition. I have 92% speech recognition in my right ear, which is pretty good. But my left ear is only at 71%.

Speech recognition is never regained, and they are learning from brain studies that the loss of speech recognition can lead to dementia. She is, and now I am, frustrated that the ENT 24 years ago told me it was old age and there was nothing that could be done. If I had been fitted with an aid then, I would be in much better condition than I am now.

The new generation of hearing aids do not technically allow you to hear better, and they will not bring back any speech recognition that you have lost, but they DO prevent you from losing any more. My tech is convinced that people ought to be tested routinely just like a vision or dental checkup. For too long hearing loss has been viewed as "an old person's issue". I will now be going in every 6 months for cleaning and hearing aid check, and once a year for a hearing test.

The aids she has recommended are not the most expensive, are rechargeable, and the battery life is guaranteed for 3 years, at the end of which the battery will need to be replaced at a cost of about $50. They are small and she was actually wearing one very similar to it. It automatically adjusts for volume and the charge on the battery is good for 24 hours. I expect it could be charged overnight. So small and convenient and the cost of purchasing a box of batteries every few months is taken away.

So, has anybody else had experience with hearing loss and/or hearing aids?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Besides "selective hearing" of which I am often accused, I have excellent hearing for an old guy, which is surprising for as much time as I spent at gun ranges.

Praying for you - my Dad was STONE deaf, and was constantly trying to get hearing aids that worked.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I keep seeing this commercial.

If my Dad were still alive, I think I'd encourage him to give them a try.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Besides "selective hearing" of which I am often accused, I have excellent hearing for an old guy, which is surprising for as much time as I spent at gun ranges.

Praying for you - my Dad was STONE deaf, and was constantly trying to get hearing aids that worked.
        Thank you for prayers. Much appreciated.

Have you had your hearing tested? What do you think about getting routine hearing tests throughout life? I know there may be a cost issue with getting tested. Alberta Health Care covers the test for seniors, not sure if it covers once a year. So there is nothing for me to pay out of pocket, aside from high taxes. The hearing aids are not covered, except for a portion through an Alberta program called Aids for Living which is allotted to seniors.

I think hearing aids have changed a great deal since our parents' time. I don't believe I will be getting a Victrola trumpet for each ear.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I keep seeing this commercial.

If my Dad were still alive, I think I'd encourage him to give them a try.
          Here is what I'm getting.

https://www.oticon.com/solutions/ruby

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Here is what I'm getting.

https://www.oticon.com/solutions/ruby
            Impressive!!! I approve.

Comment

Impressive!!! I approve.
              I'll let her know when I go in for my fitting in a month!

Comment

Impressive!!! I approve.
                She is going to set me up on my Ipad so that if I have a problem I can connect with her on an app and she can fix the problem remotely, so I don't have to go in to see her to get it fixed. Sometimes computers are good things!

Comment

Huh?

What?

Were you guys saying something?

In all seriousness one way I can tell if someone has a hearing problem or uses it as an excuse is how much they say "What?" or the equivalent requiring someone to repeat themselves.

I use it rather frequently myself.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Huh?

What?

In all seriousness one way I can tell if someone has a hearing problem or uses it as an excuse is how much they say "What?" or the equivalent requiring someone to repeat themselves.

Yes. And having to use CC all the time on the tv, and saying things like "I can't hear you because the water is running" or not being able to see a person's face, etc., etc.

Mr. mossy is going to head in for an appointment once I get myself sorted out. He likely needs aids, too. Because the aforementioned is commonplace in our house and not just with me.

Comment

I've had hearing aids since I was four. Don't know what the effect of not having aids for four years was.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Yes. And having to use CC all the time on the tv, and saying things like "I can't hear you because the water is running" or not being able to see a person's face, etc., etc.

Mr. mossy is going to head in for an appointment once I get myself sorted out. He likely needs aids, too. Because the aforementioned is commonplace in our house and not just with me.
                        That's me. I can hear sounds really well but understanding what someone is saying if there is too much to filter out is the problem.

Went totally deaf back in kindergarten, had surgery but have always had problems with my left ear which got worse for various reasons over the years

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

She is going to set me up on my Ipad so that if I have a problem I can connect with her on an app and she can fix the problem remotely, so I don't have to go in to see her to get it fixed. Sometimes computers are good things!
                          We have a guy in our church who can tune his own hearing aids to our sound system from his iPad and control what he hears.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Huh?

What?

Yeah, in law enforcement, though - you soon figure out that all they're doing is trying to buy time to think up an answer that might work.

Comment

We has a medical expert - Dr Red Duke, University of Texas Health Science Center - who was the "go to expert" when the media was covering a medical story. Kinda like a Dr Fauci, but with a brain.

The only thing - Dr Red Duke had a West Texas drawl, and a BIG DROOPY MUSTACHE that covered his mouth, so a lot of the seniors, and the deaf, complained they couldn't read his lips.

dr duke.jpg

Comment