Buttergate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I never stepped on a lobster and was traumatized for life.
    Think how the poor fish felt!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I need to try lobster some day.
      Same. Never really had a time when I could do that and not feel like it would be a huge waste of money. I did finally get to try an unusual food I was curious about recently though. Mochi is a Japanese dessert that has started getting some popularity in the US with Mochi Ice Cream. The only problem with the ice cream version is it takes a while to thaw enough to eat it for someone with sensitive teeth like me.

Comment

I can eat Lobster (or crab) if it's just the meat. I don't like eating food that stares back at me though. Or that looks like a giant bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I can eat Lobster (or crab) if it's just the meat. I don't like eating food that stares back at me though. Or that looks like a giant bug.
          Watch Starship Troopers first and then do it to avenge all of the brave humans lost fighting them.

Who knows. Maybe that'll be enough.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yuh.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Now you've done it. Rogue is probably looking up foods made to look like big bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

Now you've done it. Rogue is probably looking up foods made to look like big bugs.
                As long as there's spreadable butter involved!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

As long as there's spreadable butter involved!
                  For shrimp or lobsters you want melted butter.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    For shrimp or lobsters you want melted butter.
                    Yuh. That's why I brought up lobsters when you posted butter melting?

Comment

Oh, when will I be able to spread my room temperature butter again without it tearing my bread!

Buttergate controversy causing a stir among Alberta dairy producers

Canadians’ inability to easily spread butter has sparked an online controversy that has led to Alberta Milk recommending dairy farms no longer using palm oil supplements.

Over the past couple of months, foodies and bloggers have been voicing difficulty with their butter. Sylvain Charlebois, a senior director of Dalhousie University’s agri-food analytics lab, tweeted in December an observation about his butter remaining hard at room temperature. The so-called “buttergate” took off and garnered the attention of international outlets such as the BBC and the New York Times.

Some people placed the blame for the hard butter on palm byproducts that are fed to dairy cows, although this hasn’t been definitively proven to be the cause. In response, the Dairy Farmers of Canada announced on Thursday the formation of a working group to get to the bottom of the issue and recommended dairy farmers consider alternatives to palm supplements. Following suit, Alberta Milk posted the recommendation on its website last week.

Cherylynn Bos, owner and operator of Rock Ridge Dairy Farms near Ponoka, said she does not use palm oil supplements to feed her cows or goats, as that would cause her cow dairy products to lose their organic designation. She said it is tough to say whether they are causing Canadian butter to become harder.

“I mean, they haven’t done a lot of scientific studies from the bit that I’ve seen on palm fat and how it may change the dairy products,” said Bos. “So, is it a subjective thing that the butter is harder now than before? I’m not certain.”

Palm oil is used to create palmitic acid, used in cooking oil, industrial lubricant, and margarine as well as soap, biofuels and cosmetics. A paper published by the Dairy Research and Extension Consortium of Alberta shows the use of the supplement in cow feed increases milk fat yield. The paper says there is an economic value to using palm oil in feed based on that increase as well as benefits to cow health and dairy quality.

Bos said that butter producers actually look to make their products firmer to make it higher quality for cooking. She said that regulations and restrictions on the industry may be partly to blame as higher qualities of butter will have less water in them, causing them to be denser.

“Over the years, industry and dairy producers and processors like myself have been so much more scrutinized and regulated to make sure that all the standards are followed 100 per cent. So you’re not going to see higher moisture butters out there,” said Bos.

Karlee Conway, the marketing and communications manager with Alberta Milk, an entity of Dairy Farmers of Canada, told Postmedia in an interview that she was a little surprised by the controversy as palm supplements have been used for years.

“They’re (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) certified and they play a really important part regarding the health of our cows,” she said. “That being said, we’re hearing from consumers that this might be something that they’re uncomfortable with and maybe they don’t like. We need to get more information on this topic. The most important thing for us and our farms is to make sure that we meet and exceed the demands of consumers.”

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...airy-producers

I have noticed for some years now that although I keep my butter at room temperature it doesn't EVER get soft enough to spread on a piece of bread or whatever. It just sits there in a hard lump. I thought is was because my kitchen is cool, but now I see it isn't my kitchen and it isn't just me! The whole country has hard butter!
                      My butter is finally soft.

Not because they've changed it, but because our a/c is on the fritz and the house is 76F.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Can't tell you how many times my wife will text me from work and say something like, "would you set out 2 (or 3) sticks of butter, cause I think I'm gonna bake cookies tonight".

^^ "Not often enough."

Comment

My butter is finally soft.

Not because they've changed it, but because our a/c is on the fritz and the house is 76F.

Warm enough in Canada is kinda like more comfortable than the other circles of hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                            Warm enough in Canada is kinda like more comfortable than the other circles of hell.
                            Warm enough in Canuckistan is the equivalent of Dante's lowest circle of hell, the one where everyone there is partly immersed in solid ice. The only debate is which ring best represents Canuckistan

Comment