Mine is $41/month
    Dang squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Dang squirrels.
      The squirrels are at roguetech labs & bait shop

Someone is getting a lot of money for very little

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You think they would work for peanuts. peanuts.jpg
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          I don't discuss salaries including what I pay independent contractors like the NSA.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We had ONE GUY who was doing his best to try to convince us we needed a formal HOA, and he was kinda sorta suggesting that he might possibly could be drafted to be its president if we asked really nicely.

We told him "thanks, but no".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              We had ONE GUY who was doing his best to try to convince us we needed a formal HOA, and he was kinda sorta suggesting that he might possibly could be drafted to be its president if we asked really nicely.

We told him "thanks, but no".
              i think my dad had the right response for a bad neighbor. painted the fire hydrant in the front of that neighbor's house a different color. I can say this now that the statute of limitations has expired a long time ago.

Comment

My parents bought a house in a neighborhood with an HOA. It was a new neighborhood, and my parents were told that the dues would pay for a pool and tennis courts that would be built at the entrance to the neighborhood. But houses were built on every lot instead, after the money disappeared under suspicious circumstances. Rumor was that the head of the HOA paid a contractor to build the promised amenities, who then took the money and ran after giving the HOA head his share. Twice.

And yeah, there were a few bored busybodies who delighted in making misery for their neighbors. At the time, I lived with my parents and had a car that was 20-25 years old. This neighbor called the police multiple times and reported the car as an "abandoned vehicle". The police would come out to look at it, one of us would have to go start it up to prove that it ran, and that would be that until the next time.

My parents once got a citation for two things simultaneously: not mowing the grass, and having bags of grass clippings in front of the house. Whoever was mowing had started in the back yard and had been putting the clippings out front, and that was the moment the person who filled out the citation form happened to drive by.

There was a house close to the neighborhood entrance that had a stucco exterior that was originally painted light green, and someone started a petition to force the owner to change it because he didn't like the color. So the owner painted it salmon pink.

My brother drove a semi and according to the city ordinances, you're allowed to park a semi cab without a trailer on the street in front of a residence if you're only there for a day or two and you're making trip preparations, i.e. doing laundry and such. So every time he came home with the cab (which wasn't all the time) someone would report him as being illegally parked. Then the police would have to come out and my brother would show the officer the web page he'd printed from the city website showing the relevant ordinance.

Whenever I buy a house, one of my criteria is that there be no HOA. And no neighbors.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

In my neighborhood growing up, my mom was a real estate salesman. She got on the board of our HOA probably partly due to the promotion of sales (if that helped at all) and also to just have more influence on the decisions. Our garage was into an alley where no cars were supposed to be parked. However, our second car was parked in it without any action taken to ticket us or tow it away. Mind you, this was in a neighborhood where you could not keep your car overnight on the side of the street. We learned that the leaders get special exceptions to the rules. Wow. Is that ever more evident than what we see these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    Pesky squirrels. They show up everywhere. I get a bit nervous when I see them running across the wall behind my yard.

Comment

I've seen enough videos on YT to know not to live under a HOA.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                        My parents bought a house in a neighborhood with an HOA. It was a new neighborhood, and my parents were told that the dues would pay for a pool and tennis courts that would be built at the entrance to the neighborhood. But houses were built on every lot instead, after the money disappeared under suspicious circumstances. Rumor was that the head of the HOA paid a contractor to build the promised amenities, who then took the money and ran after giving the HOA head his share. Twice.

And yeah, there were a few bored busybodies who delighted in making misery for their neighbors. At the time, I lived with my parents and had a car that was 20-25 years old. This neighbor called the police multiple times and reported the car as an "abandoned vehicle". The police would come out to look at it, one of us would have to go start it up to prove that it ran, and that would be that until the next time.

My parents once got a citation for two things simultaneously: not mowing the grass, and having bags of grass clippings in front of the house. Whoever was mowing had started in the back yard and had been putting the clippings out front, and that was the moment the person who filled out the citation form happened to drive by.

There was a house close to the neighborhood entrance that had a stucco exterior that was originally painted light green, and someone started a petition to force the owner to change it because he didn't like the color. So the owner painted it salmon pink.

My brother drove a semi and according to the city ordinances, you're allowed to park a semi cab without a trailer on the street in front of a residence if you're only there for a day or two and you're making trip preparations, i.e. doing laundry and such. So every time he came home with the cab (which wasn't all the time) someone would report him as being illegally parked. Then the police would have to come out and my brother would show the officer the web page he'd printed from the city website showing the relevant ordinance.

Whenever I buy a house, one of my criteria is that there be no HOA. And no neighbors.
                        Went through the "abandoned vehicle" crap myself. My 2002 Dodge Stratus was ugly. The paint job on it sucked and when you washed it some of the paint would wash off as well so I stopped washing it. After it snowed, when it melted, the rear window would have a white film over it from the paint that came off. The car had some mechanical problems so I wasn't going to spend money repainting it. I bought another car, a Lexus 300E, and would drive them both (obviously not at the same time).

I had zoning enforcement come out three times responding to an "abandoned car." Each time the complaint claimed it wasn't tagged. It was. On the third time (it was the same officer who responded each time and a nice guy) he said he was going to contact the HOA and tell them what they were doing was borderline harassment and to stop calling his office with frivolous false complaints.

The engine problems got worse shortly afterwards and I ended up donating it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Went through the "abandoned vehicle" crap myself. My 2002 Dodge Stratus was ugly. The paint job on it sucked and when you washed it some of the paint would wash off as well so I stopped washing it. After it snowed, when it melted, the rear window would have a white film over it from the paint that came off. The car had some mechanical problems so I wasn't going to spend money repainting it. I bought another car, a Lexus 300E, and would drive them both (obviously not at the same time).

I had zoning enforcement come out three times responding to an "abandoned car." Each time the complaint claimed it wasn't tagged. It was. On the third time (it was the same officer who responded each time and a nice guy) he said he was going to contact the HOA and tell them what they were doing was borderline harassment and to stop calling his office with frivolous false complaints.

The engine problems got worse shortly afterwards and I ended up donating it.
                          Yeah, the paint on mine was crazed pretty badly. It was an '83 Chevy Malibu station wagon. For the most part it ran very reliably, but it had oil leaks inside a couple cylinders and was eating spark plugs and drinking oil towards the end of the time I had it. It would have cost thousands to overhaul the engine and I just didn't have the money. I loved that car and I still regret selling it. I should have kept it just to spite that neighbor, lol.

My next car was a Chevy Aveo that was still pretty new. It had been a rental and was still in good shape, but the apartment management where I lived tagged it for towing because they thought the registration was expired (the sticker was only three months old). I had to drive to the office and show them the sticker. If you want to complain about HOAs, I could tell you some real horror stories about apartment management. I'd rather live in a neighborhood with an HOA than any apartment complex.
                          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

hoa.jpg

Comment