HOA Stories and Gripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOA Stories and Gripes

A couple years ago my home owners association was having people sign up to get permits for cars parked outside. Many people have one garage space and one outside space.

i didn't bother to sign up, even though I park outside. And I was wondering when I would get a ticket or warning about towing.

Then this campaign was repeated last year. I think the inspection cost $100 to see if your car could fit in the garage. If it fits, you are supposed to park inside. I don't think there is an exception for those who try to park inside but cannot get out of the car upon doing that. They were doing a sign-up campaign as late as May. Again i was waiting to see if i got a ticket or a warning.

Apparently, people did not participate in this sufficiently to follow through on this policy. I have not heard anything about an effort to do this again for 2021. I would complain that this is overly restrictive for people who have units here who would be restricted from using their own parking space.

HOAs are a blessing and a curse. You want everybody else in your neighborhood to adhere to the rules, but you don't want to be burdened.

Our neighborhood has NO HOA, but a couple of residents are pushing to vote to have one. Most of us say "why, what problem are you solving"?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      HOAs are a blessing and a curse. You want everybody else in your neighborhood to adhere to the rules, but you don't want to be burdened.

Our neighborhood has NO HOA, but a couple of residents are pushing to vote to have one. Most of us say "why, what problem are you solving"?
      I like some neighborhoods where people have an acre of land and do what they like with it. I doubt the one especially in mind does not have an HOA.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

I like some neighborhoods where people have an acre of land and do what they like with it. I doubt the one especially in mind does not have an HOA.
        We have a "Covenants" document we have to sign which governs the minimum size of the house, distance from the road, minimum construction requirements, etc --- I think all of us (I know ALL my neighbors) bought our properties in that neighborhood because such restrictions keep somebody from moving a mobile home onto a lot and calling it "home". It keeps the property values up.

But there's nothing nutsy -- just good common sense.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We have a "Covenants" document we have to sign which governs the minimum size of the house, distance from the road, minimum construction requirements, etc --- I think all of us (I know ALL my neighbors) bought our properties in that neighborhood because such restrictions keep somebody from moving a mobile home onto a lot and calling it "home". It keeps the property values up.

But there's nothing nutsy -- just good common sense.
          That was one of my plans in the past -- get an empty lot and live in an RV or something while building up a house. Another idea was to build a garage size home that eventually would be built up -- and the garage part would actually become a garage.

There was one guy building his own home in an established neighborhood. The construction was going on for a couple years. Maybe the nextdoor neighbor would suffer the most, though.

Comment

That was one of my plans in the past -- get an empty lot and live in an RV or something while building up a house. Another idea was to build a garage size home that eventually would be built up -- and the garage part would actually become a garage.

There was one guy building his own home in an established neighborhood. The construction was going on for a couple years. Maybe the nextdoor neighbor would suffer the most, though.
            We have another neighborhood that allowed RVs or mobile homes, but had "neatness" requirements. It is quite well known now for its... um..... you don't live there unless you're in poverty or drugs.

Comment

A question arises. If you use standard home construction to build a structure to house a cubitat, is this considered a prefab home or a normal home.

I have been analyzing this home-in-a-box item for awhile.

http://nichettostudio.com/projects/cubitat/

Cubitat_Photo-Arash-Moallemi-6_2880x1920_acf_cropped-2880x1920.jpg
              http://nichettostudio.com/wp-content...-2880x1920.jpg

Comment

I would NEVER, EVER buy a home in an HOA area. Not happening. I used to work for a Civil Engineer and saw what was in a lot of those, too much power in them for me to be comfortable. Cow Poke did Texas pass a law about limiting HOA's ability to take homes for non-payment of HOA fines? I remember it being discussed....
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  I would NEVER, EVER buy a home in an HOA area. Not happening. I used to work for a Civil Engineer and saw what was in a lot of those, too much power in them for me to be comfortable. Cow Poke did Texas pass a law about limiting HOA's ability to take homes for non-payment of HOA fines? I remember it being discussed....
                  Texas Law allows, but makes durn near IMPOSSIBLE, for a lien to be filed and processed for foreclosure on a home. It would have to be a very extreme case.

We (our HOA) simply refuse to vote to make our own HOA "official".

Comment

The problem of busybodies with time on their hands and no-one to boss around....?
                    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

A couple years ago my home owners association was having people sign up to get permits for cars parked outside. Many people have one garage space and one outside space.

i didn't bother to sign up, even though I park outside. And I was wondering when I would get a ticket or warning about towing.

Then this campaign was repeated last year. I think the inspection cost $100 to see if your car could fit in the garage. If it fits, you are supposed to park inside. I don't think there is an exception for those who try to park inside but cannot get out of the car upon doing that. They were doing a sign-up campaign as late as May. Again i was waiting to see if i got a ticket or a warning.

Apparently, people did not participate in this sufficiently to follow through on this policy. I have not heard anything about an effort to do this again for 2021. I would complain that this is overly restrictive for people who have units here who would be restricted from using their own parking space.
                      Don't get me started. My HOA has gone out of its way to target me and tried to make my life miserable.

After the tornado struck a couple months after moving in (I was inside the condo when my windows got blasted in and everything was covered in broken glass and muck) I was the only one who they told had to get the shingles approved so that they matched the approved colors. Several neighbors replaced theirs and weren't even close to compliance.

When I resided the condo they again told me I needed to have it approved while neighbors both before and after who did the same thing were never told to do so and put up siding that didn't meet the approved colors.

When some relatives came during the 96 Olympics I moved one of my cars to a visitors space so they could park in front of my unit. Within two days I received a notice telling me to move -- in spite of cars that had been parked in visitors spaces for several months and remained there long after (and at least one was obviously inoperable and didn't have a current license plate).

And that's just a partial list of the problems I had just in the first six years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

The problem of busybodies with time on their hands and no-one to boss around....?
                        Same reason some men become problem deacons -- they have no authority at home or at work.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Don't get me started. My HOA has gone out of its way to target me and tried to make my life miserable.

After the tornado struck a couple months after moving in (I was inside the condo when my windows got blasted in and everything was covered in broken glass and muck) I was the only one who they told had to get the shingles approved so that they matched the approved colors. Several neighbors replaced theirs and weren't even close to compliance.

When I resided the condo they again told me I needed to have it approved while neighbors both before and after who did the same thing were never told to do so and put up siding that didn't meet the approved colors.

When some relatives came during the 96 Olympics I moved one of my cars to a visitors space so they could park in front of my unit. Within two days I received a notice telling me to move -- in spite of cars that had been parked in visitors spaces for several months and remained there long after (and at least one was obviously inoperable and didn't have a current license plate).

And that's just a partial list of the problems I had just in the first six years.
                          I was the very first homeowner in our neighborhood, so I'm seen somewhat as the "mayor" of our community. The Sheriff moved in right next door, and seems to look to me for guidance on neighborhood polices and stuff, so when this one guy decided he wanted to push to establish a formal HOA (or Property Owners Association - POA) the rest of the neighbors asked what I thought. I simply told them that if we stuck together as neighbors, I see no reason to formailse anything and assess dues --- or Deeds and Covenants document says there will be no HOA fees.

Until we see an actual need, we're just going to be good neighbors.

Comment

My neighborhood has an HOA, but it's pretty lax. It has some dumb regulations like how every mailbox has to look the same (black, metal, no brick surround) and you can't have any sheds in your backyard without permission, what color your shingles can be. But I have never seen them actually do anything. You are not supposed to be able to park on the street curb, but have to park in your driveway or garage, but I see people parking on the street all the time (and I live across the street form the HOA president). The fee is $100/year but if you pay it early, you only have to pay $50, and mostly what they do with the money is pay for street lights and having block parties a few times per year. I almost didn't buy my house because of the HOA, but after my realtor and some neighbors I checked with told me how lax and cheap it was I went ahead and bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              My neighborhood has an HOA, but it's pretty lax. It has some dumb regulations like how every mailbox has to look the same (black, metal, no brick surround) and you can't have any sheds in your backyard without permission, what color your shingles can be. But I have never seen them actually do anything. You are not supposed to be able to park on the street curb, but have to park in your driveway or garage, but I see people parking on the street all the time (and I live across the street form the HOA president). The fee is $100/year but if you pay it early, you only have to pay $50, and mostly what they do with the money is pay for street lights and having block parties a few times per year. I almost didn't buy my house because of the HOA, but after my realtor and some neighbors I checked with told me how lax and cheap it was I went ahead and bought it.
                              Mine is $41/month

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment