Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wishes of a good arbitrary period of 365 days, starting tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishes of a good arbitrary period of 365 days, starting tomorrow.

A sidereal year is the time it takes the Earth to take a turn to the Sun, in relation to the stars. Three hundred and sixty-five days, six hours and nine minutes. About. The tropical year is the period of the solstices and equinoxes. The four Seasons. It is twenty minutes shorter than the sidereal year.

Today, none of this is celebrated.

Today at midnight is (approximately) the time when the Greenwich Observatory has its back to the Sun. As we are close to this meridian, it will be at this time that we will all count the seconds, open bottles of champagne and shout Yeahhhhhh! A countdown to the exact moment of ... well, nothing.

But that my unwillingness to fulfill the obligation to “celebrate” the entrance in this arbitrary period of time does not spoil your fun. I wish you all a good night and may the next 365 days go well for you.

Happy arbitrary 365 days to you as well. Of course we could be like the Chinese and celebrate New Years Day even further from a solstice or equinox. Or the Muslim New Year which can be virtually any time during the year.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Or Rosh Hashana, which takes place usually in September, sometimes in early October.

I have family both in France and near Seattle, so the Gregorian new year starts at different times for us.

I remember watching Sleepless in Seattle, the scene where Midnight on New Years Day struck simultaneously in New York City and in Seattle.
      When I Survey....

Comment

I'm not a holiday person either. There are dozens of us!
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

On our calendars here, according to the Orthodox calendar system Christmas Day is Thursday next week.

That said, happy new year.
          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
            Or Rosh Hashana, which takes place usually in September, sometimes in early October.

I have family both in France and near Seattle, so the Gregorian new year starts at different times for us.

I remember watching Sleepless in Seattle, the scene where Midnight on New Years Day struck simultaneously in New York City and in Seattle.
            What about Kwanzaa?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
              Same with Ramadan. Many if not all Muslim holidays move around the calendar.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                On our calendars here, according to the Orthodox calendar system Christmas Day is Thursday next week.

That said, happy new year.
                I remember back in 2015, somebody joking that Hallowe'en was going to fall on Friday the 13th. Actually, that year it did, sorta. October 31 on the Orthodox calendar fell on Friday, November 13 of the Gregorian calendar. The only thing is, though, that Hallowe'en doesn't exist in the Orthodox calendar.
                When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Same with Ramadan. Many if not all Muslim holidays move around the calendar.
                  I remember the first time I asked, in frustration, how in the world you know when Easter is --- I was told "the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox", or some such.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I remember the first time I asked, in frustration, how in the world you know when Easter is --- I was told "the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox", or some such.
                    But always either the end of March or beginning of April.

This year, Ramadan runs from April 12 to May 12. Last year it was April 23 to May 23. 2019 it was May 5 to June 3. And in 2018 it was May 15 to June 14. And it keeps going like that. For instance, ten years ago it was July 31 to August 30 and ten years from now it'll be December 25 to January 23.

Comment

Does anyone really know what time it is?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                        Does anyone really know what time it is?
                        Does anybody really care?

Comment

If so I can't imagine why

Comment

But, We've all got time enough to cry

Comment

And I was walking down the street one day

Comment