Diaz Vs. McGregor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaz Vs. McGregor

Anyone else watching UFC 202? I'm rooting for Diaz. If McGregor doesn't knock Diaz out, he's gonna lose.

That's my prediction, what's yours?

Should be good. First one was awesome because of all the smack McGregor was talking before the fight, so I was naturally rooting for Diaz even though I didn't know too much about either one.

Comment

Undercard: Rumble's KO... wow

Comment

It lived up to the hype!
        Last edited by seanD; 08-20-2016, 11:35 PM.

Comment

'Twas a magical, legendary fight! No, but it certainly did live up to the hype. It looks like we're heading for a third battle between the two. I'm happy Nate is finally getting paid, all thanks to his nemesis.

Comment

I can't watch two people beat the living tar out of each other...
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There was a reason why the gladiator games came to an end, and that partly had to do with the early church's opposition to "bloodsport".
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                There was a reason why the gladiator games came to an end, and that partly had to do with the early church's opposition to "bloodsport".
                Barring the fact they're no weapons, UFC fighting is definitely brutal. I'm surprised there haven't been more deaths.

Comment

I think there are positive aspects to the UFC. Take the Diaz brothers for example - straight outta Stockton - these guys would more than likely lead a desperate life of crime if it weren't for the opportunity to carve out a living fighting professionally. I don't see the sport as sinful.

Also, I think we need to think twice before we recoil at bloodshed and supposed brutality. After all, couldn't God have spared the Amalek children instead of having their blood split by the sword? Didn't he allow and even command things that, just like the UFC, offend our sensibilities? Isn't there a better way for the Diaz brothers? Isn't there a better way for God to have dealt with the Amalek children? See what I'm saying? Honest questions, I'm not trying to be snarky.

"Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." (1Sam. 15:3).
                  Last edited by Scrawly; 08-22-2016, 01:27 AM.

Comment

It's a contact sport. To say it's sin, one would have to admonish just about every sport, because most sports have some form of physical contact. Even track and field, the Olympian 1500m runners were pushing and elbowing each other to position themselves on the track. Most sports have some form of contact, usually intentional.

I don't see anything wrong with it, considering no one is forced to fight against their will. A lot of people find it objectionable, but that's their opinion and that's fine. It's what separates the alpha males from the beta males.

Comment

I think the heart of the matter boils down to the individual. Some people can watch the UFC in a sinful manner, others can celebrate the wonder of human-beings - their athleticism, willpower, and skill. Some people choose to refrain from watching it because it disturbs their spirit. I can totally understand and respect that, but I still wonder if some vivid passages in the OT equally disturb their spirit? Saying that God commands it, therefore it's morally justified, since he's the author of life, doesn't take away from the brutal savagery of the act, so I see a bit of a conflict there.

Comment

When I was growing up, I played all sorts of contact sports. When I was really young, we used to have boxing matches in my yard, and since we couldn't afford boxing gloves, we used knee pads on our hands lol. I think a lot of people have a personal connection with contact sports because they have it in their blood since they were young. I used to love pro boxing until boring boxers like Mayweather came on the scene, then I switched to UFC. On the other hand, I can see where a lot of people would find UFC fighting pretty disturbing, especially the millennial culture since it's made of effeminate pansies.

Comment

Yeah and I do find aspects of the UFC disturbing (just as I find aspects of pretty much everything under the sun disturbing), but generally it fills me with compassion and love for my fellow human-beings.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            It's a contact sport. To say it's sin, one would have to admonish just about every sport, because most sports have some form of physical contact. Even track and field, the Olympian 1500m runners were pushing and elbowing each other to position themselves on the track. Most sports have some form of contact, usually intentional.
                            I think there's a difference between incidental contact or contact designed to stake one's space, and contact directly designed to injure.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I think there's a difference between incidental contact or contact designed to stake one's space, and contact directly designed to injure.
                              So what is your argument exactly? You're being a bit cryptic.

Comment