X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Preferably on messy, frangible hard shell.
    Whatever that is, it's not a taco.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    In my travels through Mexico as a young man, I learned two things. First, Mexican coke is ridiculously sweet. And second, if it fits inside a tortilla, it's a taco.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    They're humanoid mimics that can impersonate virtually anyone in the Dune books by Frank Herbert. They're from the planet Tleilaxu (had to look that one up for the spelling)

Great series.
    Oh I see. Heh, it's what I get when I don't spend enough time reading or watching popular Sci-fi... I spend it prepping tacos to much on.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Andius View Post

Don't know what a Face Dancer is, but it sure don't sound like Taco.
    They're humanoid mimics that can impersonate virtually anyone in the Dune books by Frank Herbert. They're from the planet Tleilaxu (had to look that one up for the spelling)

Great series.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherman View Post
    I wouldn't touch a taco - the corn makes me sneeze and flour is even worse. Lemme have some salmon or walleye.
    Heart-breaking! ¡Muy triste!

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied

Wait... How did Face Dancers get into this?
    Don't know what a Face Dancer is, but it sure don't sound like Taco.

Leave a comment:

• mikewhitney
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherman View Post
    I wouldn't touch a taco - the corn makes me sneeze and flour is even worse. Lemme have some salmon or walleye.
    the corn and flour in South America may be fine for you. We have lots of problems with the wheat and corn in the US.

Leave a comment:

• Sherman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied

I only know a few words in Nahuatl, heheh. But not really studying it in depth. But I'd like to one day.
    And it's key, considering how tortillas (tlaxcalli they call it in Nahua) are fundamental on what makes a taco a taco!
    Wait... How did Face Dancers get into this?

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

You have been learning Nahuatl, haven't you? How is that going? Maybe it was just a month ago we heard about this.
    I only know a few words in Nahuatl, heheh. But not really studying it in depth. But I'd like to one day.
    And it's key, considering how tortillas (tlaxcalli they call it in Nahua) are fundamental on what makes a taco a taco!

Leave a comment:

• mikewhitney
    replied
    Can't be my fellow, because you are bringing anglo-saxonic paradigms (which lies at the heart of the origins of the concept of "sandwich", from the Earldom of Sandwich and all that) into a nahuatl context!

A point made moot on how a taco's primary piece is fundamentally mushed corn toasted over a comal (a thick griddle over fire)! None of that bread-centric nonsense around here!
    You have been learning Nahuatl, haven't you? How is that going? Maybe it was just a month ago we heard about this.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    A meat-and-cheese-only taco is indeed a taco -- but not one that I would eat. I want the whole "taco experience": Shredded nutrition-free iceberg lettuce, salsa, refried beans, guac, sour cream (or yogurt), in addition to the meat and cheese. Preferably on messy, frangible hard shell.
    Your questionable conception of a taco is at least redeemed by your acknowledgement in your right and true desire to experience true taconess! Well done you.
    Ah, to stave off the mess, might I suggest a soft taco? Keeping it soft actually makes it easier to hold on the components, which is why soft tacos are the true default!

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Btw. When I order a cheese burger I ask for it to come with no garnish just the meat and cheese.

I order it medium rare and like for the juices to soak into the bread and not get sponged up with a bunch of junk that I'll just remove and set aside anyway.

To be fair, I too also don't care much for garnish on my burgers. And not a bad taste.

Oh. And bacon. Thereby winning the thread in accordance to Jed's Law.
    On that I agree, yes. Bacon is a winner winner chicken dinner.

I think the real question here oughta be if a soft taco is a real taco

I would argue yes, and in truth, soft taco IS the default of what constitutes a taco! Hard crunchy tacos are a variant. Any vendor from a street taco joint will look at you weird if you request a "hard" taco.

And what about those fish tacos?

As long as there a various condiments along with salsa are along. I'd say yes. Fish tacos are actually quite common in the state of Baja California in Mexico.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    There are other important questions

Are tacos actually sandwiches see taco shells are essentially just breads?
    Can't be my fellow, because you are bringing anglo-saxonic paradigms (which lies at the heart of the origins of the concept of "sandwich", from the Earldom of Sandwich and all that) into a nahuatl context!

Are tacos not sandwiches since they only have one piece of bread folded over? This is part of the dilemma we have with hot dogs.
    A point made moot on how a taco's primary piece is fundamentally mushed corn toasted over a comal (a thick griddle over fire)! None of that bread-centric nonsense around here!

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    A meat-and-cheese-only taco is indeed a taco -- but not one that I would eat. I want the whole "taco experience": Shredded nutrition-free iceberg lettuce, salsa, refried beans, guac, sour cream (or yogurt), in addition to the meat and cheese. Preferably on messy, frangible hard shell.

Leave a comment: