Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a meat and cheese taco a taco?

Is a meat and cheese taco a taco?
    I ask, because of what Rogue06 has just professed in this thread: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...sandwich/page3 has me terribly worried that Rogue06 has not truly graced his taste buds to the true glory of tacos! Plus the discussion of hot-dog being a samich inspired this inquiry.

So help me elucidate, is it a taco?

And what's more, what should constitute a taco?

As an opening, I argue that three fundamental elements are indispensable:

The tortilla (made of CORN, not wheat )
    The salsa (be it red, green, spicy or mild).
    and.... (the confusing bit)
    The filling (red/brown beans, onions, Romero or cilantro herbs, guacamole, minced chicken, lamb, beef, pork, fresh or dry cheese, etc.)

Cheese and meat being a taco? I don't think so.

What say you all?
    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

There are other important questions

Are tacos actually sandwiches see taco shells are essentially just breads?

Are tacos not sandwiches since they only have one piece of bread folded over? This is part of the dilemma we have with hot dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

Are tacos not sandwiches since they only have one piece of bread folded over? This is part of the dilemma we have with hot dogs.
      Two words. Open-faced sandwich

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Btw. When I order a cheese burger I ask for it to come with no garnish just the meat and cheese.

I order it medium rare and like for the juices to soak into the bread and not get sponged up with a bunch of junk that I'll just remove and set aside anyway.

Oh. And bacon. Thereby winning the thread in accordance to Jed's Law.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think the real question here oughta be if a soft taco is a real taco

And what about those fish tacos?

Comment

A meat-and-cheese-only taco is indeed a taco -- but not one that I would eat. I want the whole "taco experience": Shredded nutrition-free iceberg lettuce, salsa, refried beans, guac, sour cream (or yogurt), in addition to the meat and cheese. Preferably on messy, frangible hard shell.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Can't be my fellow, because you are bringing anglo-saxonic paradigms (which lies at the heart of the origins of the concept of "sandwich", from the Earldom of Sandwich and all that) into a nahuatl context!

A point made moot on how a taco's primary piece is fundamentally mushed corn toasted over a comal (a thick griddle over fire)! None of that bread-centric nonsense around here!

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Btw. When I order a cheese burger I ask for it to come with no garnish just the meat and cheese.

I order it medium rare and like for the juices to soak into the bread and not get sponged up with a bunch of junk that I'll just remove and set aside anyway.

To be fair, I too also don't care much for garnish on my burgers. And not a bad taste.

Oh. And bacon. Thereby winning the thread in accordance to Jed's Law.
                On that I agree, yes. Bacon is a winner winner chicken dinner.

I think the real question here oughta be if a soft taco is a real taco

I would argue yes, and in truth, soft taco IS the default of what constitutes a taco! Hard crunchy tacos are a variant. Any vendor from a street taco joint will look at you weird if you request a "hard" taco.

And what about those fish tacos?

As long as there a various condiments along with salsa are along. I'd say yes. Fish tacos are actually quite common in the state of Baja California in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  A meat-and-cheese-only taco is indeed a taco -- but not one that I would eat. I want the whole "taco experience": Shredded nutrition-free iceberg lettuce, salsa, refried beans, guac, sour cream (or yogurt), in addition to the meat and cheese. Preferably on messy, frangible hard shell.
                  Your questionable conception of a taco is at least redeemed by your acknowledgement in your right and true desire to experience true taconess! Well done you.
                  Ah, to stave off the mess, might I suggest a soft taco? Keeping it soft actually makes it easier to hold on the components, which is why soft tacos are the true default!

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                    Can't be my fellow, because you are bringing anglo-saxonic paradigms (which lies at the heart of the origins of the concept of "sandwich", from the Earldom of Sandwich and all that) into a nahuatl context!

A point made moot on how a taco's primary piece is fundamentally mushed corn toasted over a comal (a thick griddle over fire)! None of that bread-centric nonsense around here!
                    You have been learning Nahuatl, haven't you? How is that going? Maybe it was just a month ago we heard about this.

Comment

You have been learning Nahuatl, haven't you? How is that going? Maybe it was just a month ago we heard about this.
                      I only know a few words in Nahuatl, heheh. But not really studying it in depth. But I'd like to one day.
                      And it's key, considering how tortillas (tlaxcalli they call it in Nahua) are fundamental on what makes a taco a taco!

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post

I only know a few words in Nahuatl, heheh. But not really studying it in depth. But I'd like to one day.
                        And it's key, considering how tortillas (tlaxcalli they call it in Nahua) are fundamental on what makes a taco a taco!
                        Wait... How did Face Dancers get into this?

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I wouldn't touch a taco - the corn makes me sneeze and flour is even worse. Lemme have some salmon or walleye.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
                            I wouldn't touch a taco - the corn makes me sneeze and flour is even worse. Lemme have some salmon or walleye.
                            the corn and flour in South America may be fine for you. We have lots of problems with the wheat and corn in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Wait... How did Face Dancers get into this?
                              Don't know what a Face Dancer is, but it sure don't sound like Taco.

Comment