• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You want heresy? I'll show you heresy

I just can't..... that is just full of Noooooooooooo.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Now back to the perfect taco

Freezer-Taco-Meat-Feature.jpg
    Sufficient meat, but mucho más queso!

Fill-Taco-Shells.jpg

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Andius View Post
    Heresy! Bunch of norteño heretics the lot of them! They are of the land of savages for a reason (as the article states) and unfit to say what are the ways of the true taco. But granted.... it is delicious heresy...

On a side note, I do actually share the notion of Francis Lam, of the possibility that the "folded" bread originated with the Arab/Berber custom of making bread, and how local Iberians called them: tortas from the old Latin tortam (bent/twist), and tortilla being a diminutive of tortas. Thus utterly separate origins! Only corn, they cannot even be called tortillas! I have spoken!

That does actually sound quite tasty.
    You want heresy? I'll show you heresy

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
    For the record, flour tortillas are a legitimate part of Northern Mexican and Tejano cuisine: https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...stavo-arellano
    Heresy! Bunch of norteño heretics the lot of them! They are of the land of savages for a reason (as the article states) and unfit to say what are the ways of the true taco. But granted.... it is delicious heresy...

On a side note, I do actually share the notion of Francis Lam, of the possibility that the "folded" bread originated with the Arab/Berber custom of making bread, and how local Iberians called them: tortas from the old Latin tortam (bent/twist), and tortilla being a diminutive of tortas. Thus utterly separate origins! Only corn, they cannot even be called tortillas! I have spoken!

Though I mostly go for soft corn on my tacos and leave flour for burritos these days. Unless I'm at Rosa's with their fresh flour tortillas. Mmm.
    That does actually sound quite tasty.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    vg5db.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• thewriteranon
    replied
    For the record, flour tortillas are a legitimate part of Northern Mexican and Tejano cuisine: https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...stavo-arellano

Though I mostly go for soft corn on my tacos and leave flour for burritos these days. Unless I'm at Rosa's with their fresh flour tortillas. Mmm.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Andius View Post

Why you tempt me with such delicious heresy.... (I'll grant that they look delicious you old fossil... )

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    The best kinda taco

tacos.jpgoven-baked-beef-tacos-1.jpg

Although I prefer using the white cheese like queso blanco
    Why you tempt me with such delicious heresy.... (I'll grant that they look delicious you old fossil... )

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    The best kinda taco

tacos.jpgoven-baked-beef-tacos-1.jpg

Although I prefer using the white cheese like queso blanco

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    For me mustard is infinitely better than ketchup at drowning out the taste of everything else and yet it is copiously added to a Chicago dog.
    It's the sugar in ketchup that wrecks the flavor.

Gotta feel superior I guess
    Why do all my friends think I love terrorizing my students? These are my kids. The greatest barrier to their success is the belief they're not good enough. They arrive with that, and I spend the entire semester with them looking for ways to overcome that disability.

Try to imagine you're a professor, and ask yourself why you might not want to award credit for a correct answer.

There are a lot of ways to arrive at a correct answer, not least of which is the process I call "inappropriate cooperation." (I never, ever, use the "ch" word.) To the extent it's helpful, I go out of my way to encourage appropriate cooperation. I've piloted peer tutoring programs at three campuses, now, and I regularly deliver "informal assessments," for credit, where the entire class becomes a "phone a friend" pool, but there comes a point you have to show you can fly on your own.

It's possible to just guess, without really understanding why that guess is right. That's not mastery, and doesn't contribute to mastery, either. In fact, it's counter-productive. And then there's the wrong methods that nonetheless arrive at the right answers.

2020-12-04_09-56-40.jpg

Not wishing to discount my applied math colleagues, the vast majority of the theory of mathematics is entirely abstract, with a "purity" judged, and valued in part for its lack of application. When algebraic number theory became a popular subject in cybersecurity, some of us saw it as a personal tragedy, marring the pristine beauty of the art form. I watched it happen, wistfully thinking of George Boole whose algebra wasn't vulgarized to meet the needs of computer scientists until well after his demise.

It's the abstraction itself that's valuable.

The basic algebraic manipulation skills I teach will come in handy for them in all of their future science classes. So there's that, but I teach more than that, when I'm successful. What's going to come in handy for everything they do in the rest of their lives is the ability to take a complex problem apart, breaking it into simpler problems you can tackle one by one, and then putting the pieces back together. That's what I'm grading when I ask them to "show their work," and when I reinforce that, saying, "no work, no credit."

That's why I specifically added the last part: "understanding that your students are a good bit older, so consider the age of the person here."
    I defended in February 93, but couldn't be awarded my degree until the end of the term, in May, leaving me with a few months footloose and fancy free. I applied as a substitute teacher for Chicago Public Schools, visited high schools around the city — some of which were beaucoup scary. You should see the teachers in those schools. They looked like crime victims, they were that emotionally battered. Run down buildings, no administrative support, and kids who didn't want to be there, and let 'em know it.

That image reminds me of those folks, schlubs working a job, with what passion they have left devoted to anything other than teaching.

I'm all in favor of inspired creativity in a student's work, but that's not what I'm seeing in those answers. Now if the girl or boy had named the oval, "Ophelia," and the rectangle, "Ricardo," and the hexagon, "Hexes" ... Yeah, I'd allow that.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Garbage dog is widely used, too. But it's not just "anything you can find." It's a horde of garnishes where everybody gets a peck at your taste buds. Add ketchup to that mix, and the only thing you'll taste is ketchup. Now that, right there, that, is why only barbarians put ketchup on a Chicago dog. It's not an affectation. It really does wreck the taste.

If it's a taste you want to wreck, meh, but then why bother getting a Chicago dog.
    For me mustard is infinitely better than ketchup at drowning out the taste of everything else and yet it is copiously added to a Chicago dog.

I regularly deny any credit for correct answers.
    Gotta feel superior I guess

Occasionally, I give full credit for incorrect answers. Quite often, I give partial credit to a student who's recognized their answer is wrong, but is jammed up on finding where they went wrong. I literally ask them to write me a note on the paper saying why they know their answer is wrong.

Points won't pass you in my classes. I credit mastery of the material, as demonstrated by work. Knowing your answer is wrong demonstrates mastery, in part, anyway, if it's for a valid reason.

That image is little-kid funny. It's not funny in college, not to me, and more pointedly, not to their fellow students. These people paid for instruction, just like a theater patron paid for the show. You're tossing popcorn at the movies, you need to go. A student cutting up in front of the class would be asked to leave and receive an instructor withdrawal immediately afterwards, for disruption.

Go fight with my chair, I'm done with ya.

That's actually happened, by the way, twice, over twelve years, so it's really rare. On both occasions my chair asked me to re-admit them. On both occasions, I refused. The guy in the pic doesn't have that privilege. I do.
    That's why I specifically added the last part: "understanding that your students are a good bit older, so consider the age of the person here."

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    A friend of mine who is from Chicago refers to a Chicago hot dog as a "garbage dog" and he didn't mean it is a disparaging way. He explained it as putting nearly anything you could find on it. Most of what they put on it I don't care for hence why I get it with ketchup only although I will occasionally get one with sauerkraut.
    Garbage dog is widely used, too. But it's not just "anything you can find." It's a horde of garnishes where everybody gets a peck at your taste buds. Add ketchup to that mix, and the only thing you'll taste is ketchup. Now that, right there, that, is why only barbarians put ketchup on a Chicago dog. It's not an affectation. It really does wreck the taste.

If it's a taste you want to wreck, meh, but then why bother getting a Chicago dog.

As an aside, being you teach the black arts that is math, how would you react to the following (understanding that your students are a good bit older, so consider the age of the person here):
    I regularly deny any credit for correct answers. Occasionally, I give full credit for incorrect answers. Quite often, I give partial credit to a student who's recognized their answer is wrong, but is jammed up on finding where they went wrong. I literally ask them to write me a note on the paper saying why they know their answer is wrong.

Points won't pass you in my classes. I credit mastery of the material, as demonstrated by work. Knowing your answer is wrong demonstrates mastery, in part, anyway, if it's for a valid reason.

That image is little-kid funny. It's not funny in college, not to me, and more pointedly, not to their fellow students. These people paid for instruction, just like a theater patron paid for the show. You're tossing popcorn at the movies, you need to go. A student cutting up in front of the class would be asked to leave and receive an instructor withdrawal immediately afterwards, for disruption.

Go fight with my chair, I'm done with ya.

That's actually happened, by the way, twice, over twelve years, so it's really rare. On both occasions my chair asked me to re-admit them. On both occasions, I refused. The guy in the pic doesn't have that privilege. I do.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    My Ninja Squirrel Assassins have uncovered this picture of Andius:

36f36d4c46139958eda09fa8f1a20d7c.jpg

Exactly as I suspected
    Utter slander and balderdash!
    I'm a far better dresser for starters. More stylish for starters as the good Latin man that I am. Your squirrely minions need their intel straightened, Let me give a few references what a Taco loving ruler dresses like:

800px-Agustin_I_of_Mexico.jpg800px-Emperor_Agustin_I_kroningsportret.JPG

And more royally Mexican I dare say. That is how I'd enforce my regime of protecting true taconess.

And I just received this image of his tacos!
    A TRUE taco needs no stinking wrapper! That's what the tortilla is for. Henceforth, those aren't REAL tacos. So HAH! Nice try

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    My Ninja Squirrel Assassins have uncovered this picture of Andius:

36f36d4c46139958eda09fa8f1a20d7c.jpg

Exactly as I suspected
    And I just received this image of his tacos!

Leave a comment: