Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What languages do you speak or are studying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What languages do you speak or are studying?

I am admittedly a language nerd, and I study, learn new languages in my spare time. But I am curious... aside English... what other languages do TWebbers speak, wether fully or partially, and/or which ones are you studying? And as a bonus, which languages would you wish to know?
    I'll start:

Primary Language: Spanish

Second Languages: English and Portuguese (although my Portuguese still not fully polished admittedly).

Learning: Kʼicheʼ, Kaqchikel (both of those are Mayan languages), and Classical Latin.

Wishing: French, Italian, and Romanian. (I am admittedly a Romanophile, heheheheh).

What say you fellow TWebbers?
    Last edited by Andius; 09-30-2020, 07:02 PM.
    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

I can speak German (not quite fluently) and a little Spanish (basically just what I learned in Elementary school when I lived in Texas)

I can understand more German than I can speak. Never can seem to remember the words I want to use but when I hear them I know what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I can speak German (not quite fluently) and a little Spanish (basically just what I learned in Elementary school when I lived in Texas)

I can understand more German than I can speak. Never can seem to remember the words I want to use but when I hear them I know what they are.
      Oooooohhhh. Bet if you swing around areas like Texas, bet you'd understand the Texanized German found there still spoken by the German diaspora. Sounds pretty wicked cool. :D

On a side note, does Pirate count as a separate language?

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post

Oooooohhhh. Bet if you swing around areas like Texas, bet you'd understand the Texanized German found there still spoken by the German diaspora. Sounds pretty wicked cool. :D

On a side note, does Pirate count as a separate language?
        Aye.

Comment

Squirrel

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Primary language English
            Je parle un peu de français
            My granddaughter's dad is from Uruguay, so I need to learn some Spanish!
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I am relearning Toddler with my youngest granddaughter. And if I get it wrong she glares at me with the heat of 1001 suns. I remember a bit of my Spanish vocabulary from high school, and I can read some Spanish, even if I don't know what it says. I also know a (very) few words and phrases in French, German and Italian. Mostly "hello", "goodbye", that sort of thing. I find the development of languages and the etymology of words very interesting.
              Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Aye.
                Savvy
                Squirrel
                Segments of the picture Emperor's New Groove must have been understandable to you I presume... intriguing...

Primary language English
                Je parle un peu de français
                My granddaughter's dad is from Uruguay, so I need to learn some Spanish!
                Quel magnifique!

I bet you that with your French, it will fast track you to Spanish (Grammar structures are almost identical, Romance languages and all that, hehehe).

I am relearning Toddler with my youngest granddaughter. And if I get it wrong she glares at me with the heat of 1001 suns. I remember a bit of my Spanish vocabulary from high school, and I can read some Spanish, even if I don't know what it says. I also know a (very) few words and phrases in French, German and Italian. Mostly "hello", "goodbye", that sort of thing. I find the development of languages and the etymology of words very interesting.
                Aawwwnn, that's sweet. Oh I agree with how finicky some toddlers get in how they perceive one. Oh that makes two of us, I tend to pay close attention to etymologies as of late, heheheh. Bet you can acquire any of your said languages in no time, heheheh.

Comment

Originally posted by moreta View Post
                  Moreta!

Glad to see ya!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I speak Spanish and English, and I grew up in Costa Rica and Panama. Learn a bunch of Latin force fed in school. Helpful in science.

Speak OK street Chinese and read Chinese. Lived in China nine years, and published translations of Bronze Age Chines poetry written by women.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      I speak Spanish and English, and I grew up in Costa Rica and Panama. Learn a bunch of Latin force fed in school. Helpful in science.

Speak OK street Chinese and read Chinese. Lived in China nine years, and published translations of Bronze Age Chines poetry written by women.
                      Ooohhh I remember that yes, you grew up in the tail end of Central America! Regretful your learning experience of Latin though. Helpful yes (don't forget Greek as well, heheheh), and in law as well.
                      Mmmhhh, a bit of Chinese (I imagine the one they call "Guānhuà" yes?) , that's mighty impressive. Admittedly that one still makes me nervous to take on, heheh. But one day for sure I'l give it a go...

Comment

I learned French to some degree in High School. I sort of am okay reading it but many words are um foreign to me -- if that makes sense.

I'm trying to learn German. I found a book Loom of Language that is partly designed to help people study on their own . I also have another book that is designed to help people learn to read German -- which is my main goal.

And I'm still working on my English. I was told I need to work on my standard written English.

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post

Ooohhh I remember that yes, you grew up in the tail end of Central America! Regretful your learning experience of Latin though. Helpful yes (don't forget Greek as well, heheheh), and in law as well.
                          Mmmhhh, a bit of Chinese (I imagine the one they call "Guānhuà" yes?) , that's mighty impressive. Admittedly that one still makes me nervous to take on, heheh. But one day for sure I'l give it a go...
                          My Latin lessons were not appreciated in high school, but for the most part remembered and useful. Guānhuà, yes, and the variations of Guānhuà are not much different. but I found the other dialects unintelligible, but fortunately the writing is pretty much universal regardless of the traditional or simple modern written text.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

This reminded me I need to play "Learn Japanese to Survive!". I have the collection, but have only scratched the surface of hiragana.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              This reminded me I need to play "Learn Japanese to Survive!". I have the collection, but have only scratched the surface of hiragana.
                              The "to survive" got a giggle of from me. Heheheheheh. To think it's 1 of 2 syllabaries in the language, wishing you the best should you resume the endeavor!

Comment