Idioms and the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idioms and the Bible

A lot of our sayings come from verses and stories in the bible.

Post an example here and let's see how many we can come up with.

I will start with "It's as clear as the writing on the wall"

It comes from Daniel 5,
    5 Suddenly the fingers of a human hand appeared and wrote on the plaster of the wall, near the lampstand in the royal palace. The king watched the hand as it wrote. 6 His face turned pale and he was so frightened that his legs became weak and his knees were knocking.

Another one.

we all know "salt of the earth" comes from the sermon on the mount, but did you know that the phrase "good for nothing" does too?

Matthew 5:13 KJV
    Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

(heard that on the radio this morning)
    Last edited by Sparko; 07-12-2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

"Raising Cain" meaning causing trouble comes from Genesis
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

2 Kings 9:20 The tower guard reported, “The messenger met them, but he isn’t returning. And the style of chariot driving is like Jehu, Nimshi’s son. Jehu drives like a madman.”

Comment

By the Skin of Your Teeth
          from Job 19:20
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Blind Leading the Blind
            Matthew 15:13-14
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
              from Ecclesiastes 8:15

Comment

"As old as the hills"

Inspired by Job 15:7
                Art thou the first man that was born? or wast thou made before the hills? --KJV

"Are you the first man ever born? Were you brought forth before the hills? --NIV

"Are you the first man who was born? Or were you brought forth before the hills? --ESV

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apple of my eye

Some folks might think of the line in A Midsummer Night’s Dream,[1] but it can be found in Zechariah 2:8

For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye. --KJV

For this is what the LORD Almighty says: "After the Glorious One has sent me against the nations that have plundered you--for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye --NIV

For thus said the LORD of hosts, after his glory sent me to the nations who plundered you, for he who touches you touches the apple of his eye: --ESV

It can also be found in several versions of Deuteronomy 32:10 (including the KJV, NIV, ESV, ASV, WBT, YLT) but is "pupil of his eye" or something else in many others.

Flower of this purple dye,
                  Hit with Cupid’s archery,
                  Sink in apple of his eye

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    "As old as the hills"

Inspired by Job 15:7
                    Art thou the first man that was born? or wast thou made before the hills? --KJV

"Are you the first man ever born? Were you brought forth before the hills? --NIV

"Are you the first man who was born? Or were you brought forth before the hills? --ESV
                    probably also inspired, "older than dirt"

Mossy IS mentioned in the bible!!

Comment

Apocalypse and Armageddon. Two terms grossly misused these days.
                      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        Apocalypse and Armageddon. Two terms grossly misused these days.
                        That is not what this thread is about.

It is about modern sayings that we have in speech that came from verses in the bible.

2 Kings 9:20
                        The lookout reported, “He has reached them, but he isn’t coming back either. The driving is like that of Jehu son of Nimshi—he drives like a maniac.”

Comment

For Everything there is a Season
                          from Ecclesiastes 3

Comment

Forbidden Fruit
                            from Genesis 3:3

Comment

Fly in the Ointment
                              from Ecclesiastes 10:1

Comment