Father's Day - What is it to You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Day - What is it to You?

And, let me say up front, that many times, these special days are really tough for a segment of the population.

There are those who lost their Dad in the previous year, and this will be their first year without him.
    There are those whose Dad is still living, but there's a remoteness, or even a division or separation, and it makes the attention on Father's Day to be difficult.
    Or, there are Dads who have a child who is distant, and this is a tough time.

My Dad is right at 95 years old, and our relationship is really good.

But I remember once, when I was a youth minister, talking to a young man about God, and using a parallel ... "It's like when your earthly father..." and this kid interrupted me and very angrily stated "If God is anything like my old man, I don't want anything to do with Him!"

It hit me that not everybody has a good relationship with their fathers.

How bout you?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I had a good father and no complaints. My dad is 96, will be 97 in October. I plan to go down to visit my folks in late October after I recover from my Rotator Cuff surgery.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Its a day of mixed feelings. I don't know when I will get to see my dad for fathers day, much less either one of my Grandfathers. (Both in their 80's) My husband has to work, and my oldest daughter's biological dad is a mess and nearly totally absent from her life, so for the first 5 years she was pretty much raised by me, wit help from my parents and now the other father figure she has is my husband. She clings to the "magic" of daddy, but he isn't there and its heart breaking to watch even though having my husband is really the best thing all the way around. And then its just hard to be away from family at times.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah, my oldest granddaughter's "dad" was just a sperm donor. He's been in prison most of his adult life for armed robbery, and has "fathered" numerous children with numerous young ladies. Heidi is 19 now, and still believes in her heart that one day her "dad" will magically transform into a real DAD. I don't see it happening. He has never sent her a birthday card, a birthday present, any kind of financial assistance.... but he's always promising stuff.

Fortunately, I have a very good relationship with her, but unfortunately, the one thing we can't talk about is her "dad". He has serially broken her heart, but she won't give up hoping. In a way, that's a good thing, but......

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

my dad was an alcoholic when I was growing up, so it was a hard relationship. then after I was an adult (nearly 40) he became a Christian (he is the main reason I became a Christian) and totally changed. He did become a loving father. So, CP, there is always hope for Heidi's dad. Keep praying!

My dad is dead now, over 10 years now. I miss him a lot. But I know I will be reunited with him one day!

Comment

I had a wonderful, loving relationship with my Dad. I was born when he was 35, the youngest of 5 girls, and my brother was born 5 years later.

Dad worked hard to support us all, but we never wanted for a thing. He was a very gentle man, in fact my kids, when they were little and right in the middle of the first Care Bears craze, called him " Tenderheart". He would weep when somebody won a prize on a game show! He wept at my wedding, and when he first saw my children after they were born.

Dad took us all to church. We all love music, and I can't count the number of times I sang duets with Dad. He had the most beautiful tenor. I learned what it means to be a believer from him and my Mom. My husband did not have a father growing up, and he learned how to be one from my Dad. I could go on and on about his influence in not only his children's lives, but in his grandchildren's.

He died just before he turned 71. Far too young. He has been gone 25 years, and I still miss him. There is so much I wish I had asked him, and so much I wish I would have expressed about how much he meant to me while he was still here.

And now I am weeping.....

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I'm missing my dad today.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment