Foreign Language Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Language Study

Just out of curiosity, which foreign languages have you studied? Did you obtain a high level of proficiency in any of them? I took two years of Spanish in high school and two years of Japanese in college. I had a civilian job at an air force base and I studied biblical Greek with the chaplain. We went through the book Fundamental Greek Grammar by Voelz. I also studied some French on my own.

I took a couple years of Spanish in high school, and could bumble through in a visit to Mexico years ago. Never proficient, lost most of what I had at that time. Did a semester of French and began a semester of German. Never had any degree of proficiency in either.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Dictionary German.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I learned French while living in Montreal and Paris, learned German living in Cologne and Würzburg, learned Dutch living in Belgium. Started learning Greek in college, continued it in graduate school, along with Hebrew, Aramaic, Moabitic (basically Hebrew in an older alphabet), and a little Latin. Can read some Spanish and Italian but not speak them.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I took a couple years of Spanish in high school, and could bumble through in a visit to Mexico years ago. Never proficient, lost most of what I had at that time. Did a semester of French and began a semester of German. Never had any degree of proficiency in either.
          I lost most of what I learned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
            Just out of curiosity, which foreign languages have you studied? Did you obtain a high level of proficiency in any of them? I took two years of Spanish in high school and two years of Japanese in college. I had a civilian job at an air force base and I studied biblical Greek with the chaplain. We went through the book Fundamental Greek Grammar by Voelz. I also studied some French on my own.
            I've studied Spanish and Chinese. I can maintain some simple conversations in Chinese, although no native speaker would mistake me for a fellow native speaker. I used to be able to maintain simple conversations in Spanish, but my command of that language is too rusty now.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I studied a couple of years of French in high school and college; mainly because I wanted to be different from everybody else taking Spanish. I showed an aptitude for it but without any reason to use it I've lost almost all of it.

In a perfect world I'd learn Koine Greek.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                In a perfect world I'd learn Koine Greek.
                Does that mean we can blame you for this being an imperfect world?

Comment