Ap comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ap comp

Our composition teacher would like use to write a rhetorical argumentation or persuasive paper on any topic we choose and there seems to be a militant atheist/fundy atheist who wants to write how evil religion is,which my teacher allows(who's also a Christian).
    I was thinking since I couldn't think of anything to write on I would oppose his position in my own paper.
    Any advice? We have two days to prepare so I'm just waiting for him to make his own points first and then try to oppose them.
    If i find a way I'll try to post both our papers on here when completed(with his name removed).
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

If I were a teacher, I would insist on an original topic. Writing a response to someone else's paper eliminates a great deal of the work (such as developing your own structure and your own arguments, rather than just responding to their arguments). I would be even more insistent upon you developing your own topic in an AP class.

Comment

Make sure you have a central thesis so that you're doing more than just negating your opponent's points: you're not just out to humiliate your opponent, you have your own point to prove about the value of religion.

It might be worth having one or two examples that really flesh out what makes religion worthwhile. One could suggest the abolitionist movement and the civil rights movement as examples that you might use with respect to religion being a driving force for justice. A quote from MLK's Letter from a Birmingham Jail might be particularly helpful for the latter point.

Once you have a few fleshed-out examples, you can rattle off a series of movements that followed similar patterns to make your argument even stronger.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
        If I were a teacher, I would insist on an original topic. Writing a response to someone else's paper eliminates a great deal of the work (such as developing your own structure and your own arguments, rather than just responding to their arguments). I would be even more insistent upon you developing your own topic in an AP class.
        We do make our own topics often and I'm just curious how it'll all play out.
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

In virtually any persuasive piece, you're expected to anticipate and deal with counter-arguments. In this case, he will have the counter-arguments already in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            Make sure you have a central thesis so that you're doing more than just negating your opponent's points: you're not just out to humiliate your opponent, you have your own point to prove about the value of religion.

It might be worth having one or two examples that really flesh out what makes religion worthwhile. One could suggest the abolitionist movement and the civil rights movement as examples that you might use with respect to religion being a driving force for justice. A quote from MLK's Letter from a Birmingham Jail might be particularly helpful for the latter point.

Once you have a few fleshed-out examples, you can rattle off a series of movements that followed similar patterns to make your argument even stronger.
            We actually read MLK"s letter while he was in jail just last week.

Comment

Our teacher actually insists in debates in our class not just writing and I've never really debated anyone personally,so I don't see why not. Also I'll be writing a paper on something else in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                We actually read MLK"s letter while he was in jail just last week.
                Sounds like he's an easy example to appeal to, then. Make use of the resources in front of you to persuade your audience.

Comment

The Southern Baptist Convention was #3 worldwide in Disaster Response. This past year, the SBC became #2, only behind the Red Cross.

Where do atheist organizations rank on this list? OH, those evil Southern Baptists!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We do make our own topics often and I'm just curious how it'll all play out.
                    In that case, I'd check with the teacher. If he/she is cool with it, great. And Spartacus has some good ideas.

Comment

In virtually any persuasive piece, you're expected to anticipate and deal with counter-arguments. In this case, he will have the counter-arguments already in front of him.
                      Anticipate and deal with, yes. But if I want my students to anticipate, I don't want them taking a shortcut and using someone else's writing to crib from.

Comment

Anticipate and deal with, yes. But if I want my students to anticipate, I don't want them taking a shortcut and using someone else's writing to crib from.
                        There's always the chance that his opponent's arguments are so inferior that he will have to come up with better ones to knock down. Otherwise, if he doesn't respond to his opponent's primary arguments, it can't really be called a debate.

Comment

There's always the chance that his opponent's arguments are so inferior that he will have to come up with better ones to knock down. Otherwise, if he doesn't respond to his opponent's primary arguments, it can't really be called a debate.
                          I understood debates to be separate projects, and this assignment to just be a paper, not a debate. I may be wrong on that, but that's what I'm basing my answers on.

Comment

I understood debates to be separate projects, and this assignment to just be a paper, not a debate. I may be wrong on that, but that's what I'm basing my answers on.
                            It's a paper but we're allowed to argue against his paper. His topic is basically religion in America,which I have no doubt it'll turn into christianity in America.

Comment

It's a paper but we're allowed to argue against his paper. His topic is basically religion in America,which I have no doubt it'll turn into christianity in America.
                              Ah! Like I said, if the teacher is cool with your paper being a response, go for it. Especially if you feel passionate about the topic.

Comment