Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Selling your stuff on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling your stuff on eBay

So, you get a new motherboard, hard drive, flat panel.... what do you do with your old stuff?

I have..... on various occasions....

A) Left stuff at Best Buy for proper disposal
    2) Donated to charitable organizations
    C) Left stuff stacked on shelves, getting even more depreciated by the day

I've thought about selling some of this stuff on eBay, but wonder if that's even worth the trouble.
    (I HAVE sold stuff on eBay -- old cisco routers, 24 port network switches, etc...)

(and let's assume that we all know that, if you get rid of your hard drive, you really need to know that the data is.. .well.... I just destroy old hard drives so I don't take the risk )
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Do you have stuff like Kijiji down there?

Which allows you to sell stuff to local people so you don't have to deal with shipping and setting up accounts and stuff....my daughter has used it to sell a bunch of stuff, and also to buy some stuff.

Some people give things away on it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Do you have stuff like Kijiji down there?
      I don't think so, but you can prolly get a prescription for it.

Which allows you to sell stuff to local people so you don't have to deal with shipping and setting up accounts and stuff....my daughter has used it to sell a bunch of stuff, and also to buy some stuff.
      AH!!!! Yes, there's a local version of Craig's List, but with a much more "we only deal with people we know and can verify" approach, so you don't set out to sell your whatsafratz and end up on the side of a milk carton.

Some people give things away on it.
      Yeah, I listed the old radio out of my wife's car, cause I had gotten her a new radio with GPS and fancy stuff, and I sold it* for $1.00.

*the old one, not the new one with GPS and fancy stuff
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Amazon takes some electronics,you should check with them.
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, you get a new motherboard, hard drive, flat panel.... what do you do with your old stuff?

I have..... on various occasions....

A) Left stuff at Best Buy for proper disposal
          2) Donated to charitable organizations
          C) Left stuff stacked on shelves, getting even more depreciated by the day

I've thought about selling some of this stuff on eBay, but wonder if that's even worth the trouble.
          (I HAVE sold stuff on eBay -- old cisco routers, 24 port network switches, etc...)

(and let's assume that we all know that, if you get rid of your hard drive, you really need to know that the data is.. .well.... I just destroy old hard drives so I don't take the risk )
          Is it stuff that worthwhile to sell at all? I mean, yeah, I have some old equipment that I probably could sell, but I have to wonder if I wouldn't pay more in shipping than I would get at auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
            Is it stuff that worthwhile to sell at all? I mean, yeah, I have some old equipment that I probably could sell, but I have to wonder if I wouldn't pay more in shipping than I would get at auction.
            That's the problem.... one man's junk is another man's treasure - the problem is finding "that man". I kinda like Mossy's suggestion - save the shipping costs, and keep it simple. The biggest problem is procrastination -- if I had sold the stuff as soon as I no longer needed it, it would have been more "sellable".

Comment

You could just set it out at the curb in a big box that says, "Free to good home".

Probably disappear like magic.

Unless you really want to get a few bucks for it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You could just set it out at the curb in a big box that says, "Free to good home".

Probably disappear like magic.

Unless you really want to get a few bucks for it.
                Naw, I don't really "need" money for it -- I'm just such a Scotsman.... I paid BIG BUCKS for a lot of this stuff "way back when", and it's virtually valueless now.

and getting valuelesser by the day

Comment

Naw, I don't really "need" money for it -- I'm just such a Scotsman.... I paid BIG BUCKS for a lot of this stuff "way back when", and it's virtually valueless now.

and getting valuelesser by the day
                  I hear ya, cuz I am the same way.

Anybody in the church could might use it? Some older person who just needs something to send emails and play solitaire on?

Comment

I hear ya, cuz I am the same way.

Anybody in the church could might use it? Some older person who just needs something to send emails and play solitaire on?

Well, in my experience, when you give something to somebody you know, you are never free of it. There's always that, "hey, when you had this, did you....."

I think I need to separate it into "stuff that simply needs thrown away", and "stuff for which I might actually get enough money to justify dealing with it".

And I think the local "whatchamacallit" networking thing is the way to go -- keep out of the "boxing and shipping" thing.

Comment

Well, in my experience, when you give something to somebody you know, you are never free of it. There's always that, "hey, when you had this, did you....."

I think I need to separate it into "stuff that simply needs thrown away", and "stuff for which I might actually get enough money to justify dealing with it".

And I think the local "whatchamacallit" networking thing is the way to go -- keep out of the "boxing and shipping" thing.

Comment

Some older person who just needs something to send emails and play solitaire on?
                        If it's just the motherboard, drive, and monitor, that can be problematic. It will need a new case, power supply, and CD/DVD drive (at least), and while that's not as much as a new computer, it still ain't cheap.

Comment

1. see if there is a local buy, sell and trade group on facebook for your area.
                          2. Re-purpose the old tech. Make a standalone security system out of it (if you have the parts), or something "artsy" like an aquarium out of old monitors. something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                            If it's just the motherboard, drive, and monitor, that can be problematic. It will need a new case, power supply, and CD/DVD drive (at least), and while that's not as much as a new computer, it still ain't cheap.
                            Well. That tells you how much I know about puter stuff!

Comment

Comment