Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Check for ports that should be closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check for ports that should be closed

If your computer has a port that is open when it's not needed, that gives hackers an in into your computer. There's a website that checks for any open ports.

I think the best way to use it is right after a boot. Then point your browser to this: http://porttest.net
    Maybe there are 4096 ports, I'm not sure.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Are you ASKING for advice, or attempting to give it. There are over 65,000 TCP ports and over 65,000 UDP ports per IP address. You really shouldn't mess with the ports if you don't understand what you're doing.

A good firewall and antivirus software will take care of this for you.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

you really should block port 80 and port 443. It will greatly enhance your internet experience

NOTE: DO NOT DO THAT as it will block just about all internet access rendering your pc useless
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Are you ASKING for advice, or attempting to give it. There are over 65,000 TCP ports and over 65,000 UDP ports per IP address. You really shouldn't mess with the ports if you don't understand what you're doing.

A good firewall and antivirus software will take care of this for you.
        Seemed like he was attempting to give "advice". What are the ports things he was talking about anyway?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          you really should block port 80 and port 443. It will greatly enhance your internet experience

NOTE: DO NOT DO THAT as it will block just about all internet access rendering your pc useless
          After pressing CTRL+W or alt+f4.

Comment

Here is a list of TCP port assignments http://porttest.net/common.php

I don't know how complete it is; there is a link at the bottom of the list.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
              And ports 25 and 26, then email me for more info.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Seemed like he was attempting to give "advice". What are the ports things he was talking about anyway?
                they're one of those things where if you don't know, don't be fiddling with them. Just let your pc firewall do it's job

Wikipedia has a decent overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_(computer_networking)
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I ain't clickin' no links given by a conspiracy theorist!

Comment

Ports are kinda like channels on your Cable TV box --- different processes or communications use different ports.

Comment

I ain't clickin' no links given by a conspiracy theorist!
                      Yeah, smart move.

Comment

I've read some very reliable sites that say that computer ports are a conspiracy of big pharma. Why else are computer problems caused by 'viruses'? I rest my case.

Comment

One would think some people think the Watergate coverup was NOT a conspiracy. Tricky Dicky did all the coverup by all his lonesome self.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                            One would think some people think the Watergate coverup was NOT a conspiracy. Tricky Dicky did all the coverup by all his lonesome self.
                            Sure. Just not the kind of conspiracy you think is going on. People are too incompetent/ not evil enough to have a secret global evil conspiracy controlling everything. If the conspiracy nuts were right, no one would have figured out Watergate.

Comment

Sure. Just not the kind of conspiracy you think is going on. People are too incompetent/ not evil enough to have a secret global evil conspiracy controlling everything. If the conspiracy nuts were right, no one would have figured out Watergate.
                              Yep...as someone who lived through that, I can attest to that!
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment