Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Excel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel Question

Is there a way to create an entry sheet that allows someone to make new entries to a sheet without opening the sheet? I'm thinking of a interface where Bob can enter information but not be messing with the data sheet itself. I'm doing a registry for my church but it's senseless to have something only I can update - and our church secretary isn't good with spreadsheets. I'm thinking I've seen this done in Excel but it's been too long and I don't have a clue how it was done.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

You can have a spreadsheet link to cells in another spreadsheet, so that when the second spreadsheet changes, it also changes in the first spreadsheet. You do have to have access to the other spreadsheet though, or it can't update.

Go to help in excel and search for External References

====
    Create an external reference between cells in different workbooks

1.Open the workbook that will contain the external reference (the destination workbook) and the workbook that contains the data that you want to link to (the source workbook).

2.In the source workbook, click Save Button image on the Quick Access Toolbar.
    Keyboard shortcut Press CTRL+S.

3.Select the cell or cells in which you want to create the external reference.

4.Type = (equal sign). If you want to perform calculations or functions on the external reference's value, type the operator or function that you want to precede the external reference.

5.Switch to the source workbook, and then click the worksheet that contains the cells that you want to link to.

6.Select the cell or cells that you want to link to.

7.Return to the destination workbook, and notice that Excel adds the reference to the source workbook and the cells that you selected in the previous step.

8.Optionally, in the destination worksheet, edit or change the formula.

9.Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Comment

Thanks. I knew I could do it that way - and may end up having to. I'd like a simpler interface for the data entry so that it adds to the table.

Probably not explaining this well enough.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I found it! Thanks!!!!

http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/dat..._data_form.htm

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

A more powerful way of allowing multiple people to do this would be with a relational database, eg, MS Access. But it sounds like you may not need something this powerful at thus point.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            A more powerful way of allowing multiple people to do this would be with a relational database, eg, MS Access. But it sounds like you may not need something this powerful at thus point.
            Thanks. No, it's just going to need an interface for the church secretary and I'll do the spreadsheet management. There isn't enough work to justify the purchase.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment