Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

CAN One Wipe Email Servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikewhitney
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I thought email servers were shared, first of all, so it confuses me when they talk of turning servers over. And servers have backups, yes? So how can all traces be wiped? How is this different from the "crashed" IRS email flap?

I put this in Comp Lab because, interesting as it is, I just want to understand the technical side of this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...mails-29963844
    Don't worry. The NSA has a copy of the emails.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Can't a really strong magnet do the trick?

I heard about one guy who was arrested for doing horrible things on his computer, but he lined his front doorway with magnets so when investigators pulled his hard drive out for evidence, there was no evidence left against him.
    That would have to be a VERY powerful magnet. Magnetic fields drop off with the inverse square ratio, so you just about have to rub a magnet on the disc itself to wipe it, and it wouldn't be a complete wipe either. Having a magnet in the doorway sounds like an urban legend to me.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I heard about one guy who was arrested for doing horrible things on his computer, but he lined his front doorway with magnets so when investigators pulled his hard drive out for evidence, there was no evidence left against him.
    That would work against basic recovery tools, but a residual charge would still remain, and a really good data recovery firm can still read the residual charges.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Just deleting the emails doesn't actually delete the information. If she just had them deleted, they are easily recoverable by any data recovery company. If she used something to intentionally cover her tracks, like WipeDrive, then it is substantially harder to recover the information

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I thought email servers were shared, first of all, so it confuses me when they talk of turning servers over. And servers have backups, yes? So how can all traces be wiped? How is this different from the "crashed" IRS email flap?

I put this in Comp Lab because, interesting as it is, I just want to understand the technical side of this.

If you're running your own mail servers, you can wipe it pretty easily (. And the there is a good chance that she wasn't making backups (backups aren't a required thing, just a very good idea)

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    started a topic CAN One Wipe Email Servers?

CAN One Wipe Email Servers?