Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Bulding your own PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I went with a lower-end SSD (Crucial MX100 128GB SATA SSD) for my OS drive, so while it definitely boots up quite fast it doesn't do it quite as fast as yours does.
    Actually, I think that's the exact SSD I have. It is lower-end, but for some reason my PC boots really fast.

But I also think my display takes a little longer than necessary to turn on. I'm hooked up to an older 46" Sony TV, btw. It's nice.

Edit: What's your video card? I've got a Radeon R9 280X.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Wow, nice. I don't do anything that would require more than 8GB of RAM (maybe even 4), so 16 would definitely be overkill for me.

But my favorite part of my new PC is my SSD. My computer boots faster than my display turns on.
    I went with a lower-end SSD (Crucial MX100 128GB SATA SSD) for my OS drive, so while it definitely boots up quite fast it doesn't do it quite as fast as yours does.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Yeah, I'm wanting to build a PC for gaming, but right now what I have(except Vista) will probably be able to handle some good stuff for at least a few more years. I have 9 gigs of ram, an i7 processor of some kind, and a GTX 660 ti graphics card. Hoping to get Windows 7 soon. Not sure on some of the other stuff in there though.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    foreign eurotrash
    You're the one who's a foreigner, yankee!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Same motherboard as you, but my processor is a i7-4790K. For RAM I went for Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2x8GB) which is probably overkill for the stuff I do with my PC. All in all my PC cost me about 2011€ () at the time I bought it, with all the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse etc) included.
    Wow, nice. I don't do anything that would require more than 8GB of RAM (maybe even 4), so 16 would definitely be overkill for me.

But my favorite part of my new PC is my SSD. My computer boots faster than my display turns on.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Same motherboard as you, but my processor is a i7-4790K. For RAM I went for Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2x8GB) which is probably overkill for the stuff I do with my PC. All in all my PC cost me about 2011€ () at the time I bought it, with all the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse etc) included.
    Hey hey hey!!! None of that foreign eurotrash stuff here!!! Only Good Ol' American PC equipment made in China is allowed in my thread.

'Murica!!!

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    It will be both a file server, and a media PC. I record TV on it and my main display is my HDTV in my livingroom. I also need it to be able to convert video formats fairly quickly. So I need something that can

1. Handle multiple drives (I have 5 right now)
    2. Output HDTV (1920 x 1080 min)
    3. Be good at graphics and video conversions (usually means a good GPU is needed)
    4. Have 5.1 min sound channels (optical coax port to connect to my surround sound system)
    5. Gigabit ethernet connection
    6. lots of USB ports.
    yeeeeeeeeeeeaah, no. My builds are mostly geared towards gaming, so I'm probably out of my depth here.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I have an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with an i5-4570 (quadcore). I've also got 8GB of Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz RAM. It's working great for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    Is this a Server Computer or a Personal Computer you're trying to build? I don't have a clue when it comes to Server Computers, but for Personal Desktops, I've built one (and tinkered with many that were given to me in the past).
    It will be both a file server, and a media PC. I record TV on it and my main display is my HDTV in my livingroom. I also need it to be able to convert video formats fairly quickly. So I need something that can

1. Handle multiple drives (I have 5 right now)
    2. Output HDTV (1920 x 1080 min)
    3. Be good at graphics and video conversions (usually means a good GPU is needed)
    4. Have 5.1 min sound channels (optical coax port to connect to my surround sound system)
    5. Gigabit ethernet connection
    6. lots of USB ports.

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    I always build my own computers (except laptops)

My file server is getting pretty old though. It has a Pentium D motherboard from Asus. It does have USB 3 and SATA 2 ports. I also have an ATI Radeon 9000(?) graphics card and 5 SATA drives.

I want to upgrade the motherboard but to keep things cheap I want to be able to keep everything else the same, such as the drives and the graphics card unless it comes with a better one built in to the CPU. I figure I will have to buy new memory too. Not sure about the power supply. The case is an ATX server case.

I haven't been really keeping up with processors much lately. I want something with good built in graphics if available, and probably 6 cores.

So what would be a good motherboard/cpu/memory for me? I tend to like Intel cpus over AMD. And I like ASUS motherboards but I am open to other ones too.
    Is this a Server Computer or a Personal Computer you're trying to build? I don't have a clue when it comes to Server Computers, but for Personal Desktops, I've built one (and tinkered with many that were given to me in the past).

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Subscribing - though it's been quite a while since I built my own computers.

There was a time I was building 2 or 3 a week for resale! That was when there was a BIG difference between building your own and buying "off the shelf".
    yeah. I would buy one "off the shelf" but I have most of the parts already, I am hoping. And I like my case. I haven't really upgraded the thing since about 2009 though.

I have a nice pre-built HP powerhouse here at work. It has a Xeon E5649 Processor with 6 cores, running at 2.53Ghz, but even that is a few years old. Not sure what is out there. They have way too many processors nowadays with various chipsets, graphics and pin layouts. Hard to decide what is best. But I do a lot of video work and file conversions, so I want something fast and powerful, and will last me for another 5 or 6 years.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied

My file server is getting pretty old though. It has a Pentium D motherboard from Asus. It does have USB 3 and SATA 2 ports. I also have an ATI Radeon 9000(?) graphics card and 5 SATA drives.

I want to upgrade the motherboard but to keep things cheap I want to be able to keep everything else the same, such as the drives and the graphics card unless it comes with a better one built in to the CPU. I figure I will have to buy new memory too. Not sure about the power supply. The case is an ATX server case.

I haven't been really keeping up with processors much lately. I want something with good built in graphics if available, and probably 6 cores.

So what would be a good motherboard/cpu/memory for me? I tend to like Intel cpus over AMD. And I like ASUS motherboards but I am open to other ones too.
    I have an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with an i5-4570 (quadcore). I've also got 8GB of Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz RAM. It's working great for me.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Subscribing - though it's been quite a while since I built my own computers.

There was a time I was building 2 or 3 a week for resale! That was when there was a BIG difference between building your own and buying "off the shelf".

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    started a topic Bulding your own PC

Bulding your own PC