Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Bulding your own PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam
    replied
    If you're looking to future-proof, ASUS is releasing USB 3.1 mainboards ... I've got an i7 4790K sitting on my (now ancient) AMD 965BE tower that's been waiting for these boards.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    drool....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7753/i...ore-xeon-e7-v2

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    For a file server with media encoding capability, I'd recommend the AMD 6300, 6350 (both 6-core) or AMD 8350 (8-core). Straight retail, you'll save ~$60 over the nearest quad-core i5 processor but the 6300-series chips have been on sale sporadically — I believe I bought one for a system last November for ~$70. I agree that video processing is best offloaded to a good GPU but if you want to keep it all on the one chip, you probably want the Intel chips, as they outperform AMD in performance there. Here's a comparison between the AMD 8350 (125W, $170) and the Intel i5 4690K (88W, $240).

Leave a comment:

• mikewhitney
    replied
    Another somewhat interesting point was that AMD has compiler support for their GPU processors. They had some decoder sample code, if memory serves. But I suppose the general programming community may have its own code and own plans for GPU usage for decoding.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I'm a cheapskate, so I'll just wait for it to get out of Early-Access so I can get it for free.
    Yup, I already have the base game, no DLC unfortunately though. I have Terraria(don't know how to set up to play online though), I have Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, I have Sanctum 2, Trine, Trine 2, and I have a few f2p titles I really enjoy. I have other stuff, mostly gotten on sales. Ooh, I forgot about Dungeon Defenders. I have all the DLC too.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    I'm a cheapskate, so I'll just wait for it to get out of Early-Access so I can get it for free.
    I made a thread on it.

Leave a comment:

• mikewhitney
    replied
    I don't think onboard video will give you a useful GPU for encoding/decoding video. If this is important, search out the best conversion software/GPU match.

I made a couple mistakes on building my computer. First I got a ASUS motherboard with only a few CPUs being supported ( I have an i7-3820). The other issue was that the CPU was an older version which wasn't listed to be compatible with the CPU. It generally works nicely. Though I have had episodes where the screen goes completely white. Usually the problem has persisted even through reboots -- but never into a new day. (It is pretty rare -- maybe a couple times a year.)

ASUS P9X79 motherboard
    Intel i7 3820 -- 3.6GHz CPU
    8Gig RAM
    Cooler Master heatsink assembly
    ASUS HD7750 Video card
    Patriot Pyro SSD

I didn't have any special video requirements. But I did want the video with its own memory.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I do! What do you have in mind? I recently got Don't Starve Together...I think I'll actually make a thread on this.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    I do have steam, but I'm a bit vary about playing with people from 'murica. I'm not sure I could stand the lag.
    When I played some games with Chrs the lag wasn't too bad except on a certain game, and then it was usually when we weren't playing with just the two of us. I've got a better connection since then(ethernet instead of wireless), and unless it's a server issue with the game, I don't get much at all. I even played a bit with Andius on my PS3, and we didn't notice any lag in that game at all. That was a f2p game and was a wireless connection for me.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Hmm, with computers like this we should try playing some games.

Do you guys have steam?
    I do! What do you have in mind? I recently got Don't Starve Together...I think I'll actually make a thread on this.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    Once about 15+ years ago, I tried to build my own PC in a sense by way of buying a new motherboard to replace the one I had in an existing PC, just for a faster processor (it would have been an upgrade from 300 MHz to 900 MHz, if I remember right). I didn't get any further than connecting the motherboard to the chassis; no matter what I did I couldn't get power to it and couldn't figure out why. In the end I had to return the new motherboard and reconnect the old one, which thankfully still worked.

It was the only time I tried to build my own PC; never tried again since. But since then, PCs have improved enough that I've really had no reason to either build one or, more recently, even install upgrades in one; they now have more power than I really need for the most part.
    Nowadays building your own computer is about as hard as assembling lego IMO, as long as you're sufficiently careful with how you handle the parts. It's really gotten much easier than how it was back in the old days.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied

Do you guys have steam?
    I do have steam, but I'm a bit vary about playing with people from 'murica. I'm not sure I could stand the lag.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    Once about 15+ years ago, I tried to build my own PC in a sense by way of buying a new motherboard to replace the one I had in an existing PC, just for a faster processor (it would have been an upgrade from 300 MHz to 900 MHz, if I remember right). I didn't get any further than connecting the motherboard to the chassis; no matter what I did I couldn't get power to it and couldn't figure out why. In the end I had to return the new motherboard and reconnect the old one, which thankfully still worked.

It was the only time I tried to build my own PC; never tried again since. But since then, PCs have improved enough that I've really had no reason to either build one or, more recently, even install upgrades in one; they now have more power than I really need for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    I'm completely and totally in love with my ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II.

My display is a AOC g2460Fq 24" (144Hz refresh rate) TN panel. It takes about 5 seconds to turn on completely, so maybe that explains the different experiences we have with boot times.

Do you guys have steam?

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    a GTX 660 ti graphics card.
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Actually, I think that's the exact SSD I have. It is lower-end, but for some reason my PC boots really fast.

But I also think my display takes a little longer than necessary to turn on. I'm hooked up to an older 46" Sony TV, btw. It's nice.

Edit: What's your video card? I've got a Radeon R9 280X.
    I'm completely and totally in love with my ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II.

My display is a AOC g2460Fq 24" (144Hz refresh rate) TN panel. It takes about 5 seconds to turn on completely, so maybe that explains the different experiences we have with boot times.

Leave a comment: