Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Dossier on hacks (started 201502 18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dossier on hacks (started 201502 18)

Unless someone objects, my future reports on hackings will be put in this thread.

"Biggest bank hack" http://www.komando.com/happening-now...bank-hack-ever
    Hopefully you were not caught in that. Not much anyway you can do beyond being beware of subsequent scams and visiting your bank's website DIRECTLY (enter the URL yourself, manually).
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

don't post from Kim Komandos blog. She is no computer expert. She was in sales and decided to move into blogging. Reading some of the stories on her site, I find misinformation (mostly overstated, to cause panic, with no actual details) and basically ripoffs from other news articles (er, "reposting")

Find a better source, Truthseeker. Kim is as bad as those TV Doctors I was complaining about, worse since she has no actual tech background other than as a computer saleswoman. Basically her show and site are still about selling. Various security apps, ads, random crap from her advertisers, etc. Her advice is at best generic and geared toward non-computer literate people who basically have to be told how to turn their computers on and off, and at worse it is misleading scare tactics designed to sell products from her website.

Here are some ripoff reports about her site:
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kim-Ko...tionwide-27729

some other comments:
    http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/...c=17509.0;wap2

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kim-Ko...-downl-1195060

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      don't post from Kim Komandos blog. She is no computer expert. She was in sales and decided to move into blogging. Reading some of the stories on her site, I find misinformation (mostly overstated, to cause panic, with no actual details) and basically ripoffs from other news articles (er, "reposting")
      Specific examples, please, of "misinformation," and "reposting."

Find a better source, Truthseeker.
      Maybe the reason you didn't suggest a better site is that you really don't know what would be better than Kim's advice.

Kim is as bad as those TV Doctors I was complaining about, worse since she has no actual tech background other than as a computer saleswoman.
      I'm trying to remember the complaints about the TV doctors that I follow. Oh, there couldn't be any much since I usually don't follow them. I don't even follow Oz. Maybe I did cite a few TV doctors to support my claims in my posts, though I don't quite recall when and where.

Basically her show and site are still about selling. Various security apps, ads, random crap from her advertisers, etc.
      Are you married? If not, maybe you were a lousy seller of yourself. Phooey on you.

Her advice is at best generic and geared toward non-computer literate people who basically have to be told how to turn their computers on and off
      Oh, yeah! I forgot that her advice should be always specific and baffling to newbies! Actually she does often offer specific advice.

, and at worse it is misleading scare tactics designed to sell products from her website.
      Example, please, although I would indeed agree that she is aggressive.

Here are some ripoff reports about her site:
      http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kim-Ko...tionwide-27729
      You have to bear in mind that all too many people will make negative reports that are not really justifiable.

I looked at the linked report then did a search for more reports. I got a message saying like that there were no more reports. I do see that you linked to another ripoffreport report below.

Okay, is that all!? Given her wide readership, I am hardly amazed there are so many reports (just 2). And I do wonder how reliable ripoffreport.com is. Do you use it often, or did you notice those reports only recently when you did a search for negative reports of komando.com?

Skipped, see below.

I am angry! It seems that you didn't bother to check parts of the report. You could have tried to subscribe to one of her letters then unsubscribing. I think I took less than one minute (almost surely less than 2 minutes anyway) to unsubscribe Kim's Breaking News letter. I do wonder if the complaint report is bogus. One wrong with that is that you can choose which of Kim's many letters to subscribe to. I don't know what the complainer did, if he or she is not dishonest, but I'm quite sure you could have subscribed to just one letter out of those letters.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Kim Kommando is a running joke in the Security world, of which I am a fully certified member.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Kim Kommando is a running joke in the Security world, of which I am a fully certified member.
          For example?

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            Specific examples, please, of "misinformation," and "reposting."

Maybe the reason you didn't suggest a better site is that you really don't know what would be better than Kim's advice.
            I did provide better links to the same info in your other thread about superfish. Here I just wanted to also let you know that Kim K is unreliable and basically a computer columnist and not an expert.

I'm trying to remember the complaints about the TV doctors that I follow. Oh, there couldn't be any much since I usually don't follow them. I don't even follow Oz. Maybe I did cite a few TV doctors to support my claims in my posts, though I don't quite recall when and where.

Are you married? If not, maybe you were a lousy seller of yourself. Phooey on you.

Oh, yeah! I forgot that her advice should be always specific and baffling to newbies! Actually she does often offer specific advice.

Example, please, although I would indeed agree that she is aggressive.

You have to bear in mind that all too many people will make negative reports that are not really justifiable.

I looked at the linked report then did a search for more reports. I got a message saying like that there were no more reports. I do see that you linked to another ripoffreport report below.

Okay, is that all!? Given her wide readership, I am hardly amazed there are so many reports (just 2). And I do wonder how reliable ripoffreport.com is. Do you use it often, or did you notice those reports only recently when you did a search for negative reports of komando.com?

Skipped, see below.

I am angry! It seems that you didn't bother to check parts of the report. You could have tried to subscribe to one of her letters then unsubscribing. I think I took less than one minute (almost surely less than 2 minutes anyway) to unsubscribe Kim's Breaking News letter. I do wonder if the complaint report is bogus. One wrong with that is that you can choose which of Kim's many letters to subscribe to. I don't know what the complainer did, if he or she is not dishonest, but I'm quite sure you could have subscribed to just one letter out of those letters.
            Kim Komando is not a computer expert, who makes it her money from selling advertising and appearing on shows as a computer expert. That makes her a phoney. As phoney as your medical conspiracy sources. Like I said, at BEST she is just regurgitating news from other sources and adding in links to her advertised products. At worst, she is giving out bad advice altogether. I will give her the benefit of the doubt for now and say she is just basically regurgitating stuff from other sources. In either case, don't use her. Find some other source for the story, such at least PC magazine or CNet. Another good source it to go to the actual company or manufacturer (such as Lenovo in regards to your superfish thread) and check out what is going on there and what they are doing to solve it.

And when providing links to checking and cleaning tools, please don't use some obscure site like fillipio.io - there is no telling if someone is actually out to cause more harm than you may already have on your computer. If you want to be paranoid, be paranoid about that.

This is not just me telling you to stop. This is an official notice to stop using Komando and posting links to possibly insecure sites. You may post stories and articles from reliable news sources, but no links to software tools.
            Last edited by Sparko; 02-24-2015, 08:10 AM.

Comment

You still have not provided evidence that clearly shows Kim's lack of expertise. Not just one instance, but several. Even the greatest expert may err ever so often.

In any case, does anyone want to take my place? Sparko?

I did provide better links to the same info in your other thread about superfish. Here I just wanted to also let you know that Kim K is unreliable and basically a computer columnist and not an expert.

Kim Komando is not a computer expert, who makes it her money from selling advertising and appearing on shows as a computer expert. That makes her a phoney. As phoney as your medical conspiracy sources. Like I said, at BEST she is just regurgitating news from other sources and adding in links to her advertised products. At worst, she is giving out bad advice altogether. I will give her the benefit of the doubt for now and say she is just basically regurgitating stuff from other sources. In either case, don't use her. Find some other source for the story, such at least PC magazine or CNet. Another good source it to go to the actual company or manufacturer (such as Lenovo in regards to your superfish thread) and check out what is going on there and what they are doing to solve it.

And when providing links to checking and cleaning tools, please don't use some obscure site like fillipio.io - there is no telling if someone is actually out to cause more harm than you may already have on your computer. If you want to be paranoid, be paranoid about that.

This is not just me telling you to stop. This is an official notice to stop using Komando and posting links to possibly insecure sites. You may post stories and articles from reliable news sources, but no links to software tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                For example?
                Attend a Security Training event, like SANSFIRE and talk to people in the industry about her.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Attend a Security Training event, like SANSFIRE and talk to people in the industry about her.
                  Evidently now you are superior to me regarding computer security. Thus, you are far more qualified to run this thread than I am. That would have my blessing.

Comment

And when providing links to checking and cleaning tools, please don't use some obscure site like fillipio.io - there is no telling if someone is actually out to cause more harm than you may already have on your computer.
                    This is not an attempt to overcome Sparko's "official" policy, but after Sparko "moderated" my posts in this thread I saw another recommendation--not by Kim Komando--of fillipio.io
                    I am still concerned that Sparko cast light on Kim Komando that is too much negative. IOW he was not fair to her, I am afraid.

Comment

TS, if you have a problem with my official notice, take it to the padded room or PM.

Comment