Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Time to Clean Up eMail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Clean Up eMail!

At the end of every year, I take some time to clean up my email accounts --- get rid of some "throw away" accounts I had created, update my "rules" in Outlook for handling incoming emails, and unsubscribe to emails I don't want.

When unsubscribing -- BE CAREFUL, because some phishing scams exist where the "unsubscribe" is simply a routine to verify your email address as legitimate, then it can be sold to other marketers.

I ALWAYS have a "throw away" account for signing up for accounts, using alias emails.

FOR EXAMPLE, I use directv.myname@mydomain.com to sign into my DirecTV account -- that way, if I get OTHER emails to that address, I can pretty well figure out where they came from. My wife, for example, wanted to buy stuff from SammyDress.com, so I created an alias for that, and glad I did. After the initial purchase, we got SLAMMED with advertising from all kinds of asian and unknown marketers, and simply deleted that alias.

This morning, I had 3754 emails in my inbox --- now I have 13.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I do the same thing. I also use a fake name when filling out any online forms that include my address. Because eventually my address will be sent junk mail. It makes it a lot easier to sort when I see my fake name being used. Just toss it away.

Comment

also there are temporary email account services you can use. Like http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I do the same thing. I also use a fake name when filling out any online forms that include my address. Because eventually my address will be sent junk mail. It makes it a lot easier to sort when I see my fake name being used. Just toss it away.
        Yup... I use a different middle initial, or... yeah, snail mail, too.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh and my favorite tactic is that I use Rogue06's email address when I need a junk email address. Don't tell him.

Comment