Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Firefox incorporating ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox incorporating ads

Ugh.

This was announced about a year ago and it is not what it sounds like. It was supposed to put ads on the "new tabs" screen until you filled it up with your favorite sites.

Comment

With at least the last couple of versions or so, there's been an option turn off the new tabs window which replaces it with a blank window. I've done that in mine.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        This was announced about a year ago and it is not what it sounds like. It was supposed to put ads on the "new tabs" screen until you filled it up with your favorite sites.
        Apparently if you clear your history, the ads will reappear; at least there's the option to turn ads off totally. For now.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          Apparently if you clear your history, the ads will reappear; at least there's the option to turn ads off totally. For now.
          I clear my history all the time but never get ads. I do use a newtab addon that let's you customize your newtab tab.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I clear my history all the time but never get ads. I do use a newtab addon that let's you customize your newtab tab.
            yeah
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just use Pale Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                at least there's the option to turn ads off totally. For now.
                I do not find anything under options. How do I do this?
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  I did this....
                  http://smallbusiness.chron.com/block...fox-27987.html

Installed AdBlock Plus --- WOW, my main news sites and saved sites load MUCH faster, without flashing through all kinds of "contacting server" nonsense!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I did this....
                    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/block...fox-27987.html

Installed AdBlock Plus --- WOW, my main news sites and saved sites load MUCH faster, without flashing through all kinds of "contacting server" nonsense!
                    I just realized I'd forgotten to do this at work. Yahoo's front-page pops up like a jackrabbit now! It used to come up sometimes.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Firefox will provide users an option to disable the ads, by going into the gear icon in the upper right corner of the New Tab page, and clicking away from "Enhanced." The company said that the choice to bar ads won't affect the browsing experience.
                      Source.

Comment

Thanks.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

As good a reason as any (aside from the whole Brendan Eich fiasco) to use Pale Moon instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                            As good a reason as any (aside from the whole Brendan Eich fiasco) to use Pale Moon instead.
                            Really?
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

WebRTC. Apart from opening up a whole can of worms security/privacy-wise, "Web Real Time Chat" (comparable with Skype video calls and the likes) is not considered useful or desired functionality for Pale Moon (both according to the developers and the users of the browser at large). This is best left to dedicated programs or at most a browser plug-in.
                              Looks like the dev doesn't know what the newest web technologies are and doesn't understand them...
                              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              I support the :
                              sigpic

Comment