Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Ccleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like ccleaner. But it does leave a process running in your system tray, I guess to try to catch things as they happen. I usually stop it because it seems to slow down my machine a little. I just run the program once in a while after I have had some problems, or if I have recently uninstalled a bunch of stuff and want to make sure the registry is clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      AVG got tiresome (slowed things down, didn't seem to work as well) and I went back to Zone Alarm before my computer died of unnatural causes....

Shot it between the ports, did ya?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

AVG got tiresome (slowed things down, didn't seem to work as well) and I went back to Zone Alarm before my computer died of unnatural causes....

Isn't Zone Alarm a firewall? Although, you don't really need AV as long as you have common sense and run a anti-malware scan every few weeks.
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
          Isn't Zone Alarm a firewall? Although, you don't really need AV as long as you have common sense and run a anti-malware scan every few weeks.
          It comes in a whole suite - firewall and anti-virus. But yeah, originally, it was a firewall.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Of all the antivirus programs out there, which would be the best for a home office computer? Taking suggestions, sincere experienced recommendations.

Winner gets a bottle of internet pretend single malt Scotch.

sigpic
            "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
            Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Free or paid?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Sparrow View Post
                Of all the antivirus programs out there, which would be the best for a home office computer? Taking suggestions, sincere experienced recommendations.

Winner gets a bottle of internet pretend single malt Scotch.
                I would go with Avast antivirus.
                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

I just use microsoft's security essentials for my antivirus.

I use malwarebytes and superantispyware and ccleaner to get rid of adware and crap like that.

Comment

There's also a useful program called Sandboxie that runs all your programs in self contained sandboxes.
                    -Unknown

I support the :
                    sigpic

Comment

There's also a useful program called Sandboxie that runs all your programs in self contained sandboxes.
                      Which does what?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Which does what?
                        Sandboxes act as a protective barrier for your computer. If you run a malicious program by accident, it will be contained inside of the sandbox and unable to affect your system negatively.
                        -Unknown

I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

Sandboxes act as a protective barrier for your computer. If you run a malicious program by accident, it will be contained inside of the sandbox and unable to affect your system negatively.
                          Ah, that's what I thought...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Free or paid?
                            Free.

I would go with Avast antivirus.
                            Thank you. I've used the trial version of Avast before.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I use malwarebytes and superantispyware and ccleaner to get rid of adware and crap like that.
                            I have the Malwarebytes on my system now. And CCleaner I've used for years. Great program. I'll check out superantispyware. Microsoft Security Essentials has a good reputation? I know it's Microsoft, but I had to ask.

Never heard of it. Makes sense though. I'll check it out.

Thank you all for your help.

sigpic
                            Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I used to, but recently have been using Avast. The free version seems to do just fine.

Comment

Do you find Avast superior to MSE?

sigpic
                                Marcus Aurelius

Comment