Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

So who's gonna get an iPhone 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    I'll stick with my HTC One, thank you very much.
    You're Canadian, so you don't count.

Comment

Yeah, not so much.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I would if I wasn't poor.

Comment

This is my phone:

samsung-T301G-tracfone-hero.jpg

It's quite primitive (can't even run the preloaded Soudoku without freezing up), but it's CHEAP.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            It will be released in a couple of weeks and comes in two sizes: Bigger than the iPhone 5 and way bigger than the iPhone 5.

I am thinking of getting the giant version, since my eyes are not as good as they used to be when viewing stuff up close.

Here is a link to a template showing how big the new phones are:

http://lifehacker.com/see-which-ipho...rin-1632649966

I really don't like iPhone, never have. You have fixed memory which you can never upgrade, closeted source proprietary equipment even the dang charger, and almost all the apps cost money, there is pretty much no freeware. I'm an android guy through and through, plus there is a terminal emulator for android so you can access it's Linux based CLI. Oh and it takes a standard mini b charger.

Comment

Originally posted by That Geek 5410 View Post
              I really don't like iPhone, never have. You have fixed memory which you can never upgrade, closeted source proprietary equipment even the dang charger, and almost all the apps cost money, there is pretty much no freeware. I'm an android guy through and through, plus there is a terminal emulator for android so you can access it's Linux based CLI. Oh and it takes a standard mini b charger.
              Even worse than all that, you can't swap in a spare battery when needed.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

uh, I have all freeware on my iphone. In fact there is more freeware on the iphone than on android. I know. I have an android tablet and an iphone. You are right about the charger and memory, but even on the android when you expand the memory, it shows up as an external memory device and most of the time you can't store the apps on the external memory like you can the internal memory. Plus I have a 32GB iphone and have never even come close to using all of the memory up, even though I listen to audiobooks and have at least a dozen stored on my phone at a time, and use the camera extensively.

I do have an external battery pack for my phone that is basically a battery that you charge up and can recharge your phone (iphone or android) at least twice with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Well I have an iphone 5 for my phone. And an ASUS Transformer for my tablet (Android) - so I am in both worlds. I also have an iPad here at work.

here is what I have noticed comparing the two platforms:

Android phones - They never get updated (or hardly ever) so you are pretty much stuck with the version of Android you have when you bought the phone. Apple upgrades their OS regularly and you always have the latest OS and features.

Android tablets - they do update more often than the phones do, but I have noticed on my tablet that every time I update the OS, the durn thing gets slower and slower. My iPad and iPhone, on the other hand stay the same as far as speed goes, and many times get more efficient, the more I update the OS on them.

Both platforms have similar apps so that is a wash.
                  My daughter is an iPhone fan. However, twice after OS updates, she had to take her phone in and have it reset because it would lock up continuously...OS updates aren't always a plus...
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    My daughter is an iPhone fan. However, twice after OS updates, she had to take her phone in and have it reset because it would lock up continuously...OS updates aren't always a plus...
                    That is an undocumented feature to save on data costs.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      Even worse than all that, you can't swap in a spare battery when needed.
                      Well, you could but you need a spudge and a fine Philips head screwdriver. Then you have to navigate around wires that are so thin if you move them the wrong way or apply too much force they break as saying they are paper thin might be giving them too much credit.

Comment

uh, I have all freeware on my iphone. In fact there is more freeware on the iphone than on android. I know. I have an android tablet and an iphone. You are right about the charger and memory, but even on the android when you expand the memory, it shows up as an external memory device and most of the time you can't store the apps on the external memory like you can the internal memory. Plus I have a 32GB iphone and have never even come close to using all of the memory up, even though I listen to audiobooks and have at least a dozen stored on my phone at a time, and use the camera extensively.

I do have an external battery pack for my phone that is basically a battery that you charge up and can recharge your phone (iphone or android) at least twice with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        Perhaps there may be more freeware than when I last looked on iTunes however they are very restrictive on what types of apps you can author such as network stress testing tools, and last I checked no putty to I can remote into switch CLIs. Additionally for transferring apps to sd card go to your app manager and it will give you the option to transfer to sd. Speaking of sd cards phones are starting to support the really beefy sd cards like 128 gb.

Comment

Perhaps there may be more freeware than when I last looked on iTunes however they are very restrictive on what types of apps you can author such as network stress testing tools, and last I checked no putty to I can remote into switch CLIs.
                          Here is one I found in 30 seconds.

https://www.serverauditor.com/

Additionally for transferring apps to sd card go to your app manager and it will give you the option to transfer to sd.
                          It depends on the android device and how locked down it is. My ASUS transformer won't transfer apps to SD. My old Samsung Galaxy would.
                          My biggest problem is that every manufacturer customizes android for their particular device and then doesn't release new updates to the software very often. I had to wait 6 months for Android 4.1 to become available on my ASUS tablet. And Samsung never did release any updates for the galaxytab I had.

Speaking of sd cards phones are starting to support the really beefy sd cards like 128 gb.
                          that's nice.

Comment

Well, you could but you need a spudge and a fine Philips head screwdriver. Then you have to navigate around wires that are so thin if you move them the wrong way or apply too much force they break as saying they are paper thin might be giving them too much credit.
                            I'm not talking about replacing the battery when the original is old and worn out. I'm talking about the need of powrpower users and business travelers to quickly swap in at charged spare battery. I typically travel with two charged spares, and one might be a 2x battery because I can't afford to get caught without sufficient battery power. With the iPhone you have to carry around an external charger because they do not allow for convenience of spare batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              I'm not talking about replacing the battery when the original is old and worn out. I'm talking about the need of powrpower users and business travelers to quickly swap in at charged spare battery. I typically travel with two charged spares, and one might be a 2x battery because I can't afford to get caught without sufficient battery power. With the iPhone you have to carry around an external charger because they do not allow for convenience of spare batteries.

The battery pack I talked about above ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) works pretty good on my iphone.

Comment

The battery pack I talked about above ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) works pretty good on my iphone.
                                Sure, but it's an extra piece of gear that I'd rather not have to carry around at an all-day conference or while out entertaining clients after a day of meetings.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X