Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cutting the Cable --- or, um... Satellite!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Oh, you're in for it now!
    I remember a submarine movie starting Gene Hackman (?) where he seemed to support a laundry detergent called "Roll Tide" or something like that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

C'mere, you!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Heretic! Alabama/Auburn is the greatest rivalry in college football.

From an emotional perspective, some would also say that Michigan vs Ohio State is a bigger rivalry. But, objectively speaking, Notre Dame and Michigan are the #1 and #2 winningest teams in the history of college football, since the Michigan team taught some Notre Dame students the rules back in 1887.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I remember a submarine movie starting Gene Hackman (?) where he seemed to support a laundry detergent called "Roll Tide" or something like that.
          That movie was terrible.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I'm sure you were pleased about what you saw today.
            Sort of. I would have much rather watched the Steelers game instead of the usual in-market Hobson's choice of Baltimore or Washington. Both the in-market teams lost, which was at least mildly entertaining.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Wasn't it fun putting it together? It reminded me (somewhat) of my Erector Set days.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1948[/ATTACH]

I'll set it up and play with it tomorrow. Any tips? Did you just point it in the general direction of where you thought the broadcaster's antenna was?
              It was fun putting it together. It's not actually firmly mounted; I stuck it up in the closet on the top shelf, and let the TV do its auto-scan thing. It found CBS, but was getting a "no signal" when I switched to the channel. I then turned the antenna until I was able to get a good signal (which turned out to be 180 degrees from where I first positioned it). I should probably tighten everything down a bit; finger-tight was sufficient for the moment, though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                It was fun putting it together. It's not actually firmly mounted; I stuck it up in the closet on the top shelf, and let the TV do its auto-scan thing. It found CBS, but was getting a "no signal" when I switched to the channel. I then turned the antenna until I was able to get a good signal (which turned out to be 180 degrees from where I first positioned it). I should probably tighten everything down a bit; finger-tight was sufficient for the moment, though.
                This is FUN... just hung the antenna in the attic -- fairly tight, but loose enough that I can still play with direction, and on the FIRST SCAN I am getting NINETY EIGHT FREE channels! With the "flat" antenna I had originally bought from Walmart, I maxed out at 36. Of course, this is Texas, so pointing SSE, I'm probably getting a lot of Spanish language channels among them.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So I just ordered one for Spongebob, my grandson.
                  Are you going to let him play with it, too?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    Are you going to let him play with it, too?
                    I might get one for me, too, but I bought his "shipped to him" to resist the temptation of opening his.

(In my Amazon account, I have "alternate ship to" addresses for all my grandkids, daughters, Church, etc)

Comment

OK, this is cool --- since Houston has vibrant Korean and Vietnamese communities, it should be no surprise that there are several TV stations in each language. I can brush up on my Vietnamese!!!!!

Comment

This is FUN... just hung the antenna in the attic -- fairly tight, but loose enough that I can still play with direction, and on the FIRST SCAN I am getting NINETY EIGHT FREE channels! With the "flat" antenna I had originally bought from Walmart, I maxed out at 36. Of course, this is Texas, so pointing SSE, I'm probably getting a lot of Spanish language channels among them.
                        Yeah, I'm getting a bunch more channels that I'm never going to watch as well. The "flat" antenna will go to the church yard sale on Saturday.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Yeah, I'm getting a bunch more channels that I'm never going to watch as well. The "flat" antenna will go to the church yard sale on Saturday.
                          I'm going unshopping tomorrow --- saved the receipts for several iterations of "improvements", and will return the failures in new and resellable condition.

Comment

The Canadian government is looking at bringing in legislation that would allow cable customers to unbundle the packages they have and just pay for the channels they want.

The cable companies are pouting.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              The Canadian government is looking at bringing in legislation that would allow cable customers to unbundle the packages they have and just pay for the channels they want.

The cable companies are pouting.
                              Yeah, I HATE paying for a whole bunch of channels, MOST of which I care nothing for! So, I'm not gonna!!!!!

That's like "I'd like a glass of milk, please"... "ok, but you'll have to buy the whole cow".

Comment

Yeah, I HATE paying for a whole bunch of channels, MOST of which I care nothing for! So, I'm not gonna!!!!!

That's like "I'd like a glass of milk, please"... "ok, but you'll have to buy the whole cow".
                                Yup. We are getting a whack of sports channels and French channels and even Spanish ones that we never watch. As well as a bunch of music channels and shopping channels, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment