Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Boooo...Grrrrr.... I'm Taking Computer to Shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boooo...Grrrrr.... I'm Taking Computer to Shop!

I still can't get McAfee to complete installation on my desktop. It's been doing a couple of odd thing as well. I'd been putting it off but I will need to go online with it once in a while, and my laptop is ancient (2004, I think), off to the wizard I go. I'm thinking about then cancelling McAfee - it's been a real pain anyway - and finding a replacement.

Didn't I do a thread on that, though?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

I hate it that McAfee keeps trying to sneak into my Adobe updates --- you have to UNCHECK it not to have it. I've been using Avast on my non-mission critical computers, and it's been just fine.

I used to use TrendMicro, but it took over so much of my computer, and causes BSODs. I gave up on Symantec long ago because it is so controlling.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I use Avira
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

I use the free Symantec Endpoint Protection that the DOD gives to their people for home use. Free for life and free updates.

What OS are you using? Vista? Win 7?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's Vista. At one time in the past I did use Symantec. Can't remember why I quit using it.

Comment

CP, I don't think I knew that about the Adobe updates.

Comment

I've been using AVG Free on all my home pc's for several years with no issues. (and you can't beat the price...) Although, I try to run Malwarebytes every couple of months or so to keep it cleaned up...
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                It's Vista. At one time in the past I did use Symantec. Can't remember why I quit using it.
                McAfee installer no longer supports Vista. You need to upgrade your system at least to Win 7
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  McAfee installer no longer supports Vista. You need to upgrade your system at least to Win 7
                  Norton 360 works on Vista, it's what I currently have.

Comment

Aha. Duh. Ok.... I CAN upgrade to Win 7? Do I want to with a four year old machine?

Comment

I encourage everyone to get off of Vista. Software King has decent upgrade prices. If you can't afford a newer system, upgrade to 7 (64 bit if your system can handle it)
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Aha. Duh. Ok.... I CAN upgrade to Win 7? Do I want to with a four year old machine?
                        With a 4 year old machine, I'd suggest 8 with Classic Shell. boot times are FAR better than 7.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You know...I did have Norton once...and AVG....beginning to wonder if the problem can be on my end but don't see how. These programs practically run themselves.

If I recall rightly, I had the AVG on the Packard Bell, which was a mistake and a half to start with! Current machine is a Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            With a 4 year old machine, I'd suggest 8 with Classic Shell. boot times are FAR better than 7.
                            OK.

Comment

OK.
                              Do not pay retail for the license. Software King is a much better option. They have bulk licenses that they sell off individually with Microsoft's blessings. I upgraded my dad from Win 7 to Win 8 for about $75.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment