Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Complete reliance on Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete reliance on Google

I do remote tech support. One of the things I often have to do is direct people to an activation website. Before they activate their services, the only website that will work is the activation website.

It amazes me how many people do not know how to reach a website without going through Google. I can't tell you how many people do not know how to reach websites without going through Google. Sometimes I think that they're simply conflating Google with Google Chrome... but, no, they actually mean Google, and are genuinely at a loss as to how to log on to the website. And frequently it's younger people who grew up around this stuff.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Is it only a minority of the overall customers who have to get this much instruction on how to type in an URL to access the website?

The goal of Microsoft and others in the early years of the public introduction of the internet was to gain control of the access to the internet. It sounds like Google achieved this objective.

It is interesting to find out how people use these modern tools -- especially younger people who have grown up with these technologies. I would have thought the youth knew more, but it seems that they may just learn the easiest options to access the internet. This is scary in these days of the control/censorship of information.

Comment

I tried to respond the the OP, but I couldn't find it on google.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        Is it only a minority of the overall customers who have to get this much instruction on how to type in an URL to access the website?

The goal of Microsoft and others in the early years of the public introduction of the internet was to gain control of the access to the internet. It sounds like Google achieved this objective.

It is interesting to find out how people use these modern tools -- especially younger people who have grown up with these technologies. I would have thought the youth knew more, but it seems that they may just learn the easiest options to access the internet. This is scary in these days of the control/censorship of information.
        It is a minority, but it's common enough that it seems that Google is going the way of Xerox and Kleenex, where it becomes more widely used as a generic term than as a product name. Some people don't even know the latter two are trademarks.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment