Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 95 has 25th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 95 has 25th anniversary

Apparently, this past Monday was the 25th anniversary of when Windows 95 was officially launched and released. It's come a long way since then.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-in...of-windows-95/
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Wow time flies!
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

If memory serves me right, the second PC we got in early 1997 was our first experience with Windows 95. The first PC we had, a little more than 3 years before that (late 1993), came with MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 -- so at the time even Windows 95 was quite different from what we'd become accustomed to.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

I resisted Windows as long as I could, but clients were adopting it, so I, as consultant, got dragged into Windows kicking and screaming.

Gee, I miss DOS.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And we still get the BSOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            And we still get the BSOD.
            I haven't seen one of those in ages!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I resisted Windows as long as I could, but clients were adopting it, so I, as consultant, got dragged into Windows kicking and screaming.

Gee, I miss DOS.
              I hear you on that. None of the computers we have nowadays will natively run our older programs designed for DOS or Windows 3.1, or even some older 32-bit Windows.

That's why I love virtual machines, which will let me do just that.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                I hear you on that. None of the computers we have nowadays will natively run our older programs designed for DOS or Windows 3.1, or even some older 32-bit Windows.

That's why I love virtual machines, which will let me do just that.
                Yup, I had a couple of machine shops for clients that relied on punch tape to drive their plasma cutters for manufacturing large oilfield vessels. Their proprietary programs would not run on Windows, so I had to always find a way to "go back" to DOS and slow things down so their programs would run.

One of the companies would design their vessels, output them to punch tape, then hand carry the punch tape out to the shop to feed it into a punch tape reader....

They were AMAZED one day when I hooked up a serial cable from the output terminal to the cutting station to transmit the configuration file directly without punch tape.

(But I had made a LOT of money keeping those punch tape punchers and readers working! )

Comment

Remember when the US Navy had a --- I think it was a missile frigate --- that was run on Windows, and several times, the BSOD left the ship dead in the water?

Software glitches leave Navy Smart Ship dead in the water

Comment

Remember when the US Navy had a --- I think it was a missile frigate --- that was run on Windows, and several times, the BSOD left the ship dead in the water?

Software glitches leave Navy Smart Ship dead in the water
                    I vaguely remember that. Heard some discussion on the base. The embarrassing part of course was it happened on a well known ship.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yup, I had a couple of machine shops for clients that relied on punch tape to drive their plasma cutters for manufacturing large oilfield vessels. Their proprietary programs would not run on Windows, so I had to always find a way to "go back" to DOS and slow things down so their programs would run.

One of the companies would design their vessels, output them to punch tape, then hand carry the punch tape out to the shop to feed it into a punch tape reader....

They were AMAZED one day when I hooked up a serial cable from the output terminal to the cutting station to transmit the configuration file directly without punch tape.

(But I had made a LOT of money keeping those punch tape punchers and readers working! )
                      That's certainly a more practical reason to use an older OS than what I was thinking of, as I only had in mind being able to play older games.
                      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment