Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

First computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tharkun
    replied
    The first one I ever used was an Apple IIe in school (learning Turtle!); but the first one I owned was an Apple IIc. Got it for my 6th grade graduation. Pulled it out for my oldest son (now 14) a couple of years ago and it still works! He's even learned some Basic in it.

Leave a comment:

• Jesse
    replied
    My first computer was an Apple IIe. I remember booting it up like it was yesterday. The those nice loud screeches. Then the WHOOSH as it lights up.

snap20.jpg
    Last edited by Jesse; 07-02-2014, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• supton
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Don't feel bad - he probably can't dial a rotary phone anyway.
    I think I teased him about that, that same exact sentiment.

He promptly put a rotary app onto his smartphone.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Just keep pressing the holes where the numbers are. It may be a little loose but that's okay.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• supton
    replied
    I think dad had a RS TRS99, played with that as a kid. My first computer was a 386SX in college, wasn't long before it was swapped out for a 486.

Year or so ago I was in conversation at work with my geek coworker (he hacks his smartphone etc). He didn't have a clue what a 386 etc was! To be fair I haven't a clue about the latest machines either.
    Last edited by supton; 06-29-2014, 06:38 AM. Reason: Wrong computer model #

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    My first computer, or actually our family's first computer was an Amiga, but I can't remember which model. I used to play James Pond 2 on it.

Leave a comment:

• OldHat
    replied
    My first computer was a Gateway, which ran Windows 95 and most of the time I used to play free Mircosoft demos that came with it.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    This is funny:

Leave a comment:

replied
    Added note, I bought my TI-99/4 comparing it to the TSR-80, Apple and the Atari 400 & 800. The TI-99/4 had 10 place dispay accuracy as well as that kind of accuracy doing trig functions and log functions. That math capability is what sold me on the TI-99/4 Home Computer. I liked the Atari 800, but the TI won.

I hadn't seen any ad's for the TI-99/4 at the time.

But here is an old ad for it:

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    The very first computer I used was an Apple II (or Apple IIe, not sure) in school, but our very first home computer was a second-hand Commodore VIC-20. I have good memories of the latter, including memories of watching Mossy repeatedly killing off the character in Adventureland by waking up the large sleeping dragon with the evil-smelling mud. :D

[Edit: Found an ad. ^__^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9VU1aJvTI ]
    MelMak!

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Leave a comment: