Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

First computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I had a slide rule.
    I still do. Actually two, including a circular one.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      mossy's first real computer

And her neighbor showing how it worked

I know. I know. I'm always still in trouble again ain't I?
      You mean well.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        A ROUND one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542[/ATTACH]
        no mine was straight. like a strip of bacon.

Comment

And just think today you could run the Apollo mission using a TI-84 calculator
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            And just think today you could run the Apollo mission using a TI-84 calculator
            Not many calculators have altitude sensors though.

What was YOUR first computer?

Comment

I don't have a picture of it, but the first computer I ever used was a Commodore 64. Technically I didn't own it; my parents did. Come to think of it, I have never bought my own computer. My father works in IT, so I am well supplied with hardware other people have upgraded from. It's usually relatively recent stuff, too.
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I had a GE analog computer when I was about 14.

In late October of 1980 I bought my first digital Home Computer

While that image if not of my personal unit. I still have it. And the last time I used it (about 10 years ago or more) it still worked. It was serviced once by TI. Same case and serial number.
                Last edited by 37818; 05-30-2014, 09:24 PM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                  I don't have a picture of it, but the first computer I ever used was a Commodore 64. Technically I didn't own it; my parents did. Come to think of it, I have never bought my own computer. My father works in IT, so I am well supplied with hardware other people have upgraded from. It's usually relatively recent stuff, too.
                  I think that was the first one I had.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                    Here is an image:

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The very first computer I used was an Apple II (or Apple IIe, not sure) in school, but our very first home computer was a second-hand Commodore VIC-20. I have good memories of the latter, including memories of watching Mossy repeatedly killing off the character in Adventureland by waking up the large sleeping dragon with the evil-smelling mud. :D

[Edit: Found an ad. ^__^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9VU1aJvTI ]
                      Last edited by The Melody Maker; 06-04-2014, 11:54 AM.
                      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Here you go!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            The very first computer I used was an Apple II (or Apple IIe, not sure) in school, but our very first home computer was a second-hand Commodore VIC-20. I have good memories of the latter, including memories of watching Mossy repeatedly killing off the character in Adventureland by waking up the large sleeping dragon with the evil-smelling mud. :D

[Edit: Found an ad. ^__^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9VU1aJvTI ]
                            MelMak!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Added note, I bought my TI-99/4 comparing it to the TSR-80, Apple and the Atari 400 & 800. The TI-99/4 had 10 place dispay accuracy as well as that kind of accuracy doing trig functions and log functions. That math capability is what sold me on the TI-99/4 Home Computer. I liked the Atari 800, but the TI won.

I hadn't seen any ad's for the TI-99/4 at the time.

But here is an old ad for it:

Comment