Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Tweb is messing up!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Still can't see the last page on some threads. Even if I bump it
    yeah.

    Here is what I had to do. make a bump post. If that doesn't work, Switch thread display to "threaded mode"
    find the bump post, then try editing it, or deleting it, and submitting. That seems to reset the thread.

    someone is abusing our search engine with some sort of hack or script, which bogs down the database server and that seems to be what is causing the errors. Leonhard is investigating it.

    Comment


    • #77
      So are we ever going to ever fix the Search function because it is absolutely, totally, and utterly useless.

      I have not been able to find ANYTHING using it.

      I mentioned the problem in another thread:

      The topic came up again this morning in a thread and I spent nearly two hours vainly searching for something I posted a couple of times in Tweb's as well as Google's search engines. I put in key words that should have led to hits but not one did. Finally I switched over To Bing and found what I wanted in a couple of minutes.


      I put in words that before the switch would lead me right to it, like "Hodgkinson," "Kustoff" and "Ayyadurai" -- which always led me right to the post. Now? According to tweb, those words/names were never used.

      The same thing happened again last night but I just gave up in frustration.

      Today I was going to post some pix in the Meanwhile in Texas thread. Even after putting "Texas" in the search and clicking titles only, guess what thread doesn't exist according to the search engine

      Bluntly we might as well disable and remove the $#^@%# thing if this is what it is going to be like.

      Well, I guess I'll start sifting through forums again trying to find a thread that the search function should have linked to.

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        So are we ever going to ever fix the Search function because it is absolutely, totally, and utterly useless.

        I have not been able to find ANYTHING using it.

        I mentioned the problem in another thread:

        The topic came up again this morning in a thread and I spent nearly two hours vainly searching for something I posted a couple of times in Tweb's as well as Google's search engines. I put in key words that should have led to hits but not one did. Finally I switched over To Bing and found what I wanted in a couple of minutes.


        I put in words that before the switch would lead me right to it, like "Hodgkinson," "Kustoff" and "Ayyadurai" -- which always led me right to the post. Now? According to tweb, those words/names were never used.

        The same thing happened again last night but I just gave up in frustration.

        Today I was going to post some pix in the Meanwhile in Texas thread. Even after putting "Texas" in the search and clicking titles only, guess what thread doesn't exist according to the search engine

        Bluntly we might as well disable and remove the $#^@%# thing if this is what it is going to be like.

        Well, I guess I'll start sifting through forums again trying to find a thread that the search function should have linked to.
        Just tried to find my post on the types of "fact checking" used on Trump including the WaPo calling his obvious exaggeration that they had enough hamburgers that if stacked they would be a "mile" high a "lie."

        I put "hamburger" in the search (which is how I found it previously) and of course the search engine failed yet again.

        Turn the damn thing off rather than let people think they can use it for anything

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #79
          OK I am rebuilding the search index.

          Comment


          • #80
            Alright, try your searches now and see if they work

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Alright, try your searches now and see if they work
              Nope.

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Nope.
                I blame the Mandela Effect.

                Your threads do not exist in this reality.

                Comment


                • #83
                  I tried to Edit a post, and got slapped with this: "You are not authorized to update this post."

                  It allowed me to Edit, but when I tried to Save, it defied me.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                  Beige Nationalist.

                  "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                  Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                    I blame the Mandela Effect.

                    Your threads do not exist in this reality.
                    If I dig long enough I tend to find them but it is something I shouldn't have to do.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      I tried to Edit a post, and got slapped with this: "You are not authorized to update this post."

                      It allowed me to Edit, but when I tried to Save, it defied me.
                      Make a post then try to edit it right away in this thread and let me know what happens.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                        Make a post then try to edit it right away in this thread and let me know what happens.
                        testing

                        testing edting
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                        Beige Nationalist.

                        "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                        Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Ok, that worked.

                          In the thread where it didn't work, the attempted edit was roughly 30 minutes later. I don't think it was more than that. I made the original post, got to the end of the thread, tried to edit the post and was denied.

                          ETA: I notice in the above post, it does not even note that I edited it.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                          Beige Nationalist.

                          "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                          Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            If you edit within a very short time, it won't add the "edited by" bit at the end.

                            I'm thinking you might have clicked edit within the allowed time, but by the time you were done and clicked "save", the time to edit had expired.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                              If you edit within a very short time, it won't add the "edited by" bit at the end.

                              I'm thinking you might have clicked edit within the allowed time, but by the time you were done and clicked "save", the time to edit had expired.
                              That must have been it -- soon enough that the Edit button was still present, but by the time I tried to post the revisions, not possible to Save them.

                              So what is the "window," thirty minutes?
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                              Beige Nationalist.

                              "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                              Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

                                That must have been it -- soon enough that the Edit button was still present, but by the time I tried to post the revisions, not possible to Save them.

                                So what is the "window," thirty minutes?
                                Probably. I think in the past it has been as long as 45 minutes. Sparko will have to confirm what it's currently set to.
                                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by DesertBerean, Yesterday, 06:13 PM
                                2 responses
                                14 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DesertBerean  
                                Started by Christianbookworm, 07-27-2020, 04:14 PM
                                125 responses
                                4,582 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post mossrose  
                                Working...
                                X