Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

DuckDuckGo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DuckDuckGo

I started using DuckDuckGo about 6 months ago after getting absolutely fed up with Google's "analytics".

I would search for a "green" lawnmower, for example, then even in Amazon, I'd see all kinds of "sponsored" links for "green" lawnmowers.

I think I even mentioned a hammock to my wife out by the pool, and the next day "hammock" showed up in all my searches*.

Since I've been using DuckDuckGo, I RARELY get any of that annoying "sponsored" content, and I am assured that my searches are much more private, including my personal information, location, trends, etc...

I'm hardily recommending DuckDuckGo as an alternative to Google, for many reasons.

You deserve privacy. Companies are making money off of your private information online without your consent.

At DuckDuckGo, we don’t think the Internet should feel so creepy and getting the privacy you deserve online should be as simple as closing the blinds.

(I even heard one of the Republicans during the Impeachment Farce recommend.... "Just Google -- I mean DuckDuckGo -- and you'll see for yourself". )

*ok, slight exaggeration, but you get it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Any time I have any trouble searching for something, especially if it is political or cultural, I go to them and more often than not what I'm looking for is on the first page.

Still, I have a few issues with how they run. For instance, I really would prefer that it opens up a new page when I click on a link. And it's most little things like that but they tend to add up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Any time I have any trouble searching for something, especially if it is political or cultural, I go to them and more often than not what I'm looking for is on the first page.

Still, I have a few issues with how they run. For instance, I really would prefer that it opens up a new page when I click on a link. And it's most little things like that but they tend to add up.
      Yeah, there are other quirks, like -- I like how Google identifies "3 days ago" or "5 minutes ago" so you don't have to click on the article to see how current it is.

But DDG doesn't do all the slight of hand at "optimizing" your search results so you get the liberal slant.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Right about everything.

I search a passage on Romans and I start getting toga ads and ads for race chariots.

I've been using DDG for most of searches since Teal mentioned about it years ago. No more toga ads.

Another option is startpage.com, but I haven't been using this, beyond doing a few searches to try it out.

Comment

I searched for tires (probably on yahoo) a couple years ago. I kept on seeing ads for tires after that. I don't think they realized i only needed one set.

I guess it would have helped to search for flowers or chocolate so that different ads would come up. maybe search for straightjackets

Comment

Privacy Badger

It's put out by EFF: "The leading nonprofit defending digital privacy, free speech, and innovation."
            How does Privacy Badger work?

When you view a webpage, that page will often be made up of content from many different sources. (For example, a news webpage might load the actual article from the news company, ads from an ad company, and the comments section from a different company that's been contracted out to provide that service.) Privacy Badger keeps track of all of this. If as you browse the web, the same source seems to be tracking your browser across different websites, then Privacy Badger springs into action, telling your browser not to load any more content from that source. And when your browser stops loading content from a source, that source can no longer track you. Voila!

2019-11-22_19-10-37.jpg

^ image captured and saved using a Snagit hotkey, speaking o' which ...

Snagit Upgrade.jpg

You're another Snagit junky.

Is this a good deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I started using DuckDuckGo about 6 months ago after getting absolutely fed up with Google's "analytics".

I would search for a "green" lawnmower, for example, then even in Amazon, I'd see all kinds of "sponsored" links for "green" lawnmowers.

I think I even mentioned a hammock to my wife out by the pool, and the next day "hammock" showed up in all my searches*.

Since I've been using DuckDuckGo, I RARELY get any of that annoying "sponsored" content, and I am assured that my searches are much more private, including my personal information, location, trends, etc...

I'm hardily recommending DuckDuckGo as an alternative to Google, for many reasons.

You deserve privacy. Companies are making money off of your private information online without your consent.

At DuckDuckGo, we don’t think the Internet should feel so creepy and getting the privacy you deserve online should be as simple as closing the blinds.

(I even heard one of the Republicans during the Impeachment Farce recommend.... "Just Google -- I mean DuckDuckGo -- and you'll see for yourself". )

*ok, slight exaggeration, but you get it.
              Here's the one that freaks me out: I use Chrome as my dedicated Facebook browser. I occasionally open other sites in it, but the vast majority of my non-Facebook browsing, and ALL searching and shopping, takes place in Pale Moon.

And yet somehow, things that I search for or shop for in Pale Moon almost instantly show up in my Facebook feed in Chrome.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                Here's the one that freaks me out: I use Chrome as my dedicated Facebook browser. I occasionally open other sites in it, but the vast majority of my non-Facebook browsing, and ALL searching and shopping, takes place in Pale Moon.

And yet somehow, things that I search for or shop for in Pale Moon almost instantly show up in my Facebook feed in Chrome.
                I think the ads would track the IPs and be able to see that the same IP is used across different browsers. Once the ad detects the two browsers using the same IP (at the same time), then cookies can be left which say that both browsers are probably used by the same person.

I've seen some articles that suggest that Google Chrome does extra checking for private information. I'm not sure what they would gather, but Chrome could access lots of stuff on one's computer. With software programs, we are trusting our private information to that company -- or hoping they don't try to gather anything.

Comment

I have been trying to reach you about your car’s extended warranty...

Comment

No. None of that.
                    sigpic

Comment