Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Ethernet to Wifi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I think mine is both receiver and transmitter. Like a repeater. You just put it within range of your regular wifi and it extends the range in places that can't get the signal or its too weak.

I think this is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Exten...gateway&sr=8-3
    Yeah, I like to keep things wired, when I can, because it's just more secure. Sometimes, though, wireless is the only practical option.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, I like to keep things wired, when I can, because it's just more secure. Sometimes, though, wireless is the only practical option.
      Just name your wifi "FBI-Srvl01" or similar. Then people will be too afraid to try to hack it.

Comment

Just name your wifi "FBI-Srvl01" or similar. Then people will be too afraid to try to hack it.
        Except for that one geeky rebel down the street...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Except for that one geeky rebel down the street...
          That is why my password is impossible to guess: password1

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            No, I can't do that.
            It would involve a ladder - assuming there were a port which I'm pretty sure there isn't (cable company's router, not mine) - and I can barely get up and down stairs. So, no, cable isn't an option and even if it were, I don't want any new wires hanging from the ceiling.
            I've never heard of a router without an Ethernet port. Is this some newfangled configuration?
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              I've never heard of a router without an Ethernet port. Is this some newfangled configuration?
              Nor of anyone putting the modem/router in the ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                Most cable modems or routers have 4 ports for local internet and one for your incoming broadband. There are some that do NOT have ethernet ports, if they are intended for wifi only, but those are usually commercial or proprietary.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nor of anyone putting the modem/router in the ceiling.
                  I've done that in commercial buildings where the ceiling is part and parcel of the return air - otherwise, it's way too hot and humid for electronic equipment.

Comment

I've done that in commercial buildings where the ceiling is part and parcel of the return air - otherwise, it's way too hot and humid for electronic equipment.
                    yeah plus you need to be able to get to it to reset it once in a while. I think Teal is thinking of the cable splitter or something.

Comment

Most cable modems or routers have 4 ports for local internet and one for your incoming broadband. There are some that do NOT have ethernet ports, if they are intended for wifi only, but those are usually commercial or proprietary.
                      It's the internet company's router, not mine.

And it's not in the ceiling - but I can't have cords on the floor and the router is on the wrong side of the walkway - therefore, any cables would have to go up and over.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

yeah plus you need to be able to get to it to reset it once in a while. I think Teal is thinking of the cable splitter or something.
                        NO, she just doesn't want to trip on cords that would have to be on the floor if not run through the ceiling.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That's another reason why some routers/modems don't have ethernet ports --- especially if it's intended as a guest network (like hotels, convention centers, etc) they don't want anybody to be able to plug directly into it, bypassing the username/password function. And, in many of those cases, those units actually are up in the ceiling or crawl space or otherwise hidden.

Comment

I have a lady friend who has... um... DirecTV, I think. Some company that colludes with AT&T.

I believe her router is mounted near the ceiling in the basement. I recall being spooked by the green lights one time when I was down there.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

So. I got the little USB thingie and a friend's kids tried it out. They said Firefox would open but not load.

The office is buried in boxes heading for storage - once I dig the computer out I'll try it out myself.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment