Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 7 end-of-support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Y'all are old!
    You'll get there young'un. It happens FAST...

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    down tootin', darn tootin', durn tootin'.

It all makes no never mind when you're an old fart.

Now...

GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!1!

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Y'all are old!
    Darn tootin'!"

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Y'all are old!
    Yer down tootin' Little Miss Smarty Pants.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    My Mom gave me a Radio Shack 16 bit toy for Christmas in 1985, I think. She thought it would help in college - even bought the data recorder to store my programs. I did a few in BASIC - she'd spent all that money - but that was about it.
    Yeah... I never really went anywhere with programming. I *had* to do some in college, in FORTRAN, and was not good at it. I did write a couple of programs on my HP-41-CV calculator that came in handy. That thing was SO useful. It died just a few years ago. Sad.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Y'all are old!

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    My Mom gave me a Radio Shack 16 bit toy for Christmas in 1985, I think. She thought it would help in college - even bought the data recorder to store my programs. I did a few in BASIC - she'd spent all that money - but that was about it.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    The first few diddly programs I wrote were in BASIC on a Sinclair ZX-81. I don't even remember how they were stored. I also wrote some kind of dopey BASIC programs on my then-girlfriends Radio Shack pocket computer.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    When I was a kid, we used 5.25" floppies... and we liked it! Our computer had no hard drive and no GUI (Commodore 64).
    The first program I ever wrote (BASIC) and saved was on a cassette tape recorder attached to a Commodore 64.

c64tr.jpg

Only mine was just a cheap Radio Shack cassette recorder, if I recall.

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    When I was a kid, we used 5.25" floppies... and we liked it! Our computer had no hard drive and no GUI (Commodore 64).

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    It almost looks like a Tandy! And I didn't know until now that floppy disks were ever bigger than 5.25".
    I still have some of those 8" floppies. They were pretty much the standard from 1971-1977, then came the 5 1/4" floppies (single sided single density, up through double sided double density), then 3 1/2" in the early 80's.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    At one point in my career, I worked for Lanier Business Products and serviced the "No Problem Typewriter".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40318[/ATTACH]

It used two 8" floppy drives - one for your program, and one for your data. And it took up about half your desk.
    It almost looks like a Tandy! And I didn't know until now that floppy disks were ever bigger than 5.25".

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    In 1975, just before my Mom retired, the attorney she worked for bought a word processor. She had to go in for training, but she loved it.

It was bigger than a Selectric II and took up most of the desk.
    At one point in my career, I worked for Lanier Business Products and serviced the "No Problem Typewriter".

lanier.jpg

It used two 8" floppy drives - one for your program, and one for your data. And it took up about half your desk.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Neither of us were teens during any part of the 80s.

I do remember going to where my father worked back in the early 70s where they had the computer room in which some giant monstrosity used punch cards.
    In 1975, just before my Mom retired, the attorney she worked for bought a word processor. She had to go in for training, but she loved it.

It was bigger than a Selectric II and took up most of the desk.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The original was considerably more grainy.
    Yeah, and at 300 baud over a noisy country phone line, it was like each line was "written" to the screen a line at a time.

Leave a comment: