Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cell Phone Nuisance Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I have Verizon and apparently they don't have a comparable app... I get about 5 - 10 robocalls a day
    I have verizon. I use an app called Hiya, which is free unless you want to pay for extras. It does a decent job of blocking spam

https://hiya.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I have verizon. I use an app called Hiya, which is free unless you want to pay for extras. It does a decent job of blocking spam

https://hiya.com/
      The AT&T app is made by Hiya.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The AT&T app is made by Hiya.
        i had to go into my phone settings and give permission for hiya to block calls. And I set all of the various parameters to aggressively block the calls. It maintains a list of spam numbers that I told it to block, and it can block neighborhood scam calls (same prefix) or just notify you as potential scam. I told it to block because I don't know anyone else with my particular prefix. I let it scan my contacts list to get a list of numbers to always let through.

Comment

i had to go into my phone settings and give permission for hiya to block calls. And I set all of the various parameters to aggressively block the calls. It maintains a list of spam numbers that I told it to block, and it can block neighborhood scam calls (same prefix) or just notify you as potential scam. I told it to block because I don't know anyone else with my particular prefix. I let it scan my contacts list to get a list of numbers to always let through.
          Awesome! Thanks! I'll check that out!
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Just got notified by AT&T that Mobile Security is now added FREE for your devices...

phone security.jpg
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I subscribed to the "Do not call" registry, though some telemarketers seem to disregard that! But it did help...

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                I subscribed to the "Do not call" registry, though some telemarketers seem to disregard that! But it did help...

Blessings,
                Lee

Yes, anybody who had not done that needs to do it.... but be sure to use the correct URL - there are some scam sites out there.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Comment

Yeah, I registered my cell on the Do Not Call registry but it doesn't seem to help in my case...
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Yeah, I registered my cell on the Do Not Call registry but it doesn't seem to help in my case...
                    I registered my cell way back when that first became an option, then renewed it after 5 years (which was required at that time), but, yeah, didn't seem to help much. I think it's way too easy for scammers to get burn phones or blocks of cell phone numbers, then discard them and go for another round.

On the bit where the call appears to come from your own area code and exchange, if you ever tried to return that call (DO NOT) you will probably see the phone number appear as 111111111 or some such. In that case, they simply managed to 'spoof' the caller ID, but in many cases, the Call Protect App still identifies them as "Telemarketer".

I have to wonder how successful it can be for them to harass people like that then trick them into buying something to make it worthwhile --- apparently, there are quite a number of dupes on the planet. (There's a fool born every minute?)

Comment

I registered my cell way back when that first became an option, then renewed it after 5 years (which was required at that time), but, yeah, didn't seem to help much. I think it's way too easy for scammers to get burn phones or blocks of cell phone numbers, then discard them and go for another round.

On the bit where the call appears to come from your own area code and exchange, if you ever tried to return that call (DO NOT) you will probably see the phone number appear as 111111111 or some such. In that case, they simply managed to 'spoof' the caller ID, but in many cases, the Call Protect App still identifies them as "Telemarketer".

I have to wonder how successful it can be for them to harass people like that then trick them into buying something to make it worthwhile --- apparently, there are quite a number of dupes on the planet. (There's a fool born every minute?)
                      You can report any telemarketers who call you after you are on the do not call list here:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Of course with the call spoofing I have no idea how much good it will do, unless they can check with the phone company records and get the real number somehow. If they catch a violation they are charged a $10K fine for each call.

I have no idea why phone companies even allow call spoofing. They have to know where the call is originating in order to even complete the call. So they know the real number but allow the caller to spoof the Caller ID display. I think the government should sue the phone companies to make them stop that.

Comment

Yes, anybody who had not done that needs to do it.... but be sure to use the correct URL - there are some scam sites out there.

https://www.donotcall.gov/
                        I've been registered since June 29, 2003 but still get at least a couple calls every day.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You can report any telemarketers who call you after you are on the do not call list here:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Of course with the call spoofing I have no idea how much good it will do, unless they can check with the phone company records and get the real number somehow. If they catch a violation they are charged a $10K fine for each call.

I have no idea why phone companies even allow call spoofing. They have to know where the call is originating in order to even complete the call. So they know the real number but allow the caller to spoof the Caller ID display. I think the government should sue the phone companies to make them stop that.
                          I know for a fact that my Magic Jack phone numbers can be set up with my own Caller ID, so I could call your phone and have it show up as "Sparko Answer" or whatever I want! I'm sure there are other phone apps that can do likewise.

Comment

I downloaded and installed Hiya per Sparko's recommendation. So far (been less that 24 hours) not a single spam call...fingers crossed.

Comment

I downloaded and installed Hiya per Sparko's recommendation. So far (been less that 24 hours) not a single spam call...fingers crossed.
                              They seem to come in spurts. Some days nothing and then bam! 6 or 7 in an hour. Hiya seems to block most of them as long as you have it set to do so, otherwise it lets them through with a warning that it could be spam

Comment

So, I was getting a BUNCH of scam calls (I've had this same number since Moses was a boy scout) and even though they get identified as spam, they still show up on my phone.

Just for grins, I decided to try a free month of the $3.99 service (upsell on the free app Call Protect) and it gives you greater control - it can automatically route unknown calls, or suspected spam calls, to voicemail.

Just a little bit ago, I got....

2019-03-19 12.36.13.jpg

and I never heard a thing. Those ones were auto-blocked - a few others were sent directly to voice mail hail.

Comment