Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What do you think the best programming language is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    I bet Pascal is the best.
    Don't you mean ...

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    I'd wager that Pascal is the best.
    Yeah, that.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Two words: For Tran
    One word after the white space gets removed by the compiler.

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    On my job, I use Visual Basic and it does everything I need it to do.
    That explains a lot.

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Me too. Plus COBOL. (scare anyone?)
    That explains even more.

Comment

*reaches deep into AI history

SNOBOL and LISP

I taught 'em both.

Go ahead, all y'all greybeard geeks. Top that.

Comment

Can you code using only binary?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          *reaches deep into AI history

SNOBOL and LISP

I taught 'em both.

Go ahead, all y'all greybeard geeks. Top that.
          LISP, I remember, SNOBOL hasn't been seen in many years in Texas -- perhaps back to the last ice age.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Heuristically programmed algorithmic computers
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Can you code using only binary?
              Sure...if you're willing to do:0010001000101001001001010 all the time.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Is LISP still used by AI people? If not what's their leading preference? Whatever that is, assuming they are not too dumb, it's probably the best for their job.

What about SQL?

Hey, what about Squid for a programming language?

Maybe Christianbookworm was twitting my fondness for assembly.
                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  Don't you mean ...

Yeah, that.
                  Thank you. I was beginning to wonder how many times I would have to repeat that!
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

My favourite programming language is Conway's life. I call it a programming language because it is Turing complete; so in principle it can be used to program any algorithm. In practice it is just about impossible to use. Here is a working universal turing machine coded using Conway's life: A Universal Turing Machine (UTM) implemented in Conway's Game of Life.

The link shows a working universal turing machine, which means that you can represent algorithm as a turing machine coded into the "tape" of the UTM. This is then the program. The link shows the UTM, along with a simple turing machine encoded onto the tape.

I use "favourite" here as a synonym for "mind blowing", not "useful".

Comment

I also cut my teeth on Fortran and Cobol. It's hard to cut a tooth, but Fortran and Cobol can do it.
                      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

BASIC is my personal favorite, because I grew up using it. Even now, I like using Visual Basic 6 best for most intents and purposes. I do recognize, though, that different languages can be used for different purposes so I'm not in a position to say that any one is better than another. :) (Of the options on the poll, though, I've also had some experience in C/C++, HTML, PHP and JavaScript. ^_^ )
                        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Did anybody else write batch files using Norton's Batch File Enhancer?

I wrote some pretty spiffy batch files using that!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Forth. Assembly language. Basic. Forth because it is bottom up programming. I personally program using Qbasic. It is easy to use.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Versions of VB up to VB6 were nice since the application could be brought up pretty quickly and look like a windows program.

I do like VB.NET (working with VS 2010 version) especially for the features for parsing XML files. The XML Literals in VB.NET is easier than using JQuery -- of course these are for different tasks -- but the leverage gained by XML Literals and Jquery are similar.

@CP: I ended up doing some image manipulations using good old batch files. This worked out better than other things I had tried.

Forth is interesting with the combination of interpreter and compiler within the same environment. Also, there is an efficiency in that the same functions used for the forth environment are available for the programmer to use.

Comment