Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Error 1058

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error 1058

My laptop pooped itself last night.

Since then, when I try to run certain programs, I get this:

"ShellExecuteEx failed

Code 1058

Service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I Googled and found this MS page.

In theory, this part applies to my system:

Error 1058 is displayed when a service suddenly stops

This article provides a solution to an issue where "Error 1058" occurs when a service suddenly stops.

Applies to: Windows 10 - all editions, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
    Original KB number: 241584
    Symptoms

When a service suddenly stops, you may receive the following error message:
    Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

You may also receive this error message when you try to start a service.
    Cause

This issue can occur if the service is disabled or if the service is disabled for the hardware profile that you're currently using.
    Resolution for Windows 10, Windows 7 and Windows Vista
    1. Click Start, search for Services, and then click Services in the search result.
    2. Scroll until you find the service, and then double-click the service.

3. If the service is disabled, click the Startup type list, and then select an option other than Disabled.
    4. Click Apply.
    5. Click Start to try to start the service.
    6. Click OK.

Sadly this does not work. When I attempt to follow the instructions, I get three different icons labeled "Services," and clicking on any of them *also* gives the same 1058 error.

Any other ideas how to de-bone this turkey?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

I am definitely not a pc/Windows expert. But IMO ....

It doesn't look like you can do much in the way of diagnostics to narrow down the problem. Sounds like your operating system is glitched. If possible, I'd reinstall Windows (I assume you are running 10).

Comment

My paranoid concern is that Microsoft is going to force users to go to Win 11 by glitching Win 10 through its upgrades, and then we'll start experiencing problems such as this. I don't Win 11 because I understand it better enables Microsoft to monitor your pc activities, and there's already enough spying going on.

Comment

When you search for services in the task bar, look for the one that has two gear icons.

services.jpg

The problem will be finding which service needs starting. Not all services on the list will be running, some only run when they need to.

One thing you can try is to run the system file checker to see if it can repair any corrupted system files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-966e85d4094e

Comment

Run the following command from an admin command prompt window:

SFC /SCANNOW

reboot your computer then run this one from an admin command prompt window:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

reboot your computer

Both take some time to finish and both will probably error because of customizations to the OEM image. But that fixes quite a number of Windows weirdness.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Run the following command from an admin command prompt window:

SFC /SCANNOW

reboot your computer then run this one from an admin command prompt window:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

reboot your computer

Both take some time to finish and both will probably error because of customizations to the OEM image. But that fixes quite a number of Windows weirdness.
            Finally getting back to this. I hadn't tried it for fear of totally bricking it. I've since been gifted a refurb Win 11 lappie. Satisfied that I've transferred everything vital, I was ready to give this a shot. Unfortunately, but really not shockingly, I get the same "Service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it" message when I try to run CMD as admin.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

So anyway, I wiped the drive and installed Linux Mint. Easy Peasy. Not suitable as a primary system, but fine as an emergency back-up system.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                So anyway, I wiped the drive and installed Linux Mint. Easy Peasy. Not suitable as a primary system, but fine as an emergency back-up system.
                I did that with one of my old windows laptops. I installed Ubuntu Linux though. Even though the laptop is like 15 years old, it runs pretty nicely under Linux. It came with Windows Vista, but I tried installing Windows 10 on it, and it ran pretty sluggishly under that.

Comment