Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

So, I did a thing.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So, I did a thing.

    Don't laugh.

    Remember I wanted to do video editing so I bought that computer? I'd always had trouble using Gimp to the point that I rarely bothered. but I found Krita and actually started making some progress - a few dozen videos helped, too. Animation is still kinda kicking my backside but I have been trying.

    Anywho, my blog is now a year and a half old. My podcast is a year old. It was past time to get the video stuff started. I thought for a while I wasn't going to make my deadline - animation is probably easy to someone, but that someone ain't me - then I found a video that pushed me toward a video editor instead for the silly version I was doing. Voila! I had the first one done in less than two hours (not counting all the prep work in Krita). It's horrible and silly, but...

    Today I did a thing. I made my very first video and published it.

    At least wait until I get out the door before you laugh!



    Yeah, yeah, tomorrow I'll work on the channel...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

    Quill Sword

  • #2
    Um, your video is listed as "for kids". While it is like that comments will be disabled, and your video won't be promoted hardly at all to the intended audience. You might want to change that under the content settings.

    Comment


    • #3
      When you said "did a thing" I thought you were referring to the Constitution (ala Biden).

      I mostly enjoyed the bird signs. Personally, I'm really bad with commentary videos. My bro is retired and watches them all day, but I always feel the need to push them along and keep speeding them up, until I get to 2X speed and can't understand much of it anymore. But I think it's a good first attempt.
      "You should just assume going forward that if I am ever wrong it is a typo" - Backup
      "
      Reality simply does not change based upon consensus or desire." - rogue

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Um, your video is listed as "for kids". While it is like that comments will be disabled, and your video won't be promoted hardly at all to the intended audience. You might want to change that under the content settings.
        Oops - thanks for the catch! I'll fix it.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

        My Personal Blog

        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

        Quill Sword

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          When you said "did a thing" I thought you were referring to the Constitution (ala Biden).

          I mostly enjoyed the bird signs. Personally, I'm really bad with commentary videos. My bro is retired and watches them all day, but I always feel the need to push them along and keep speeding them up, until I get to 2X speed and can't understand much of it anymore. But I think it's a good first attempt.
          I'm just happy someone noticed! Thank you!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

          "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

          My Personal Blog

          My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

          Quill Sword

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

            I'm just happy someone noticed! Thank you!
            I noticed, but I was waiting until watching all of it until giving any kind of opinion of criticism. The eagle is pretty funny, but I do think you might be better off with your own hand drawn design if you are going to be using stills like that. It will make it a bit easier to tweak things exactly how you want, and changing the text on the "shirt" might be easier too. I need to rewatch it and listen to the arguments again though for any input there.

            Comment


            • #7
              I am planning on using drawings in the future but the learning curve on a tablet was a little too steep while also learning Krita. I am using pre-created character files and backdrops so I don't start from scratch each week.

              Thank you!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

              "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

              My Personal Blog

              My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

              Quill Sword

              Comment


              • #8
                Nice job.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  I am planning on using drawings in the future but the learning curve on a tablet was a little too steep while also learning Krita. I am using pre-created character files and backdrops so I don't start from scratch each week.

                  Thank you!
                  I don't know anything about Krita, but I can understand the overload of trying to learn all of that at once. Generally there are a lot of tutorial videos available on YouTube for nearly everything, so you should be able to find information there to help learn both how to draw on your tablet, and how to use Krita more effectively. Some low level background music might also be good. YouTube has some free* to use music and sound effects, and there is stuff you can use from incompetech.com as long as you give attribution. I think the guy's name is Kevin Macleod.

                  *Make sure you check the license type. Some require attribution in the video description.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    So, I did a thing.
                    Me too. Last Friday. But nothing to do with computers and you can laugh.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Nice job.
                      Thank you!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                      "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                      My Personal Blog

                      My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                      Quill Sword

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

                        I don't know anything about Krita, but I can understand the overload of trying to learn all of that at once. Generally there are a lot of tutorial videos available on YouTube for nearly everything, so you should be able to find information there to help learn both how to draw on your tablet, and how to use Krita more effectively. Some low level background music might also be good. YouTube has some free* to use music and sound effects, and there is stuff you can use from incompetech.com as long as you give attribution. I think the guy's name is Kevin Macleod.

                        *Make sure you check the license type. Some require attribution in the video description.
                        Thank you! I'll check it out!

                        And figure out how to add music... More videos to watch!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                        My Personal Blog

                        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                        Quill Sword

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

                          Thank you! I'll check it out!

                          And figure out how to add music... More videos to watch!
                          It's generally not difficult. Download the file for it, and then uploading it should work pretty much the same as uploading your voice recordings.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

                            It's generally not difficult. Download the file for it, and then uploading it should work pretty much the same as uploading your voice recordings.
                            I thought you meant adding a second audio file to the video?
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                            "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                            My Personal Blog

                            My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                            Quill Sword

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Did it again!


                              This month I'm just going to do Wednesday's blog and in pretty much the same format. it gives me a chance to get used to the various sites and programs as well as time to build up the assorted cards and graphics. I'll start experimenting with some stuff and plan to work on hand drawn animation as well. I hope to both move up production and make the animation more animated next month. We'll see - I also need to write outlines for three books, finish an ebook and do a BUNCH of behind the scenes things.


                              Thanks!
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                              "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                              My Personal Blog

                              My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                              Quill Sword

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X