Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Crypto.com mistakenly sent a customer $10M (AUD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crypto.com mistakenly sent a customer $10M (AUD)

(from Australia)

Cryptocurrency platform Crypto.com accidentally transfers $10.5 million to Melbourne woman

It took the company seven months to realise its mistake. By the time they did, millions had already been spent.

Two Melbourne women have gone on a spending spree after $10.5 million was accidentally deposited into one of their bank accounts.

One of the world’s largest cryptocurrency trading platforms, Crypto.com, accidentally transferred the money to Thevamanogari Manivel back in May 2021, when the company was attempting to process a refund of just $100.

Instead of transferring the refund, however, someone entered an account number in the payment section and accidentally transferred the large sum.

Now, seven months on, the company has launched legal action against Manivel and her sister Thilagavathy Gangadory, after realising its mistake.

The error was discovered during an audit in December 2021, court documents revealed.

The only issue - Manivel and Gangadory had already spent a portion of the money.

The court found that following the error last year, Manivel transferred the $10.1 million into a joint account.

Then in February this year, the funds were taken out of two accounts to buy a $1.35m million property in Craigieburn.

It’s understood Manivel had bought the five-bedroom home as a gift for her sister.

Now, the crypto company has won part of their legal battle with a judge in Victoria’s Supreme Court ordering the luxury home be sold, and the money returned to the company.

7NEWS understands if the homeowner doesn’t put the property on the market a receiver could be appointed to arrange the sale, or if they ignore the orders they could face contempt of court.

“There’s no doubt that if you saw that in your account you would know it shouldn’t be there, and the onus is actually on you to actually call the sender and to say look that shouldn’t have come into my account,” Justin Lawrence from Henderson and Ball Lawyers told 7NEWS.

“If you’re withholding property of someone else you’re effectively holding property by deception, you’re not entitled to it, you need to give it back.”

The case returns to court in October.

https://theologyweb.com/campus/new-content/38

What would you do if you got an accidental refund like that?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    [BOX](from Australia)
    Know any good money-laundering services? I can find someone to handle my new passports on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Know any good money-laundering services? I can find someone to handle my new passports on my own.
      I'm disappointed to hear that you don't already have at least one stashed away in another name, although mine probably expired back in the late 80s or early 90s (how long are they good for?), even the Canadian one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Yarr. Send it to Sparko's Wash n Spend.

Comment

At first I would be tempted to keep it, but I think I would actually let them know they made a mistake. Maybe they would give me some as a reward.

Comment

Yarr. Send it to Sparko's Wash n Spend.
            Pfft. What does a pirate who never bathes know about washing anything?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

At first I would be tempted to keep it, but I think I would actually let them know they made a mistake. Maybe they would give me some as a reward.
              Even 1% would still mean about $68,000.

After taxes and inflation that would be enough to by a bottle of rum and a pack of bacon by years end.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Pfft. What does a pirate who never bathes know about washing anything?
                I know all about the "spend" part.

Comment

It has nothing to do with computers but the OP reminds of a newspaper report that appeared a few years ago in the Funny Old World section of Private Eye, although that recounted a financial loss not a gain.

An Israeli woman had decided to replace the very old mattress on her elderly mother's bed while the old lady was in hospital recovering from an operation. On her return home the mother became hysterical about the new mattress and berated her daughter for getting rid of the old one.

It transpired that out she had stashed all her savings in the mattress and subsequently had lost the equivalent of around 120,000 Euros when the mattress was taken away to the local tip.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I would sit on it and collect the interest, and wait for them to discover their mistake. It's not my job to police their deposits for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I would sit on it and collect the interest, and wait for them to discover their mistake. It's not my job to police their deposits for them.
                      Well as the OP said, the court gave them back the interest too.

Comment