Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What Part of Universal do Computer Manufacturers Not Understand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

You are just determined to make me build a computer, aren't you?

I was running three monitors before I got the new one. I will check sometime next week - I have a few bigger fish in the frying pan at the moment.

Okay, that and I dread pulling out that tower again...
    my computer setup

computer.jpg

Comment

I'm working on it!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

You are just determined to make me build a computer, aren't you?

I was running three monitors before I got the new one. I will check sometime next week - I have a few bigger fish in the frying pan at the moment.

Okay, that and I dread pulling out that tower again...
        These days you are often better off buying a prebuilt computer. Sure you can customize a bit more, but it will cost you more now. For what I have right now it would have cost me significantly more to get a less powerful PC. Like over $100 more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

These days you are often better off buying a prebuilt computer. Sure you can customize a bit more, but it will cost you more now. For what I have right now it would have cost me significantly more to get a less powerful PC. Like over $100 more.
          She already bought a pre-built computer. It doesn't have a graphics card though, so she's trying to make do with integrated graphics. But it won't run two monitors at full resolution. That's why I suggested she add a graphics card and upgrade the power supply. I'm not really trying to get her to build something from scratch. Anymore.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

She already bought a pre-built computer. It doesn't have a graphics card though, so she's trying to make do with integrated graphics. But it won't run two monitors at full resolution. That's why I suggested she add a graphics card and upgrade the power supply. I'm not really trying to get her to build something from scratch. Anymore.
            Ah, I misunderstood given the phrasing. Typically "building a computer" means more than just getting a new part or two. I'd call that "upgrading"*.

*Rarely upgrading can mean just getting a new one, but it's not common in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Ah, I misunderstood given the phrasing. Typically "building a computer" means more than just getting a new part or two. I'd call that "upgrading"*.

*Rarely upgrading can mean just getting a new one, but it's not common in my experience.
              She's just teasing me. Before she bought the computer this thread is about, she asked for advice on what to buy and I strongly recommended she build something from scratch. So now she's joking that my recommendation to upgrade is really an attempt to get her to build something from scratch.

Comment

She's just teasing me. Before she bought the computer this thread is about, she asked for advice on what to buy and I strongly recommended she build something from scratch. So now she's joking that my recommendation to upgrade is really an attempt to get her to build something from scratch.
                That makes more sense.

Comment

Just one little graphics card. It's just an upgrade. You can stop any time you like....

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

*emphasis mine

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Back on topic, the computer was running three monitors just fine. Two were refurbs and began to have issues (one decided it was an old school CRT TV and the other that everything needed a blue tint) so I replaced them both with a brand new 27in. That's when the resolution issues started.

I'm kinda leaning to getting a second 27in (still assuming that size not brand mattered) to replace the smaller monitor and see if it that fixes the problem. I'll pull out the tower next week and untangle the cable spaghetti to see what connector is to what monitor.

Pictures will be involved.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Back on topic, the computer was running three monitors just fine. Two were refurbs and began to have issues (one decided it was an old school CRT TV and the other that everything needed a blue tint) so I replaced them both with a brand new 27in. That's when the resolution issues started.

I'm kinda leaning to getting a second 27in (still assuming that size not brand mattered) to replace the smaller monitor and see if it that fixes the problem. I'll pull out the tower next week and untangle the cable spaghetti to see what connector is to what monitor.

Pictures will be involved.
                        What size were the two old monitors? What was the resolution of each?

Comment

Off the top of my head, 17 and 19 inch. Might be 15 and 17 instead. I'll check.

1280 x 1024

I never changed it so it should be the same. Rather, I put it back after Sparky or LJ had me try changing the resolution and it didn't work.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Off the top of my head, 17 and 19 inch. Might be 15 and 17 instead. I'll check.

1280 x 1024

I never changed it so it should be the same. Rather, I put it back after Sparky or LJ had me try changing the resolution and it didn't work.
                            If you changed the monitor, Windows probably automatically changed the resolution to the recommended setting. So what it is now, might not be what it was before.

What happens when you change the resolution on the main monitor to something a lot lower than what it is now? Will it then let you change the resolution on the other one? How about changing the refresh rate (in "Advanced Display Settings")?

Comment

If you are using the built in graphics instead of a separate graphics card how are you plugging in two monitors? Usually the built in graphics only has one monitor plug.

Does your computer have a USB C port? If so USB-c can usually handle monitors and you can do multiple monitors by buying a USB-C hub.

Comment

1) It was 17 & 19

2) We did that already. Only one monitor (the 19 inch) can be changed. I'll try again tonight (I have a Zoom call in a few minutes).

3) WHAT PART OF UNIVERSAL DO THE USB GUYS NOT GET?!?!?!?! Did USB go woke and not tell anybody? Is there a USBABCXYZ community now?!

I'll take a picture of the back and get back to you this evening...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment