Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What Part of Universal do Computer Manufacturers Not Understand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Yes, QF is correct, brightness is a button or in a menu on the monitor itself. The resolution between your 2 monitors looks drastically different. And 1280 x 1024 is very low resolution. I would set it to at least 1680 x 1050
    That was the OTHER thing I was trying to find the setting bar for...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

I always set my resolution to the native resolution of the monitor. That way it displays pixel for pixel and you get the clearest image possible. Also, some graphics cards, particularly integrated graphics, may not be capable of running at 1680 x 1050. I don't remember what Teallaura ended up getting, graphics-wise.

Even if the computer can handle it, depending on the aspect ratio of the monitor itself, setting your display to a drastically different aspect ratio (as you are suggesting) is either going to squash the image out of shape, or will add black bars to the top and bottom of the screen, depending on settings. It won't actually help get a clearer picture.
      I'm not even gonna pretend I can read this word spaghetti. Here's the link.

Because this was the only graphics thingie mentioned in the specs:
      Intel HD Graphics 4600

At the moment, the new monitor is at native resolution.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Where you see the diagram of the two monitors, the blue 1 and the white box with a 2 in it, you can click in each box then change the settings for that monitor. right now in your picture above you have monitor 1 selected, that is why it is blue. Any changes to resolution you make will only affect it. If you click on the box with "2" in it, it will turn blue, then you can change the resolution on that monitor. Then click apply at the bottom.
        Knew that!

Can't find where to change the resolution, though. Will try again in an hour or so. (I'm on a different computer right now. It's raining and I don't want to sit up at the other one just to play 'are we staying on or not' with the power. It flickered a few minutes ago and took five minutes to get internet back).

FYI: For those who are playing along, the new monitor is Number 2. That side.->

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ok. I looked at my own settings, and looked it up in the Help documentation. Apparently, Win 10 only has a brightness setting on certain types of laptop. So if you're using it on a desktop computer, you won't see brightness settings in Windows. You'll need to use the buttons on the monitor.
          Thank you! I watched four videos yesterday and just ended up frustrated as heck!

Now I just have to figure out those stupid buttons...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Knew that!

Can't find where to change the resolution, though. Will try again in an hour or so. (I'm on a different computer right now. It's raining and I don't want to sit up at the other one just to play 'are we staying on or not' with the power. It flickered a few minutes ago and took five minutes to get internet back).

FYI: For those who are playing along, the new monitor is Number 2. That side.->
            This is why I have a battery backup for both the computer and the modem/router. We get a lot of power flickers when the weather gets bad. But we never lose Internet, and my computer doesn't restart when the power flickers.

As far as where to change the resolution, it's in the screenshot you posted. Just click on the box that displays the current resolution, and you get a drop down box to select a different one. Then just click the one you want. The one that says (Recommended) next to it is your monitor's native resolution.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

This is why I have a battery backup for both the computer and the modem/router. We get a lot of power flickers when the weather gets bad. But we never lose Internet, and my computer doesn't restart when the power flickers.

As far as where to change the resolution, it's in the screenshot you posted. Just click on the box that displays the current resolution, and you get a drop down box to select a different one. Then just click the one you want. The one that says (Recommended) next to it is your monitor's native resolution.
              I own two backups. Ask me what doesn't work, I double dog dare you.

And lookie what happens when you switch to the second monitor:

7-13-22 3.jpg7-13-22 4.jpg

The pictures are of course backwards - number 2 is the one that won't allow a resolution change.
              Attached Files

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I own two backups. Ask me what doesn't work, I double dog dare you.

And lookie what happens when you switch to the second monitor:

7-13-22 3.jpg7-13-22 4.jpg

The pictures are of course backwards - number 2 is the one that won't allow a resolution change.
                What happens when you make #2 the main display?
                And which port is each plugged into?

Comment

Most square aspect lcd monitors have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 and most wide screen monitors have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Because the monitors are different sizes and different resolutions, you will never get them to match up exactly. Best to have two of the same monitors if you want that.

Comment

Most square aspect lcd monitors have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 and most wide screen monitors have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Because the monitors are different sizes and different resolutions, you will never get them to match up exactly. Best to have two of the same monitors if you want that.
                    I'm not picky - I just want the new monitor to look better than it does.

I will probably buy a second new monitor this month. I haven't convinced Mr Bank Account that we want to do this yet but I probably will go ahead.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

What happens when you make #2 the main display?
                      And which port is each plugged into?
                      The resolution on 2 stays grayed out and the resolution on 1 stays active.

Number 1 is on an old port, VCA I think. Number 2 is on a digital port that isn't USB or HMDI. This is what I have to work with.

I'm gonna need another adapter, aren't I?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The resolution on 2 stays grayed out and the resolution on 1 stays active.

Number 1 is on an old port, VCA I think. Number 2 is on a digital port that isn't USB or HMDI. This is what I have to work with.

I'm gonna need another adapter, aren't I?
                        Is it possible to switch the monitors so that they are each on the other port?

Comment

Is it possible to switch the monitors so that they are each on the other port?
                          Honestly don't know without taking it apart again. Adapters were involved.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You do mean two of the same size, right? I'm not sure I want another of the same exact type.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Honestly don't know without taking it apart again. Adapters were involved.
                              The reason I ask, is I suspect you don't have enough memory and computing power to run two displays at full resolution. It is probably limited by the type of connection. Your processor has a graphics processor built into it, and theoretically yours can handle three displays, but that is limited by other factors. You might not have enough RAM, for instance. So, only certain types of connection will be able to handle full resolution.

If you switch the monitors (where they plug in), and suddenly it's the other monitor's resolution that can't be adjusted, then that's what it is. I would suggest you get a video card because that will have its own memory and graphics processor and you'll most likely be able to run both monitors at full resolution. You would most likely also need to upgrade your power supply to have enough power for a video card.

Comment

The reason I ask, is I suspect you don't have enough memory and computing power to run two displays at full resolution. It is probably limited by the type of connection. Your processor has a graphics processor built into it, and theoretically yours can handle three displays, but that is limited by other factors. You might not have enough RAM, for instance. So, only certain types of connection will be able to handle full resolution.

If you switch the monitors (where they plug in), and suddenly it's the other monitor's resolution that can't be adjusted, then that's what it is. I would suggest you get a video card because that will have its own memory and graphics processor and you'll most likely be able to run both monitors at full resolution. You would most likely also need to upgrade your power supply to have enough power for a video card.
                                You are just determined to make me build a computer, aren't you?

I was running three monitors before I got the new one. I will check sometime next week - I have a few bigger fish in the frying pan at the moment.

Okay, that and I dread pulling out that tower again...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment