Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What Part of Universal do Computer Manufacturers Not Understand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Part of Universal do Computer Manufacturers Not Understand?

So, after two refurb monitors didn't hold up terribly well (they didn't die, exactly,,,) I bit the bullet and bought a brand new monitor. 27 in, Samsung. Yay, it arrived today.

I spent the day dang near killing myself trying to hook it up to my computer. My computer has every weirdly shaped hole you could ask for - except HDMI. Three ports on the monitor - only the HDMI cord included.

I ordered the first thing that looked like it might work from Amazon. On the only working monitor I had still attached. It gets here Tuesday.

Tried scavenging the first refurb I bought - okay, so there's another weirdly shaped hole my computer doesn't have. The second, however, had an old school cable which had needed an adapter to fit my computer. Wanna guess what worked?

I now have a lovely collection of monitor cables.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

20220708_095418.jpg20220708_095423.jpg20220708_095434.jpg
      Attached Files
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, anyone know how I can get my windows sized so that they match instead of being tiny one one or huge on the other?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Right clock on the desktop and go to Display settings. Change them to the same resolution.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            Right clock on the desktop and go to Display settings. Change them to the same resolution.
            Thanks. I'll try again tomorrow.

It took an hour to figure out brightness - and it wasn't anywhere it was supposed to be. Finally found a setting on the monitor that made it bearable.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It hates me. I did check and it's running Windows 10 Pro. I don't know if that explains why the brightness is missing in Display.

7-13-22 1.jpg7-13-22 2.jpg
              Attached Files

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                It hates me. I did check and it's running Windows 10 Pro. I don't know if that explains why the brightness is missing in Display.

Brightness is typically controlled via physical buttons somewhere on the monitor itself, usually around the bottom right corner.

I have Win 10 Pro too, I'll look and see what I can find regarding settings in the OS.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Yes, QF is correct, brightness is a button or in a menu on the monitor itself. The resolution between your 2 monitors looks drastically different. And 1280 x 1024 is very low resolution. I would set it to at least 1680 x 1050
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Ok. I looked at my own settings, and looked it up in the Help documentation. Apparently, Win 10 only has a brightness setting on certain types of laptop. So if you're using it on a desktop computer, you won't see brightness settings in Windows. You'll need to use the buttons on the monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      Yes, QF is correct, brightness is a button or in a menu on the monitor itself. The resolution between your 2 monitors looks drastically different. And 1280 x 1024 is very low resolution. I would set it to at least 1680 x 1050
                      I always set my resolution to the native resolution of the monitor. That way it displays pixel for pixel and you get the clearest image possible. Also, some graphics cards, particularly integrated graphics, may not be capable of running at 1680 x 1050. I don't remember what Teallaura ended up getting, graphics-wise.

Even if the computer can handle it, depending on the aspect ratio of the monitor itself, setting your display to a drastically different aspect ratio (as you are suggesting) is either going to squash the image out of shape, or will add black bars to the top and bottom of the screen, depending on settings. It won't actually help get a clearer picture.

Comment

If you have identical monitors, set the resolution and other stuff to be the same on both. Then use the monitor buttons to set the brightness, etc to be the same on both. Then your monitors should match.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Where you see the diagram of the two monitors, the blue 1 and the white box with a 2 in it, you can click in each box then change the settings for that monitor. right now in your picture above you have monitor 1 selected, that is why it is blue. Any changes to resolution you make will only affect it. If you click on the box with "2" in it, it will turn blue, then you can change the resolution on that monitor. Then click apply at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            If you have identical monitors, set the resolution and other stuff to be the same on both. Then use the monitor buttons to set the brightness, etc to be the same on both. Then your monitors should match.
                            I don't have identical monitors. I've had multiple monitors on this computer before that were a mishmash but I didn't have this problem until I installed the brand new monitor.

I am assuming that's because they were all around 15 to 19 inches before where the current set up has a 19 inch with the new 27 inch.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Brightness is typically controlled via physical buttons somewhere on the monitor itself, usually around the bottom right corner.

I have Win 10 Pro too, I'll look and see what I can find regarding settings in the OS.
                              Yeah, about that. My brand new monitor has a control thing that took its design cues from the old iPods - and not the good ones. Worse, it's hidden behind the monitor screen. Difficult to reach, more difficult to manipulate and impossible to read the little icon that does come up conveniently on the screen but doesn't have standard icons and doesn't believe in words.

And

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment