Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 11 leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    I just dance around naked in front of mine. That way anyone watching will go blind and kill themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I like Mossy's method better - you can't hack the sticker over the internetz web, and you can quickly see that it's still intact.
    By the way, I use a wooden clothespin, just to be different.

clothespin.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

Mossy's done that with her Windows 7 laptop webcam for years. With my Windows 8 laptop webcam, I just disable it in the Device Manager.
    I like Mossy's method better - you can't hack the sticker over the internetz web, and you can quickly see that it's still intact.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Just put a sticker on it.
    Mossy's done that with her Windows 7 laptop webcam for years. With my Windows 8 laptop webcam, I just disable it in the Device Manager.

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    A friend of mine mentioned something she'd heard about Windows 11 a few weeks ago, and only today did I remember to get around to checking out more information about it (though it appears to be old news; just new to me):

Apparently, starting in 2023, new Windows 11 laptops must include a front-facing camera of HD quality. (But only laptops, not desktops.)
    https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...cam-from-2023/

This disturbs me, and greatly reeks of privacy invasion.
    Just put a sticker on it.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    A friend of mine mentioned something she'd heard about Windows 11 a few weeks ago, and only today did I remember to get around to checking out more information about it (though it appears to be old news; just new to me):

Apparently, starting in 2023, new Windows 11 laptops must include a front-facing camera of HD quality. (But only laptops, not desktops.)
    https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...cam-from-2023/

This disturbs me, and greatly reeks of privacy invasion.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Sad day today. My old HP laptop that I have had since 2012 (my late mother gave it to me for Christmas) just bit the dust. I had it all upgraded to SSD, extra memory, etc. I couldn't get windows 11 to work on it though. I am gonna miss it since it was something my mom gave me just before she died.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Been running it a while now and I find it pretty much like Windows 10 in operation. Just looks a bit fancier. I am using Start11 to make my windows button look more like windows 10. It basically lets you customize your start menu to look how you want, moving the icons to the left of the taskbar, etc.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Last update they tried to get me to download it.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    While Buckwheat was here early last week, I had a brief chance to look at Windows 11 in action on her laptop (by way of updating The Traveller's Guide for her)! Aside from the pinned icons on the taskbar being centered instead of left-justified, it didn't look to me like it was a whole lot different than 10. But -- I was pleased to see that both ports (DirectDraw and Direct3D) of The Traveller's Guide do work, even though the DirectDraw port was slow (but that's been true since Windows 8).

So now I can say I've seen Windows 11 in action, if only briefly.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Can it make the start menu look more like Win 8?
    Why would you want to do that?????

No. It has Windows 7, 10 and 11. and something called "modern style"

It also allows you to customize each one, like putting the menu at the top of the screen, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So far I like windows 11. I use Stardock Start 11 to make the start menu look more like windows 10.
    Can it make the start menu look more like Win 8?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    So far I like windows 11. I use Stardock Start 11 to make the start menu look more like windows 10.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

I can't say I've ever used SpinRite or seen it in action, but I've used some of his freeware utilities. I'm impressed that he programs them all in assembly.
    Yup - tight code, tiny executables.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied

WOW!!!!! Steve Gibson --- I had been using his SpinRite for AGES!!! Some of the tightest code I've ever seen, defragging disks and doing all kinds of neat stuff!
    I can't say I've ever used SpinRite or seen it in action, but I've used some of his freeware utilities. I'm impressed that he programs them all in assembly.

Leave a comment: