Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 11 leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I wait more than three days to download an update my computer starts acting up so by the fourth it'll end up locking up forcing a reboot -- and downloading the latest update.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
      Just in case anyone doesn't want a forced upgrade to Windows 11 from 10 -- or even to a newer build of 10 -- there is now a utility from the creator of Never10 which claims to prevent said force updates, called InControl.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm
      I'm getting SO TIRED of a "new computer" every week.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just in case anyone doesn't want a forced upgrade to Windows 11 from 10 -- or even to a newer build of 10 -- there is now a utility from the creator of Never10 which claims to prevent said force updates, called InControl.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm
        WOW!!!!! Steve Gibson --- I had been using his SpinRite for AGES!!! Some of the tightest code I've ever seen, defragging disks and doing all kinds of neat stuff!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

WOW!!!!! Steve Gibson --- I had been using his SpinRite for AGES!!! Some of the tightest code I've ever seen, defragging disks and doing all kinds of neat stuff!
          I can't say I've ever used SpinRite or seen it in action, but I've used some of his freeware utilities. I'm impressed that he programs them all in assembly.
          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I can't say I've ever used SpinRite or seen it in action, but I've used some of his freeware utilities. I'm impressed that he programs them all in assembly.
            Yup - tight code, tiny executables.

Comment

So far I like windows 11. I use Stardock Start 11 to make the start menu look more like windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                So far I like windows 11. I use Stardock Start 11 to make the start menu look more like windows 10.
                Can it make the start menu look more like Win 8?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Can it make the start menu look more like Win 8?
                  Why would you want to do that?????

No. It has Windows 7, 10 and 11. and something called "modern style"

It also allows you to customize each one, like putting the menu at the top of the screen, etc.

Comment

While Buckwheat was here early last week, I had a brief chance to look at Windows 11 in action on her laptop (by way of updating The Traveller's Guide for her)! Aside from the pinned icons on the taskbar being centered instead of left-justified, it didn't look to me like it was a whole lot different than 10. But -- I was pleased to see that both ports (DirectDraw and Direct3D) of The Traveller's Guide do work, even though the DirectDraw port was slow (but that's been true since Windows 8).

So now I can say I've seen Windows 11 in action, if only briefly.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

• Last update they tried to get me to download it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Been running it a while now and I find it pretty much like Windows 10 in operation. Just looks a bit fancier. I am using Start11 to make my windows button look more like windows 10. It basically lets you customize your start menu to look how you want, moving the icons to the left of the taskbar, etc.

Comment

• Sad day today. My old HP laptop that I have had since 2012 (my late mother gave it to me for Christmas) just bit the dust. I had it all upgraded to SSD, extra memory, etc. I couldn't get windows 11 to work on it though. I am gonna miss it since it was something my mom gave me just before she died.

Comment

• A friend of mine mentioned something she'd heard about Windows 11 a few weeks ago, and only today did I remember to get around to checking out more information about it (though it appears to be old news; just new to me):

Apparently, starting in 2023, new Windows 11 laptops must include a front-facing camera of HD quality. (But only laptops, not desktops.)
                            https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...cam-from-2023/

This disturbs me, and greatly reeks of privacy invasion.
                            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                              A friend of mine mentioned something she'd heard about Windows 11 a few weeks ago, and only today did I remember to get around to checking out more information about it (though it appears to be old news; just new to me):

Apparently, starting in 2023, new Windows 11 laptops must include a front-facing camera of HD quality. (But only laptops, not desktops.)
                              https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...cam-from-2023/

This disturbs me, and greatly reeks of privacy invasion.
                              Just put a sticker on it.
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Just put a sticker on it.
                                Mossy's done that with her Windows 7 laptop webcam for years. With my Windows 8 laptop webcam, I just disable it in the Device Manager.
                                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment