Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 11 leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

There have been several Win10 updates, after which I had to set my browser back to Chrome AGAIN!

Or, in all those "welcome to" screens after a major update, they really try to push you to switch back to their browser.
    yeah I hate that. Edge isn't a bad browser, and it is basically Chrome in a costume, but I don't like being told what to use, and I personally like firefox as my browser. Mainly because of some addons I use. And it seems easier to customize.

Comment

Starting to get popups asking if I want to download W11

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Starting to get popups asking if I want to download W11
        Yup - in my "notifications" I get that Win11 is already waiting to be installed.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It sounds like we need a "Never11" to go along with Never10. Too bad such a thing doesn't exist yet to my knowledge.
          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I am sitting here bored and decided to install W11 on my new notebook computer. I don't really have any software installed on it other than utilities so i can reset it to windows 10 if I need to.

So far I am not that impressed. The new start menu kind of sucks. I liked the windows 10 look better (but I said that about windows 7 after I installed windows 10).

I will report back after using it a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I am sitting here bored and decided to install W11 on my new notebook computer. I don't really have any software installed on it other than utilities so i can reset it to windows 10 if I need to.

So far I am not that impressed. The new start menu kind of sucks. I liked the windows 10 look better (but I said that about windows 7 after I installed windows 10).

I will report back after using it a few days.
              Cool.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

so far the default browser thing isn't as bad as they were making out. When you click links in a browser it stays in that browser. I was thinking it would try to jump to edge every time you click a link. If I click on a pdf document it pops up a window asking me how I want to open it. Using firefox (the browser I am in) or edge, or my adobe reader. You can pick which one, and can check a box to "make this the default from now on" or not.

seems to have a lot more apps for things, like facebook. They might have had those in the microsoft store for windows 10 but I never used them. But they appear on my start menu now and are installed when you first click on them.

It pretty much feels just like windows 10. I haven't had any programs complain or not run yet, but I don't have much installed on this notebook either. Mostly just browser and entertainment stuff. I do have Stardock object desktop installed and it has various utilities and I could make the start menu look like windows 10 or 7 if I want but for now I will leave everything like it is to get used to w11.

Comment

I'd be curious to know what version of DirectX is reported by the diagnostic tool (dxdiag.exe).
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

so far the default browser thing isn't as bad as they were making out. When you click links in a browser it stays in that browser. I was thinking it would try to jump to edge every time you click a link. If I click on a pdf document it pops up a window asking me how I want to open it. Using firefox (the browser I am in) or edge, or my adobe reader. You can pick which one, and can check a box to "make this the default from now on" or not.

seems to have a lot more apps for things, like facebook. They might have had those in the microsoft store for windows 10 but I never used them. But they appear on my start menu now and are installed when you first click on them.

It pretty much feels just like windows 10. I haven't had any programs complain or not run yet, but I don't have much installed on this notebook either. Mostly just browser and entertainment stuff. I do have Stardock object desktop installed and it has various utilities and I could make the start menu look like windows 10 or 7 if I want but for now I will leave everything like it is to get used to w11.
                    I need to see if my windows shell works with 11.

Hmmmmm... maybe not yet - Open Shell

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                      I'd be curious to know what version of DirectX is reported by the diagnostic tool (dxdiag.exe).
                      directx12

want me to try out your game? send me the link

Comment

directx12
                        That's interesting, since Windows 10 also ships with DirectX 12.

want me to try out your game? send me the link
                        I would love for you to try it as for the time being I have no way to test it myself. When you do try it, feel free to go post about it in my thread so it doesn't clutter up this one. Though I have the links in the thread's opening post, I'll put them again here for you...

[Edit: To avoid having spambots flood my site, I've changed its address and no longer making it available to the general public. But if you ask it of me via a private message, I'll be happy to give it to you. ]

Thanks again for offering; that means a great deal to me. (And no need to play through it unless you really want to; I just need to know that it works.)
                        Last edited by The Melody Maker; 09-21-2023, 03:03 PM.
                        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Based on Sparky's findings, it appears that Windows 11 continues to support 32-bit applications, shipping with the Visual Basic 6 runtime and having full support for DirectX 8 (and limited support for DirectX 7, which has been true since Windows 8). Despite the absence of Internet Explorer, it still has support for HTML Help and DirectShow.

I am content, and can wait indefinitely to see it in action for myself.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            Based on Sparky's findings, it appears that Windows 11 continues to support 32-bit applications, shipping with the Visual Basic 6 runtime and having full support for DirectX 8 (and limited support for DirectX 7, which has been true since Windows 8). Despite the absence of Internet Explorer, it still has support for HTML Help and DirectShow.

I am content, and can wait indefinitely to see it in action for myself.
                            Lemme know when it's safe to get back in the water.

Comment

so far windows 11 works fine. Don't really notice much difference other than cosmetic and some new apps, like the widgets thing, which is more like a customizable feed that I doubt I will ever use.

Comment

Just in case anyone doesn't want a forced upgrade to Windows 11 from 10 -- or even to a newer build of 10 -- there is now a utility from the creator of Never10 which claims to prevent said force updates, called InControl.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm
                                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment