Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 11 leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anybody here actually using Win11?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Is anybody here actually using Win11?
      I have been checking reviews online but it still seems too soon to know if it is good or bad. Right now most of the reviews are favorable, but mostly talk about the interface and how things look. I think it is still in the honeymoon phase. I think we will start seeing more objective reviews in a couple of months in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have been checking reviews online but it still seems too soon to know if it is good or bad. Right now most of the reviews are favorable, but mostly talk about the interface and how things look. I think it is still in the honeymoon phase. I think we will start seeing more objective reviews in a couple of months in.
        Yeah, and a common comment I see is that it's looking more "Mac-ish". The review I just watched said it's still buggy, like the new "windows explorer" often defaulting back to the old explorer.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, and a common comment I see is that it's looking more "Mac-ish". The review I just watched said it's still buggy, like the new "windows explorer" often defaulting back to the old explorer.
          Yeah the one bad thing I read was that it was very difficult to set a default browser other than Edge. You have to make changes in multiple places in the settings app.

Comment

Yeah the one bad thing I read was that it was very difficult to set a default browser other than Edge. You have to make changes in multiple places in the settings app.
            And every time Windows updates (10) it tries to change your browser back to Edge.

Comment

And every time Windows updates (10) it tries to change your browser back to Edge.
              I never had that problem. Now sometimes when I open Edge it does the "Hey we noticed edge isn't your default brower do ya wanna change it?" but I just dismiss that. And hardly use edge except at work. Mostly I use firefox.

Comment

I never had that problem. Now sometimes when I open Edge it does the "Hey we noticed edge isn't your default brower do ya wanna change it?" but I just dismiss that. And hardly use edge except at work. Mostly I use firefox.
                I used to use Firefox - for a LONG TIME, I was a dedicated Firefox user, but I started using Chrome, and I like it a lot better - it seems "snappier", and I had a lot of frozen screens or "oooops" Firefox experiences.

Comment

I used to use Firefox - for a LONG TIME, I was a dedicated Firefox user, but I started using Chrome, and I like it a lot better - it seems "snappier", and I had a lot of frozen screens or "oooops" Firefox experiences.
                  Chrome seems to have a ton of processes running all the time

Comment

Looks like Windows 11 is bringing back the infamous blue screen of death

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I am just curious if they will relax the hardware requirements in the future so that more PCs can be upgraded. At some point they are going to get tired of supporting Windows 10 and will want to get people on Windows 11, but their hardware requirements pretty much stops most PCs built before 2018 and I don't think people will willingly go out and buy a new PC just because of Windows 11. One of the biggest blocks is requiring a TPM 2.0 security chip and UEFI Bios. My Microsoft surface pro from 2016 won't even run Windows 11. I think it is the TPM 2.0 chip that is stopping it. The standard was released in 2014 but it takes a few years before manufacturers start using it in new chips. And then there is the graphic card requirement. Right now you can't buy a new graphics card without spending a fortune. The prices are ridiculously high because of chip shortages and people using GPUs for crypto-mining.

ETA the problem with the Surface pro I have is that the CPU doesn't meet the requirements. It requires a gen 8 intel chip. I think mine is gen 6. That alone will eliminate putting W11 on most laptops built before 2018.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 11-16-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I am just curious if they will relax the hardware requirements in the future so that more PCs can be upgraded. At some point they are going to get tired of supporting Windows 10 and will want to get people on Windows 11, but their hardware requirements pretty much stops most PCs built before 2018 and I don't think people will willingly go out and buy a new PC just because of Windows 11. One of the biggest blocks is requiring a TPM 2.0 security chip and UEFI Bios. My Microsoft surface pro from 2016 won't even run Windows 11. I think it is the TPM 2.0 chip that is stopping it. The standard was released in 2014 but it takes a few years before manufacturers start using it in new chips. And then there is the graphic card requirement. Right now you can't buy a new graphics card without spending a fortune. The prices are ridiculously high because of chip shortages and people using GPUs for crypto-mining.

ETA the problem with the Surface pro I have is that the CPU doesn't meet the requirements. It requires a gen 8 intel chip. I think mine is gen 6. That alone will eliminate putting W11 on most laptops built before 2018.
                        So there's a way to permanently block Win11 install, yes? I think I saw a Tom's Hardware issue on that.

The Wednesday Night updates are getting to be a REAL nuisance!!!

Comment

So the latest news is that Windows 11 is forcing you to use their Edge browser by making it extremely difficult to switch away from it. You not only have to change your default browser in settings, but then have to change it in several other places for every file type. And even then various apps will still use Edge.
                          See: https://www.howtogeek.com/767462/how...on-windows-11/

Some browsers and a few third party apps have tried to automate this process but now Microsoft is actively blocking them! This reminds me of the early browser wars when Microsoft had to stop bundling Explorer with windows for a while. I wonder if there will be lawsuits about this?

Windows 11 Will Soon Block All Default Browser Workarounds

Microsoft really wants you to use Edge. It wants you to use it so badly that it’s making switching your default browser an incredibly annoying process. And those workarounds that are out there? You can forget about those soon.

RELATED: How to Change the Default Web Browser on Windows 11

Daniel Aleksandersen, the creator of EdgeDeflector, wrote a blog post (h/t Thurrott). He said the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview builds prevent apps like EdgeDeflector and other workarounds from getting around Microsoft’s complicated process of changing the default browser and fighting off “microsoft-edge:// links.” Here’s what the post says:
                          Something changed between Windows 11 builds 22483 and 22494 (both Windows Insider Preview builds.) The build changelog makes a few mentions of changes to the protocol and file associations/default apps system. However, it omitted the headline news: You can no longer bypass Microsoft Edge using apps like EdgeDeflector.
                          With the current workarounds, such as EdgeDeflector and Firefox’s trick, the tools intercept OS-level URL requests that force you to use Microsoft Edge. EdgeDeflector Developer Aleksandersen says, “EdgeDeflector is an app that intercepts microsoft-edge:// links — found throughout the Windows 10 and 11 shells and other Microsoft apps — and redirects them to regular https:// links that open in your default web browser. Microsoft uses these links instead of regular web links to force users to open them in its Microsoft Edge web browser.”
                          https://www.howtogeek.com/768188/win...r-workarounds/

Comment

So the latest news is that Windows 11 is forcing you to use their Edge browser by making it extremely difficult to switch away from it. You not only have to change your default browser in settings, but then have to change it in several other places for every file type. And even then various apps will still use Edge.
                            See: https://www.howtogeek.com/767462/how...on-windows-11/

Some browsers and a few third party apps have tried to automate this process but now Microsoft is actively blocking them! This reminds me of the early browser wars when Microsoft had to stop bundling Explorer with windows for a while. I wonder if there will be lawsuits about this?

Windows 11 Will Soon Block All Default Browser Workarounds

Microsoft really wants you to use Edge. It wants you to use it so badly that it’s making switching your default browser an incredibly annoying process. And those workarounds that are out there? You can forget about those soon.

RELATED: How to Change the Default Web Browser on Windows 11

Daniel Aleksandersen, the creator of EdgeDeflector, wrote a blog post (h/t Thurrott). He said the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview builds prevent apps like EdgeDeflector and other workarounds from getting around Microsoft’s complicated process of changing the default browser and fighting off “microsoft-edge:// links.” Here’s what the post says:
                            Something changed between Windows 11 builds 22483 and 22494 (both Windows Insider Preview builds.) The build changelog makes a few mentions of changes to the protocol and file associations/default apps system. However, it omitted the headline news: You can no longer bypass Microsoft Edge using apps like EdgeDeflector.
                            With the current workarounds, such as EdgeDeflector and Firefox’s trick, the tools intercept OS-level URL requests that force you to use Microsoft Edge. EdgeDeflector Developer Aleksandersen says, “EdgeDeflector is an app that intercepts microsoft-edge:// links — found throughout the Windows 10 and 11 shells and other Microsoft apps — and redirects them to regular https:// links that open in your default web browser. Microsoft uses these links instead of regular web links to force users to open them in its Microsoft Edge web browser.”
                            https://www.howtogeek.com/768188/win...r-workarounds/
                            This sounds like material for an anti-trust suit.

Comment

This sounds like material for an anti-trust suit.
                              Yup. They seem to want to force everyone to use their browser so they can also direct people to Bing and MSNBC. And they aren't even shy about it. Heck they might even extend it to Windows 10.

Comment

Yup. They seem to want to force everyone to use their browser so they can also direct people to Bing and MSNBC. And they aren't even shy about it. Heck they might even extend it to Windows 10.
                                There have been several Win10 updates, after which I had to set my browser back to Chrome AGAIN!

Or, in all those "welcome to" screens after a major update, they really try to push you to switch back to their browser.

Comment